Time

• As for how much time has passed in SOT since launch, Rare seems to completely ignore that as of 2018 the time within the game already exceeds 300 years, yet we don't see any aspect of this in the plot.

If this time is really true and somehow the characters live a long time, has the outside world become stagnant in terms of technological advancement? as they would already be in the years 2024+

Views
  • @lleorb Time is relative in SOT, so 300 years within the Shroud might be only a few minutes to the world outside.

• Clearly doesn't understand "Sea of Thieves is a mystical place" outside of time and space...nobody really 'dies' nor do they seem to age unless they themselves will it so.

• I remember talking about this around a year in, just as a funny thought. I can't remember the specifics but I think I calculated that my time played ended up being about 82 years in game.

I actually found my old post and I was way off.

Doing some quick calculations I decided that the game has been out for 1,035,360 minutes as of March 8th 2020. Give or take a few hours. That converts straight to the same amount of time in hours in the game's time. 1,035,360 hours divided by 24 gives us 43,140 days. That means that since sea of thieves launched, it has ran for 118 years and 70 days in game time.

I ended up only having 8 years pass.

• @metal-ravage This explains the temporal situation between the Sea of ​​Thieves and the outside world, but it does not explain how a normal human lives there for more than 200 years.

@BurnBacon From what I've seen in the Lore there is nothing that explains the temporal issue of SOT, there isn't even a mystical excuse.

From what I know, death in Sea of ​​Thieves works as follows, the ferryman brings those he wants back to life, but at some point the characters will die of old age and will not return.

Unlike what was mentioned above, there does not seem to be a different time restricted to the fog, time seems to pass in the same way both inside and outside, otherwise with each expedition of the pirate lord his family and friends in the outside world would age years .

@testakleze When I did the calculations and realized that my pirate is over 300 years old it was strange, even stranger is thinking that we are almost in the year 2050 in SOT if you consider the passage of days.

• Ok let's see: you are asking why a game that went gold in 2018 yet it is set in a magical pirate fantasy is not keeping correct time...and you base this in the hrs you spend playing with your character that not only can walk around carrying 10 cannon balls, but can jump, fight and swim with this heavy load.

Somehow the irony of it seems to defeat the logic!

• @metal-ravage What's absurd about that? Do fictions need to be completely implausible? without any logic or coherence?

I'm not pointing out a serious problem that destroys the game or anything like that, it's more of a curiosity to understand how time works in this world. Unlike what you pointed out, even in fiction these details are important for world building.

There was a newspaper, "The Pirate Time" published by Rare that marked the current date of Sea of ​​Thieves as 1702, I wanted to know how time is treated in Lore, if there is a mystical excuse or they simply ignore it.

• In game time is not linear and does not progress constantly. You can "go back" in time by replaying Tall Tales, or repeat time by continually doing the same world event over and over.

I'd be surprised if the lore events laid out over the entire span of the game's life have taken more than one year of actual time.

Similarly to how a movie like Star Wars: Rogue One is immediately before the events of A New Hope in Star Wars universe time, even though the movies came out decades apart and in reverse chronological order in real life time.

• The lore is a bit iffy in regards to how time works, but i may have an explanation that will answer the issues with time and why so many years can pass without seeming to affect much! Days are so short in the sea of thieves because... Wait for it! ...Its a system to make the game not feel stagnant!

There is no reason why you can pass 1000 years in skyrim and yet the same shop keepers are alive, its just a system to make it feel like time is passing in game without having to wait a full real life night to pass! There doesnt need to be lore for the system really.

• I just posted about this not too long ago. More as a joke because I think it's kinda funny that my pirate is like 6000 years old lol.

Maybe we actually died in the shroud and sot is pirate heaven. 🤔🤔🤔

• One real-world year at sea is worth approximately 50 years. If you play the game regularly, 50-100 years pass in one year. Approximately 1 week to 1 year.

@testakleze

Views
1 out of 11