Hour Glass rework

• Hour Glass PVP needs a rework…

I believe hour glass should be a selection from the main menu. You can select between Sailing the open seas, Hour Glass PvP, or tall tales.

By entering the Hour Glass mode you can select between which faction you want to represent and from there on it will bring you to 2 different options. The first one being a casual match where it’s skill based matchmaking, based off of the amount of ships you’ve sunk, your hour glass faction level and your pirate k/d. The second option is ranked where you can battle for more rewards based off the rank you earn each season so players can grind to become the best.

Views
  • @i-ghxsti-i
    Quite reminder that HG is not filled with players, therefore by adding ranks, better sbmm, it would extend the loading time for finding matches.

• @i-ghxsti-i

Unless the population increases, I think the current Elo system is as close to a SBMM as we'll get.

That said, I think jumping into HG straight from the menu is a pretty good QoL improvement.

Select HG; select faction; select guild/captaincy/non-captained ships. For captained ships: in the ship menu window (where you choose to restore your ship) there should be an option to "fully stock" your ship, where you spend one lump-sum for all crates & shipwright supplies (minus firecrackers and worms). Crates would spawn onto the deck and shipwright supplies spawned into barrels as usual.

In another thread, I remember seeing a suggestion to be able to select an emissary from the voyage table. Not just for HG, but for all ships. And I see no harm in this, as long as voting down is still done at the respective tables.

Adding these two ideas together would help save time stocking up & getting started in HG.

One thing Arena will always have over HG is that it was a true "jump into action" mode. HG is more of a "crawl your way into action" tool.

• This is why Arena died, because it was a separate mode and was difficult to maintain. HG is well integrated into adventure now and doesn’t need a rework.

• @tesiccl said:

This is why Arena died, because it was a separate mode and was difficult to maintain. HG is well integrated into adventure now and doesn’t need a rework.

I don't think OP was asking for a separate HG mode...

When I read it, I read it as a request for an alternative method to start an Adventure session, throwing you directly into HG.

Same as starting a session through the Monkey Island menu, spawning you in at the green tent. Or the way APL spawned you in at the Castaway.

Only part of OP's request that I don't think is possible is the complex SBMM/ranked fights. Current HG player pool isn't large enough to sustain that.

• Hourglass does not need to be a mode like arena.

It was designed for a pvp on demand while still being part of the same adventure world.

This won’t fix anything. It be a hot new experience which will end up being empty. (Like arena a separate server)

• As much as HG struggles I still think it (or a reworked version of it) is the future for a lot of pvp in the game.

It's undeniable that the game has become more and more casual which can be fun but is far from a real challenge or true excitement for many experienced players in general and especially pvpers.

There will always be some pvp interest in the game, even as frustrating as it can be for players so I do think at some point there will be something pretty cool for pvpers. Just takes a long time to get there in SoT.

As contentious as the topic of pvp can be it's always been clear to me that it is something are committed to in the game.

Competitive pvp is probably what I'm most optimistic about in SoT for the future, even though it's been a struggle along the way. I think 12 and 13 and 14 will be part of the journey there but I think that SoT still may have some pretty cool pvp in the future beyond the next few seasons.

• @wolfmanbush said:

Competitive pvp is probably what I'm most optimistic about in SoT for the future, even though it's been a struggle along the way. I think 12 and 13 and 14 will be part of the journey there but I think that SoT still may have some pretty cool pvp in the future beyond the next few seasons.

PvP is inherently "competition," and PvP will always be a part of SoT... but I'm willing to bet my main acct that we don't ever see an actual competitive mode, which would sustain an actual competitive league like Arena was able to sustain NAL.

I'm sure they'll rework HG, but the way I see it evolving is going to be in line with the casual direction everything else has been heading in.

• @theblackbellamy said in Hour Glass rework:

@wolfmanbush said:

PvP is inherently "competition," and PvP will always be a part of SoT... but I'm willing to bet my main acct that we don't ever see an actual competitive mode, which would sustain an actual competitive league like Arena was able to sustain NAL.

I'm sure they'll rework HG, but the way I see it evolving is going to be in line with the casual direction everything else has been heading in.

Maybe. I've never seen their actions as against higher skill competitive play, I've seen it as a struggle to work that into the overall project while trying to avoid some of the more unpleasant parts of a competitive scene.

Maybe they just keep flooding adventure with casual design and throw some stuff to HG to bring it along but I think they are open to a healthy competitive scene, not just casual pvp and not esports but something that supports higher skilled players that I do think they want to eventually support with more content.

Views
1 out of 9