Lock 'em up!

• I posted this in someone else's thread on the Brig (jail) cell on ships. But I wanted to bring it out for a fuller discussion.

The idea is to be able to capture pirates who are on your ship, but are not part of your crew.

It works like this:
    Enemy boards my ship. I Kill 'em while they are physically on my ship. As their spirit is leaving their body I can interact to automatically lock said pirate in the cell (or chain them to the wall in the bed area on a sloop). They are then stuck in that situation until one of a few scenario's happen.

1. A predetermined amount of time elapses (playtesting required, say 2 minutes to start).
    2. The enemy ship is sunk. (Automatic release)
    3. The enemy ship is a certain distance away. (Automatic release)
    4. Another boarder boards the ship, interacts with the cell and releases them. (Playtesting required for interaction time, say equal to boarding a T3 hole)
    5. A crew-member interacts with the cell and releases them. (Same interaction time as #4).
    6. Your ship sinks (automatic trip to the ferry, poor soul)

The cell blocks all interaction with the ship. The enemy player cannot fill (or empty) their bucket, throw items, or be impacted by fire/blunder bombs

For balance purposes, I would say that locking someone up also requires the use of a limited "manacle" item. Rarity to be determined through playtesting.

Views
  • Invite newbie to my ship. (Form alliance?) Kill them and lock them in brig

Nothing more toxic than that.

• @burnbacon

Yes. But, it's limited (2 min), and they won't make that mistake again. So, yes, you can troll, but it's not a big one...

Also, that level of skullduggery seems fitting in general with the pirate game and alliances already

• This would be kind of funny and interesting tbf. I can imagine getting pretty raged if it happened to me solo tho 😂

• Can't get behind this idea; It removes a player from playing the game, even if it's only for a few minutes or so.
    Not a fun thing.

Imagine being a Solo Slooper; A 4-man rock up on you, kill you, and lock you in their brig.
    They then proceed to camp your ship, kill you, and re-brig you every time you are set free.
    They make no effort to sail away from you ship, so you won't get free that way.
    They make no effort to sink your ship, so no getting free that way.

• @tybald sooo, essentially, you want a boarder(s) to get stuck with a 2 minute respawn time?
    I want you to start a timer. watch all 120 seconds tick by. All while someone hurls insults at you.

• This is a silly idea with an inherent bias towards punishing boarding. If you prefer naval you force that type of fight by keeping pressure on them and defending boards, it already has risk of leaving ship a man down and board not being easy....

Edit to add, you may suspect I'm biased but I personally am much better at naval than boarding and close quarters combat.

• I always liked the idea of locking an opponent in the brig and not just your own team but it is something that has to be very well thought out so it doesn't turn in to a hated mechanic.

• @pithyrumble

Notice I put in playtesting to determine timing? I assume not as you seem to be unable to grasp that the 2 min timer was a starting point not the actual suggestion.

• @guildar9194 said in Lock 'em up!:

Can't get behind this idea; It removes a player from playing the game, even if it's only for a few minutes or so.
    Not a fun thing.

Imagine being a Solo Slooper; A 4-man rock up on you, kill you, and lock you in their brig.
    They then proceed to camp your ship, kill you, and re-brig you every time you are set free.
    They make no effort to sail away from you ship, so you won't get free that way.
    They make no effort to sink your ship, so no getting free that way.

They'd have to harpoon you onto their ship and kill you to brig you, but they'd do it. I know the answer of "record it, and report it" doesn't make this much better, but I do like the idea of capturing boarders who die on my ship. Make them think twice about whether boarding is the META or not...

• @lordqulex This is the way i see it as well.

• This is clearly biased toward boarders as mentioned before and it will only lead to long stalemates. Punishing initiative has never been SOT style.

• @metal-ravage said in Lock 'em up!:

This is clearly biased toward boarders as mentioned before and it will only lead to long stalemates. Punishing initiative has never been SOT style.

