What made you fall in love with Sea of thieves?

• Hello all there pirates!
    As the topic say, what made you fell in love with Sea of thieves, and when did it happend, and when did you start to play it?
    And what is overall your favorite update? And if it happend, when did you feel the game started to "fell off" for you?

To me, i fell in love the first time i started up the game, the day it came out. Was playing it casually the first months, and suddenly me and my friend started to basically play it every day, and we had so much fun with fighting over the regular skullforts. Oh man i miss the simpler times lol
    But by far, my absolute favorite year of SoT was 2019. So much new and cool stuff got introduced to the game. My all time favorite was the the anniversary update in 2019, we got arena (oh dang do i miss arena), we got tall tales, we got fishing, we got meat, and we finally got the harpoons. That year was in my mind the peak of sea of thieves. Also we got Fort of the damned that year. Also made so many friends through the game that year that i still have contact with. In my opinion, best time ive had in gaming over all the years.
    Also second anniversary update was cool, with the emissary update and stuff.
    My "fall off" from the game started with when the seasons started. Not as much updates anymore, and alot of them were pretty small for the amount of wait we had to do before getting them. The amount of bugs, and more and more hitreg issues and server and ping stability getting worse and worse. So yeah my opinion was that seasons were a bad thing for this game.
    Buuut still love it, and i guess it will always have a special place in my heart. Still casually playing it here and there, but not as much anymore.
    And what do you want to see added to the game in the future?
    Ive mostly been the pve/pvp player, that does both, so to me, for the pve stuff, i want more storybased tall tales like the first ones, not a crossover but more storyline for the game itself

Views
  • Wasn't something I planned to get into.

I never was a gamer beyond chilling with people I enjoyed being around when I was young.

Was trying things out to put some focus on something that wasn't serious.

I don't really connect well with the gaming culture/content creation side of a live service experience. I'm a bit of an outsider on that kind of stuff, it took me a while to attach to the experience.

The human side of the experience is where I found a spot to eventually get comfortable and kick up the feet for while. An opportunity to serve community in some form through random encounters. Even if just a few moments it added enough purpose for me to attach to.

I enjoy hunting megs and sailing around but I stick around because there is always someone to remind that they have a whole lot to offer to this environment. Some of the easiest stuff to do that I've ever done.

My worst day on SoT isn't a thing compared to what kind of worst days exist out there. One day will be my last session but I'll never see it as something that fell off. I'll never speak negatively about the game overall as an experience. I was never really here for the content updates or performance or seasons. I just like sailing around and participating.

• What made you fall in love with Sea of thieves?

When it was announced (or found) Being an Open World adventure game. (that didnt require subscription) Being a pirate. It was a different time....

• @burnbacon i remember i saw it got announced but never thought it would ve my cup of tea, but i was wrong 😂

• The ship and waves physics. I've always been amazed that such a goofy game has such good looking seas and the listing of the boats are perfect.

• @smellysnowballs it was an open world pirate game you could explore with a crew of friends finding hidden treasure or taking it from others you can swing swords, fire cannons, or get three sheets to wind on grog it's pirates life for me and I'm all for it and the best part is no gear grind or power levels nice and simple everyone on the same strength level just down to skill and smarts

• The water.

I'm still here for the water lol

• I think I'm more in the courtship phase right now. I'm a big fan of open worlds, exploring, surviving, seeing the beauty in the world building, etc. I also like maritime themes even though I sort have mild thallasophobia. Drink all you want but don't you go in there 😉.

Used to play Ark SE religiously using and building up rafts for my clans. I called my favorite gunboat Spartan. I made a lot of friends and a few enemies. I'm hoping to bring friends in but to also make new ones, because that really is the best part of any communal game, agree?

Fair winds 🤞

• @valhalla-sky said in What made you fall in love with Sea of thieves?:

I think I'm more in the courtship phase right now.

Good way to word it because the individual journey through this game can be pretty similar to how a relationship can be, lol.

You are starting at a time where it's never really been better for new players. This game was once very different in experience for new players and casual players. It's impossible to feel that now as a new player because you've only experienced what you have experienced but there has been a lot of effort put into improving the experience you are piratically living through right now.

Hopefully you find it rewarding and have many memorable experiences with the scallywags and scurvy dogs that you end up meeting along the way.

