SoT Looks grayish when using Steam to screenshot or streaming with OBS

• Hello Fellow SoT people

I have this problem where if i take a screenshot with Steam or if i stream the game on Discord or via OBS it looks all gray or washed out. I cant figure out what does it.

This is how its supposed to look and what it looks like if i use the Print Screen button:

If i stream the game or take a screenshot with Steam it looks like this:

I am running the game in HDR mode if that means anything. Game looks fine when in game. Its just those things that makes it all look washed out.

Any idea whats going on?

Viking

Views
  • Do you use HDR?
    That's usually what HDR screenshots look like in programs that don't support it.

• @scheneighnay Yes as it says i have HDR running on the game. So that means that OBS and Steam cant make it look normal? It cant just convert it to SDR?

• @mrsirvik said in SoT Looks grayish when using Steam to screenshot or streaming with OBS:

@scheneighnay Yes as it says i have HDR running on the game. So that means that OBS and Steam cant make it look normal? It cant just convert it to SDR?

For pictures, use Alt+Win+PrtSc to capture your main screen only - if you can, set up a hotkey (on Stream Deck, for example). It will save a .jxr file (HDR) as well as .jpeg in SDR to your videos/captures folder. The jpeg will be tonemapped but might still be a bit dark in some cases, so you may still want to tweak the levels a bit before sharing.

As for OBS, google "obs hdr to sdr" and you should find a few potential solutions from the OBS forums. From what I can tell, solutions are very much dependent on the game.

Applying a LUT filter and tweaking it with a colour correction filter seems to be the most straightforward solution.

Here's a good video from EposVox explaining this. He provides a pack of LUT files for purchase for a small amount (given how much work is involved in tweaking them to look correct, that's understandable). However, you might be able to find some free generic ones - like this one from that thread I linked above.

Hopefully that helps.

• @realstyli Thank you, I googled and i think i found a solution to the HDR problem in OBS. changed some color setting and so now it tone maps the HDR to SDR and i think it worked there. But for steam and the screenshot i havent found a solution for that, i just dont think that steam can do HDR screenshots or tone map them correctly to SDR, but i found that windows key + alt + print screen as you say works for it. Thanks :) Tried googeling a solution for streaming on Discord, cause that cant tone map correctly to SDR either. But no fix i dont think. Gonna have to live with that.

Views
1 out of 5