Half disagree. This is clearly biased toward boarders, but to me it's because boarding shouldn't be META. Due to the skill gap, a good boarder can end combat before it really begins. The issue with that is it draw attention away from what makes this game great: naval combat. You turn the wheel, you fire the cannons, you raise the sail, you crew the ship. That is unique to sea of thieves. If you like good melee combat, there is We Who Are About To Die, For Honor, Chivalry 2... If you like bunny hopping FPS action there's Overwatch 2, Apex Legends, Valorant... If you want a third-person naval game where you are the ship and command it's crew with vertical progression you have Skull and Bones, World of Warships...

What makes Sea of Thieves unique are the player pirates, that the ship doesn't sail itself under your command (sorry Burning Blade to be released), and the naval combat where your skill with the cannon determines if your shots land. Naval combat should be the focus and jumping off your ship should be punished more so if you lose.

But it will not lead to stalemates. It will lead to two minutes of being short-handed on your ship, and that can cause a disengage or a sink. The game needs to move away from two hour long chases or two hour long marathon encounters. Locking a prisoner in your brig will help that, just like how putting a player in the penalty box helps hockey teams score goals.

• @tybald

If i were to tell you that boarding is already punishable, this would instead cause very defensive cycle. If you want to see what that looks like, go to fortnite and challange a good builder to a duel.

This is a typical response to a situation where someone gains the upper hand in territory they excel at, and sink you very fast though that method, but you dont blame the difference in experience, and go for blaming the tool. If boarding got more punishable, the players using it would swap to using another tool. This can be backed up by the amount of complains that arrived when chainshots were introduced.

Lets also mention that there are cursed cannonballs in the game. In adition blunderbombs are seen as a game changer in higher levels of gameplay. The gameplay loop could be far worse if the sweats result to having to use other things.

Boarding is a double edged sword, since the player is forced up a narrow ladder without measure to defend himself getting onboard often facing more people than one, he is at a disadvantage. If he dies, good players doesnt need to repair their boat before firing, so the ship being one man down will likely loose. Evident in hourglass.

The only reason this topic is here is because the free world of high seas doesnt have matchmaking. You just regulate your opponents often by how much value you put on your boat.

• @wujuwarrior1375 It is punishable already but not to a point where it deters players.
    -Since the beginning of SOT one of the first things players always did was board the ship to drop anchor of the opponent.

Only time a player doesn't leave his ship is when he is by himself and already has a number of holes that need immediate repair.
    So unless your ship is practically sinking all other times you can afford to take a shot at boarding others since the worst thing that can happen is you are sent to the ship of the damned for the same period of time as when you die on your ship.

For me it doesn't matter if they call it punishment or whatever but i would like to see proper counter measures that would lessen that tactic, let boarding be a tactic for actually stealing treasures not the norm for sinking ships.

• @lordqulex TBH I'm fine with boarding being nerfed a bit, but its honestly just unfair to say "well, boarders are playing the game wrong, and naval is the "correct" way to play." Not everyone likes naval. Why should they be punished for that? Why should people be forced to spend 2 minutes doing absolutely nothing just because they used the strategy they like? Yes, naval should be more focused on. But that doesn't mean that people should be punished because they play the game how they want.

• @eva1977

I see your point. The tactic is overused, To a point where many sink as a result of it. It has been even more used before when sword staggered less and you could silent board, low community awareness, late mermaid spawns and not close to ships++. Its not that much used anymore in comparisson, but it is a defining tool.

I only see it overused when there is a skillgap in close quarters though. I myself am quite defective in close combat, so i often get boarded alot in that scenario. It often helps me though, but only in a 1v1 encounter where it is very risky to board. In crews its different. We get boarded once, repel it and next time it happens in when we are close to sinking, which is totally what is suppose to happen.

My point being, we dont get boarded if we can repel it. Not because we are better than him i close combat, but because 3 of us are better together than the one that comes over. The strategy doesnt work when people are in somewhat equal skill. If the gap is large, i would point to what i said earlier. Its a tool, removing it wont change the outcome, you, yourself change it.