• I remember my brother telling me he had found a new game In 2018 and that it was very fun. I watched a few gameplay videos of the game and finally bought it for myself on my Xbox. Eventually my brother and his friends (my main crew) stopped playing. But this didn’t stop me. I was truly in love with this game. It was everything I had ever dreamed of. I loved everything in the game, from the peaceful sunrise, to the epic and intense battles. Eventually I convinced one of my friends to download the game and we have made memories that I will remember forever. We aren’t sweats. We aren’t try-hards. We just a couple of stupid fellas having some fun on the seas. We are so bad at pvp and so we started saying our best pickup lines over game chat while the other players pummel our ship and beg us to stop 😂. We also have a tradition that has created some incredibly funny times. Everyday before we sail we cook and eat a bait crate worth of bait. It’s the small things like that I love about the game.

But probably my favorite part of this game is the impact I can have on others. I never have considered my self a pro at this game and probably never will. But more and more I’ve had opportunities to help the newer players find their way on the seas. From helping a crew of new players turn in their first Athena Chest, to saving people from various things (skelly ships, krakens, other players, etc.), I feel I have had a positive impact on the community. I have so many stories of people I have helped and hopefully impacted positively. That’s how I want to be remembered on the waves. Me and me mate. Aboard the glorious Golden Wing. The friendliest couple o’ guys who ever sailed the sea.

Sincerely
    Captain Waffle, The Legend of the Oars
    Aboard the Golden Wing
    Owner of The Scurvy Boys Guild

• I got into a pirate fever back then, can't remember if it was due to this game or some other reason, but what I Can remember was that I t felt like a constant intense craving for pirates. I remember a few years back hearing about "Flight of Icarus", an indie game where you fly an air ship while shooting from turrets and fixing the ship, making sure it stays up. I remember thinking "Wow! Can you imagine if they made a game like this but with pirate ships? What a dream!". Fast forward a few years later and I found a YouTube video of the announcement of Sea of thieves... Say what you want, but Rare knows how to make some good trailers for this game... and the water, oh the water!? This game doesn't use ray tracing, keep that in mind the next time you look at the water graphics in this game, they're insane. I was hyped and rolling my Rs hard! that video was followed by the "we shall sail together" trailer clip, and then the early gameplay video teaser trailer. I still watch those videos to this day and watched reaction videos multiple times. I didn't have time to join the alpha but I made sure to join the beta. Any money I had was going into this game, the potential it had was insane, the water graphics were insane, and a pirate open world adventure game ripe with mystery, magic, and exploration? This was Disney world for me. It's ironic considering I was never a fan of pirates of the Caribbean until I was introduced to this game.

Before release, this game kicked my pirate fever into a frenzy, every trailer that came out, this community and posts, and the beta gave me so much hope. I remember me and multiple other crews I joined screaming at the top of my lungs during the beta. I didn't have to tell my family, but I think they knew already how much I enjoyed the game lol. Then the game rolled out and it was the most gut wrenching, disappointing experience. I remember many feeling lied to by Rare, the beta was the entire game experience, but me and many other original game founders could still see the potential the game had so we stuck with it. Sure the quantity and depth wasn't there but the core gameplay was still extremely fun and varied enough. After 3 days of the game release I ended up getting sea sick... from the virtual waves, wild! Rare has been diligent and hard working since then, and I appreciate them for this master piece they produced. And in all honesty here, I was going to stick with it regardless, yes I was disappointed it wasn't better but the potential was still there, and I was going to sail this game right through no matter what, this was the only game to satisfy that craving to play as a pirate, stealing/ finding treasure, sailing a ship in the waves, as cannonballs fly over my head, around my head, through my head.

This game alone made me relive my childhood with the levels of hype I was feeling.

• I will be simple and short, unique experience

1. A lot of content and backstories. You can dig deep into lore or not, but it's not required.
    2. Infinite skill ceiling. The game is quite simple on the surface, but you can keep mastering every aspect of it and actually see the results.
    3. Style, theme and esthethics - I think devs nailed it.
    4. NOT p2win. Doesn't matter if you are brand new or LSD, you have exactly the same gear.
  • Yeah when I seen the DA sail I was like that is want i want... then i got it and then they changed them and now i lost all interest with this game and now i hardly ever play it. Thanks for ruining the game.

Views
1 out of 14