Sea of Thieves no longer starts after last update

• I run Linux (Mint 20) and play the game using Steam.

After the latest update from yesterday, the game no longer launches and I cannot play at all :(

It shows the new "easy anti-cheat" splash screen for a second and then nothing else.

If you're tempted to post "well durr durr stop cheating..." replies -- please don't I'm not even going to address such.

I am NOT cheating - never have and never will - but I DO run Linux as my OS, which I think the anti-cheat might be mistaking for cheating for some reason.

So for the devs/mods out there, is running SoT on Linux specifically banned by the new release? Or is this a bug?

If playing on Linux has been banned, I would like a refund.

If it's a bug, I'd like to know how to workaround it (if possible) or when it will be fixed (if not).

Thanks!

Views
  • @gravesilence272 To my knowledge, Sea of Thieves has never officially supported Linux (other than Steam Deck).

Chances are it is an issue with Linux/3rd party programs that needs addressing by the programs themselves.

Check those programs for any updates/troubleshooting solutions.

• @look-behind-you According to the FAQ of "Easy Anti-Cheat", enabling Linux Steam support for a game is a simple check-box in the deployment options that the game devs have responsibility for.

I'm asking if that box is checked to enable it to begin with? If so, I will happily go inquire with Steam for a fix.

I paid for and played the game using Steam for years though, and there was never any mention given anywhere that I was not allowed to do so.

If the decision HAS been made to specifically disallow players who previously purchased and played the game under Linux for years to no longer be allowed to play the game, simply asking for a refund is quite reasonable. (I would prefer to just be allowed to play the game I paid for and enjoy though)

• @gravesilence272 Sea of Thieves has always stated that it is a Windows(regardless of Steam or MS version)/Xbox game.

Running it via Linux has always been unsupported (officially) and has required workarounds/3rd party programs.

It would require the 3rd party programs/workarounds to update/adapt to the most recent Sea of Thieves update.

If it works on Steam Deck (which I believe it still does) then the EAC checkbox has likely been ticked.

• @look-behind-you I am not arguing with you, just looking for clarity.

I don't have Steam Deck, I have Steam.

I have never had an issue running SoT on Linux using Steam.

I have not made a single change to my system (Steam or Linux) since the last time I was able to play SoT on Linux just fine. So if it worked before, there's nothing in Steam or Linux that is causing it to not work now.

The only thing that changed was the SoT update itself, so that's the only thing that could be the cause. Perhaps there's a change in there that Steam needs to accomodate or whatever, but I have no way of knowing where the problem is unless I can verify that Steam support on Linux has been enabled on the devs end.

As I said, I don't have a Steam Deck, so I can't use one to verify (perhaps another player could?) but that's the long way around to the answer the question when you could simply ask one of the devs if they checked the appropriate box in the configuration of "Easy Anti-Cheat" or not...

If they have, then I know Steam needs to do something on their end, and I will pursue it there.

If they haven't, then playing SoT on Linux has been explicitly prohibited by design.

It should not be hard to provide a clear answer to this question without evasion.

• @gravesilence272 As has already been said, Sea of Thieves has never officially had Linux support (outside of steam deck), don't see why it would start now.

• @mopwieldinghedgehog Ok, I don't disagree, and I have no contention with that.

However, it's an answer to a question that I didn't ask. Unless you are confirming through circumspection a decision was made to leave the "Steam Linux Support" check box in the "Easy Anti-Cheat" developer config unchecked?

I'm not trying to give you guys a hard time here - I'm sad that I may no longer be able to play a game I have enjoyed very much, and I am looking for some kind of help in how to continue do so (if possible).

If there's no kind of help or useful information forthcoming, just say so, and I will go about seeking a refund however I can.

• @gravesilence272 Linux hasn't been banned, it was never officially supported. You took a risk buying it for a platform that it was not designed for. I can understand your frustration that a product you enjoy will no longer work, but I think asking for a refund is just the five stages of grief talking. You are angry and are attempting to bargain by using your threat of refund to get a better answer than the one you got.

I actually do emphasize with you, honestly. I can't imagine not having SoT to play :(

But I think as a Linux user, you are savvy enough to know probably better than me why Linux is probably not supported, and why a Microsoft game probably wants to be installed on a Microsoft system. Heck, I can't even install the game on a different hard drive from the operating system without the game not launching. So honestly, I think you have done pretty well in getting the game to run on Linux at all.

Totally okay to ask for help, but I think you have hit a wall here in terms of compatibility that is beyond the scope of what technical support can do you for. Wishing you the best in accepting the situation soon, and getting back to some Sea of Thieves on a supported operating system. Good news is you still own the game. Just need to figure out that operating system, maybe dual boot?

• @gravesilence272 said in Sea of Thieves no longer starts after last update:

I don't have Steam Deck, I have Steam.

Steam Deck is Linux which uses compatibility provided by Proton. It has never run natively in *nix.

You may need to update Proton, Linux or something else possibly.

• I have regular windows and am having same problem with new anti cheat software. I have never cheated on game and now it wont launch. My son and I have played this game for years, and we have spent a lot of $ on cosmetics and season passes. I wonder how many other players this bug is affecting. Please fix.

• I run the game on arch via steam+proton and haven't had any issues with EAC since it's introduction, so I'm doubtful that EAC is flagging any non-steamdeck installs as illegitimate.

For my system, it was necessary to force the game to use dx11 via launch options after the introduction of directx12 (I'm using an older pascal-based nvidia card so I issues with most dx12 games). I don't think it will fix your issue but it's worth a try: https://support.seaofthieves.com/articles/17131268845970-PC-How-to-change-the-version-of-Direct3D-following-the-February-update

Additionally, there is a comment on protondb about the settings.json file for EAC having the wrong contentid that also might be worth investigating for your install: https://www.protondb.com/app/1172620#VextkXA8xI

Hope this helps!

Views
1 out of 11