Pirate Game in UE4

• Over the summer I started working on a pirate game in Unreal Engine 4 inspired by Sea of Thieves and a smaller game made by a friend. This is my first project in UE4 and it is fully programmed in blueprints (UE4's visual scripting system)! The objective of the game is loosely defined - find treasure, earn gold, gain special abilities, craft things, form crews. If you would like to join the private multiplayer tests in the future, message me your steam account and I'll let you know when I host the server!

Current features:

• Steam multiplayer
    • Item system
    • Level system (not sure if this will be used yet)
    • Combat system (swords, guns, animations, models)
    • Player account saving (inventory, level, name, etc.)
    • Ocean, one island, & day/night cycle
    • Chat system

Gifs from development and multiplayer testing:
    alt text
    alt text
    alt text
    alt text
    alt text
    alt text
    This was one of the more interesting bugs to deal with.
    alt text
    This happened after messing with character movement settings. The running name currently is Underwear Pirates Dolphin Simulator.
    alt text

Anyway, this project was awesome to work on. Development went from all day every day to 0% when classes started 10 weeks ago, but I still plan to finish it some day...

These 2 tutorials were a big help on this project:
    Blueprint Multiplayer
    RPG Tutorial Series

Views
  • @dampedmarrow435 nice job keep it up

• @dampedmarrow435

Looks quite amazing so far! Keep at it! :)

• @dampedmarrow435 Wow! Great work so far!

• @enougherclues @Capta1n-Cr0ss @stacky-a Thank you! I haven't shown this to anyone before now other than my 10 steam buddies who help with testing. If anyone wants to join multiplayer tests in the future, message me your steam info!

• You do know Rare is hiring, right...? This is amazing.I started learning game design with Unity and never could get the hang of it. I wonder if UE4 would be easier.

• @vilksian Thanks! I wonder if Rare has internships. I'd probably need to have at least one game released before I can apply for positions like that. I'm a senior in college studying mechanical engineering and most my time has been shifted to my design project - converting a Chevy Bolt into an autonomous vehicle by May, so lots of robotics programming. Maybe I'm in the wrong field... little too late to switch haha

• @dampedmarrow435 Maybe, maybe not. Just in case though, scroll down. Bottom-right corner. They should have details.

• @dampedmarrow435 Rare do have internships you should checkout the link below -

• @stacky-a From the looks of that pic. First requirement = Must like Grog. Makes sense.

• being a developer for a triple A titles is a lot different than being an Unreal developer. There are a bunch of things that you need be aware of, such as coding. Unreal uses the blueprint so there really isn't a lot of coding that needs to be done, Unity is more coding with scripts with JS and C#.

You wont get water effects like that in the Unreal Engine, effects like that they had to import in. There are also custom shaders and many other things that you have to be aware of.

If anyone wants to be a game developer learning c++ is probably going to be the most helpful. Mostly because most custom game engines are written in c++ and transitioning to other languages such as C# in Unity will be easy

• @buccaneernben I would love to try this game if you are willing to send info Also looking for a new exciting game to play. I am also a fellow Unreal developer and that is how I saw sea of thieves and I know how hard it can be to make a game like this. my steam is Tbonett33

• Looks great so far. Maybe keep the inside-out guy "bug". ;)

• @clumsy-george said in Pirate Game in UE4:

@buccaneernben
    Hello Mr Buccaneerben, you said you made that program in the Unreal 4 Engine.i will probably ask a stupid question ( * You George, never whahaaahaaa) but how did you get acces towards that Unreal 4 Engine? i thought that this was only reserved for company's who bought the copyrights or whatever it is called...

Anyone can use it. Download is free. If you sell something you made with it, Epic gets a cut.

• @buccaneernben said in Pirate Game in UE4:

@vilksian so lots of robotics programming. Maybe I'm in the wrong field... little too late to switch haha

If you're familiar with robotics, you likely have a leg up as far as AI programming goes, which is of course used hugely in determining NPC behavior.

Views
14 out of 15