• @lordqulex said in Lock 'em up!:

@metal-ravage said in Lock 'em up!:
    Half disagree. This is clearly biased toward boarders, but to me it's because boarding shouldn't be META.Due to the skill gap, a good boarder can end combat before it really begins. The issue with that is it draw attention away from what makes this game great: naval combat. You turn the wheel, you fire the cannons, you raise the sail, you crew the ship. That is unique to sea of thieves. If you like good melee combat, there is We Who Are About To Die, For Honor, Chivalry 2... If you like bunny hopping FPS action there's Overwatch 2, Apex Legends, Valorant... If you want a third-person naval game where you are the ship and command it's crew with vertical progression you have Skull and Bones, World of Warships...

Just because you have chosen to focus in only one aspect of the game, the naval combat doesn't makes boarding "META". SOT is neither of those games because it is a combination of all of them.

What makes Sea of Thieves unique are the player pirates, that the ship doesn't sail itself under your command (sorry Burning Blade to be released), and the naval combat where your skill with the cannon determines if your shots land. Naval combat should be the focus and jumping off your ship should be punished more so if you lose.

Try and say that to those who tuck in the different Forts and can end your ship before you even engage.

But it will not lead to stalemates. It will lead to two minutes of being short-handed on your ship, and that can cause a disengage or a sink. The game needs to move away from two hour long chases or two hour long marathon encounters. Locking a prisoner in your brig will help that, just like how putting a player in the penalty box helps hockey teams score goals.

What you are proposing here is to punish a boarder because the skill of one is outmatched by a whole crew. SOT is unique because it is the player who decides how to play, when to engage, when to run and how to do it by ending this freedom you are reducing SOT to another Skull & Bones.

• With insane harpoon anim assist I would just harpoon folks, blunder them into brig and then after 1,5 min blunder again them to add respawn timer up to locked timer.

Terrible idea that will backfire widening skill gap.

Being borded outside of 1v1 combat means the other crew ship allows them to be off 1 player. So naval preasure puted on them is to low.

• Even if we said boarding is too powerful (which it's not, outside of people using silent board exploit or tactically jumping off ship when in an orbital to surprise there is a notable difference in the cannon sound, splash on emerge) naval has only been nerfed recently so the game changes have made boarding a necessity to sink competent crews.

• @wujuwarrior1375
    What this does is change the calculation for boarding. It carries inherently more risk than currently. It also changes the goal with boarding. Under a scenario where getting killed on the ship means you end up a person down for extended periods, it encourages more "hit and run" tactics. You only end up in the cell if killed on the ship. So, hopping on, dropping an anchor and diving off is safer. It's now smarter to cause short term chaos and escape than it is to stay and cause as much as possible.

Plus, as noted in the OP there are multiple ways to get out of the cage. A larger crew could send a rescue party, or they could turn their ship to get the distance.

The distance angle changes strategy as well. Send a boarder from a distance, have them cause chaos, and then close the distance while they try to recover.

• @ghutar said in Lock 'em up!:

With insane harpoon anim assist I would just harpoon folks, blunder them into brig and then after 1,5 min blunder again them to add respawn timer up to locked timer.

Terrible idea that will backfire widening skill gap.

Being borded outside of 1v1 combat means the other crew ship allwos them to be off 1 player. So naval preasure puted on them is to low.

No. You see, I already addressed that. Once in the cell they are essentially isolated. They can't interact with the ship, the ship can't interact with them. You aren't going to blunder them, set them on fire, etc. You aren't going to kill them in the cell to keep them in the cell. At best, you might try to abuse #5, but that is easily remedied by having a crew release act like a mermaid, and just port them back to the ship. Also, easily adjustable that if they somehow manage to die in the cell, they immediately black screen back to their ship, like a mermaid.

• @gameglarb said in Lock 'em up!:

@lordqulex TBH I'm fine with boarding being nerfed a bit, but its honestly just unfair to say "well, boarders are playing the game wrong, and naval is the "correct" way to play." Not everyone likes naval. Why should they be punished for that? Why should people be forced to spend 2 minutes doing absolutely nothing just because they used the strategy they like? Yes, naval should be more focused on. But that doesn't mean that people should be punished because they play the game how they want.

