Question/Warning - Legend of the Veil

• Ahoy,

We finished LotV fort battle, collected the loot and went to Port Merrick to sell. We kept the veil stone, so we could collect the emissary quest, lower and raise the flag and then insert the last stone to finish the voyage, which should boost us to level 2. I believe I have done this before.

Upon selling everything and collecting the quest, we went back to our ship, only to see that the quest is gone, the mask is gone and the veil stone which I left on deck next to the wheel is gone too.

I saw this issue happened to some other people on Reddit, posted over 1 year ago.

Has anyone else encountered this bug (Please don't tell me this is a feature) and does anyone know what exactly causes it.

Previously, doing LotV the loot would de-spawn if you canceled the voyage. I think especially from the ship graveyard part.

Views
  • If you sell the quest items before inserting the final stone it will auto complete the quest. It has always done this. I think it is built in to account for people who forget to insert the stone or somehow lose it but still have the loot.

Usually I just do chapter one and two, then cancel and do another chapter or two to get to 5, instead on going all the way through. I get to 5 faster for the emissary quest and will usually have a stone I can insert to boost the new flag again.

• @abjectarity said in Question/Warning - Legend of the Veil:

If you sell the quest items before inserting the final stone it will auto complete the quest. It has always done this. I think it is built in to account for people who forget to insert the stone or somehow lose it but still have the loot.

Usually I just do chapter one and two, then cancel and do another chapter or two to get to 5, instead on going all the way through. I get to 5 faster for the emissary quest and will usually have a stone I can insert to boost the new flag again.

I would imagine if Rare would say that, it would just be an excuse for a bug they don't know how to fix.

So if someone steals the Athena chest and sails to an outpost before you, the quest would also cancel?

It's no biggie, but confused the hell out of us. Do you think is worth raising a support ticket, as mentioned there are reports of this from over a year ago, so I'm sure Rare are aware.

• I suppose you could submit a ticket, but I personally don’t see it as a bug. I see it as a safeguard to complete the voyage if you forget to insert the stone but take all the chests to the selling location. It does still count as a +1 toward the commendation, so I don’t think it cancels it, but auto completes.

• @abjectarity Nope, unless I remember wrong. But I had 41/50 and after that it is still 41/50. At least got some progress for the forts destroyed ^^

Well everything important was completed, just the progress towards commendation of completing LOTV voyage is gone. And to some pirates, this is the most important bit ^^

• As for the reports, I thought those were to do with disappearing items. When LOTV first came out, if you put the Athena items in collector chests and completed the voyage, a lot of the items would vanish. We tried selling them without putting the stone in and it completed the voyage immediately and all that we hadn’t sold disappeared. That’s how I first learned about the completion on selling. The way to stop items from dispawning until they patched it was just not put the items in the chests and you were fine.

I played the voyages from day 1 and completed all commendations within the same month. So it’s been over a year since I personally dealt with any of this. I’ve not done one to completion in a long time. Only thing I do is use the stones and trinkets from the chapters to get to 5 and then do emissary quest. I’m not a fan of the final battle, so I avoid it and do something else that I find more enjoyable.

As a completionist myself, I understand the importance and I know since then there have been many updates and tweaks, so my information could be out of date.

• Isn't there some sort of time limit on LoTV. 2 hours sticks in my mind but I don't know where I've got that from.

• @abjectarity Yeah those disappearing loot items in the beginning confused me even more. I would think I left them on the island and sail back...I would run back and forth checking for tuckers etc until I saw the loot disappearing in front of my eyes when I canceled the voyage. If I ever do the the veil now, I try to complete it as I reached Athena 30, also makes the voyage a bit more exciting with a mini world event at the end of it. Especially when you are at the last fort and see a brig in the distance.

So yeah, knowing how the items disappeared, I would not be surprised if this is just another bug, just a little bit less common as probably a lot of players choose to just grind parts 1 and 2 and emissary (this is how I got to 30 ^^)

• @a10dr4651 said in Question/Warning - Legend of the Veil:

Isn't there some sort of time limit on LoTV. 2 hours sticks in my mind but I don't know where I've got that from.

Yes, it will fail after X amount of time. If I remember correctly it is something like 2-2.5 hours. I used to advice people who were putting voyages down to gain miles not to use LOTV or it’ll fail and you’ll have to put another. Which mattered if you didn’t have anything in hand while out and about.

• @a10dr4651 Maybe to activate and finish the last part? Never heard of it at least, in our case we probably did the whole thing in less than an hour. We started it at Sanctuary, 1st Island was Sailors Bounty, Then Crescent and Crescent again.

• @zig-zag-ltu personally I don’t like the voyages, but I never liked any of the ghost or skeleton ship voyages or world events. So that’s just a personal preference. It’s a good design and I’m dreaming of the day they introduce more voyages with complexity like it has.

• It's to keep people from cheesing G5 a little. You get a nice boost for that last stone being inserted. Sell everything, turn in flag raise new flag, insert stone for completion and get a nice start on a new flag.

That's the repeatable situation I've seen it disappear.

I don't think it has anything to do with a time limit. I've left the final stage active as a distraction for quite some time.

• @pithyrumble Port Merrick Wall Street would crash if I made 50k quicker than normal.... If this is actually a feature, this is super stupid 'balancing'. Just like making nerfing Red Mermaid gold payout, why, why even bother to make it 1000 less...Pirate Lord Hedge fund is running low or something? Slow round of applause to whoever approved this.

This is not some labor camp, it's an online game(fun) where I kept hearing for years 'tools not rules'. Please tell me I am just rambling for no reason and that this is not true.

• @zig-zag-ltu

Just tested this - got Athena Emissary rank 5 before inserting the stone; sailed to an Outpost, sold everything, got the emissary quest, lowered the flag and raised again.
    Still had the stone and inserted it, got us to rank 2.5 IIRC.

• @lem0n-curry I'm so confused. I heard this can happen during a server merge, so unless we had one while I went to the bathroom and my gf didn't mention anything. But even then, I had server merges before doing veil and nothing was affected.

Could it be some weird, rare bug that is not common at all?

P.S. Very glad to hear that this is not some dumb feature given how we can stack Fotd, Cheese Tall tales for gold curse, get hundreds of supplies rather quickly via potc tall tale etc ^^

• @zig-zag-ltu said in Question/Warning - Legend of the Veil:

@lem0n-curry I'm so confused. I heard this can happen during a server merge, so unless we had one while I went to the bathroom and my gf didn't mention anything. But even then, I had server merges before doing veil and nothing was affected.

Could it be some weird, rare bug that is not common at all?

P.S. Very glad to hear that this is not some dumb feature given how we can stack Fotd, Cheese Tall tales for gold curse, get hundreds of supplies rather quickly via potc tall tale etc ^^

We did take it out of the chest though; IIRC there was an issue with Athena loot kept in chests with the LotV quest.

Views
15 out of 16