In game design, there are two ways to get players to partake in intended gameplay: punish behavior that isn't intended, and reward behavior that is intended. I always prefer to encourage behavior that is intended, but in this case that would entail buffing cannons or nerfing planks, which is off-topic here. Locking players in the brig is punishing unintended behavior, which I generally frown upon, but it also is integral to the pirate genre.

I understand it's a hard sell though; boarding is also inherent to the pirate theme. The harpoon rifle is very "swing on a rope to the other ship like Errol Flynn." But people have been saying for years that the boarding META is broken. Boarding should be useful at the end of battle to secure the sink, not so powerful that at the beginning of the battle you send a pirate over because the skill gap will let you sink that other ship with a single hole. I want more naval, and this suggest, while maybe not the best, would do that, so I support it.

• @metal-ravage

Isn't that the problem? When you make a game for everyone, you make a game for no one. Maybe Sea of Thieves is trying to be too many things and that's why everything exists in this pseudo-broken state. Maybe if it tried to be less For Honor we'd be able to pick up supplies from the merchant consistently. Maybe if they tried to be less Apex Legends we wouldn't spend minutes in the black screen while catching a mermaid back to our ship. I'm not "choosing to focus on only one aspect of the game," I'm simply telling you what makes Sea of Thieves stand out from the crowd, what makes it different from the rest of the pirate/naval games, and what the Most Effective Tactic Available is with the current state of the skill gap. And my conclusion is that the boarding META takes focus away from what makes Sea of Thieves different from other games. That's a design defect in my opinion.

A big challenge is that the skill gap is causing two games to be played on the same board. You have the low-skill players that are simply trying to scrape by doing voyages and world events and turning them in for the gold and rep they still need, and the high-skill players doing high-skill activities and ploys like fort tucking and solo sloops fighting galleons. It's creating a predator-and-prey relationship between the new players and the old players, and as it turns out most new players don't like getting curb-stomped all the time and just being told "you need to analyze the loss and learn from your experiences" which is just the polite way to say "git gud." The problem is that boarding is only the META when the skill gap is wide, and it's only punishing when the skill gap is small. Good crews will send over a boarding from long or medium range to test the skill of the other crew, and if the boarder gets repelled they naval until the time is right. But if the boarder doesn't get repelled they go in for an easy sink.

And yes, while my opinion is tainted by my preferences, I feel that locking up a pirate in the brig for a minute or two would make people think twice about sending that boarder over. It makes boarding more risky and shakes up the META that Rare has clearly not intended.

• @lordqulex

I think there's a problem of framing. I do not see this as a punishment for boarding, I see it as a reward for stopping a boarder on your ship. It's breathing room, and it also changes the risk/reward calculation of boarding. As I said earlier. I think this would emphasize hit and run boarder tactics, as you want to minimize your exposure. You get on, cause quick chaos, and hop off, so as not to end up disadvantaging your team.

Also, I think it should be limited. That's why I suggested the use of a "Manacle" resource. It can be exauhsted. There really is an entire plan in the post, with all numbers to be adjusted in playtesting for actual viability.

• Its an effective tactic insofar as the person boarding is effective at it, and insofar as the situation allows.

If it was genuinely the most effective tactic available, why doesn't everyone just board spam?

When crew size and skill levels are different, the inherent risk in boarding goes down for the larger and more skillful crew... but I don't see this as a problem that needs a solution. It's just the nature of being on a more powerful and skillful crew. Shark eats the Fish. Balance is important, but we don't need so much balance that the Fish unintuitively eats the Shark.

When crew size and skill level is equal (or close to it) the risk in boarding becomes more apparent. One crewmate off the ship is one less crewmate to perform an essential task on the ship. And that could very will result in losing the fight.

My crew uses the tactic when we should, as the situation requires.

• @tybald said:

I do not see this as a punishment for boarding, I see it as a reward for stopping a boarder on your ship.

Imo, leaving the opposing crew a man down for a brief amount of time (scaled to crew size, as it currently is) is a sufficient reward.

• @tybald

But the point is lost then. Only reason a board is effective is beacuse you can harass the crew by simply being there. They have to drop what they are doing to kill you. If its more beneficial to not stay on the boat, the you arent much threathened by the board either.

Do you play hourglass? Imagine players running for 2 minutes to wait for their mate to get locked out.

Now they will likely add traps as we saw on the preview, that is a much better idea. And people will be harpooning aboard with only one weapon slot to work with, so the entire pressure will change.

• @tybald said in Lock 'em up!:

@lordqulex

I think there's a problem of framing. I do not see this as a punishment for boarding, I see it as a reward for stopping a boarder on your ship. It's breathing room, and it also changes the risk/reward calculation of boarding. As I said earlier. I think this would emphasize hit and run boarder tactics, as you want to minimize your exposure. You get on, cause quick chaos, and hop off, so as not to end up disadvantaging your team.

Also, I think it should be limited. That's why I suggested the use of a "Manacle" resource. It can be exauhsted. There really is an entire plan in the post, with all numbers to be adjusted in playtesting for actual viability.

Two sides of the same coin matey. What you consider a reward for stopping a boarder, the boarder sees as being punished for boarding. At the end of the day @Metal-Ravage is technically correct: pirates are free to play the game any way they choose within the rules. We're just here stating preferences for those rules.

• @theblackbellamy said in Lock 'em up!:

Its an effective tactic insofar as the person boarding is effective at it, and insofar as the situation allows.

If it was genuinely the most effective tactic available, why doesn't everyone just board spam?

When crew size and skill levels are different, the inherent risk in boarding goes down for the larger and more skillful crew... but I don't see this as a problem that needs a solution. It's just the nature of being on a more powerful and skillful crew. Shark eats the Fish. Balance is important, but we don't need so much balance that the Fish unintuitively eats the Shark.

When crew size and skill level is equal (or close to it) the risk in boarding becomes more apparent. One crewmate off the ship is one less crewmate to perform an essential task on the ship. And that could very will result in losing the fight.

My crew uses the tactic when we should, as the situation requires.

Very well said, thank you.

For me it's very much thematic and preferential. I feel naval is what makes SoT unique, and would like to see it encouraged.

• @tybald still overcomplciated stuff. You cloud achive same with longer stay on ferry depending on place where you died (and it still less abusable) but still it dosent bring enything postive into gameplay.

Point is that if other crew is able to send borders they allready have uperhand in naval.

• @ghutar said in Lock 'em up!:

@tybald still overcomplciated stuff. You cloud achive same with longer stay on ferry depending on place where you died (and it still less abusable) but still it dosent bring enything postive into gameplay.

Point is that if other crew is able to send borders they allready have uperhand in naval.

You can't be "rescued" from the ferry. You can't mitigate the time on the ferry. And, you can't wear down the other side's 'ferry resources' so you can avoid the extra ferry time all together.

• @wujuwarrior1375 You really can't repel it if the player has the ability to land on your ship from a cannon shot.
    And soon to be they will be using a harpoon, eliminating the need for guarding ladders altogether, so this is why countermeasures for that are needed.

Similar to explosive barrels they used to be a given that players would carry them in the crows nest but as soon as they gave us destructible masts, no one uses them anymore.
    Not saying it should be an extreme change like this where boarding becomes obsolete but at least something that makes players use it as a last resort and not the first.

• @eva1977 I suspect there will need to be some rebalancing before that harpoon gun comes in absolutely that has meta breaking potential.

I feel like the bone caller is intended to support defending against boarders but surely boarders can also throw them to distract and make it easier.

They will certainly favour sword users over double gunners as having to use 3 bullets compared to one sword lunge to clear them is a bit of a nerf

• @tybald
    Yeach there is sooo much reason to rescoue someone with not so long timer.

Like half of this time would be used to get to brig door.

I think that jail don't slove enything here and only prolongs fights that fate is kinda allready determined.

Add on top of it all staff you cloud abuse or exploit and spice it up with hit reg problems.

Most folks iin brig would make hell out of mic or spam chat too.

Horrible experience. In HG beyond horrible.

Views
1 out of 64