Help with French

• I often play late at night and encounter French speakers....Can anyone help me explain when I log into a French group that I'm sorry, I wish I could play with you but I don't speak French, without sounding pretentious. I don't want to just say I don't speak French and log out. I want to convey that I wish I could play with you but It just won't work. Any help would be much appreciated.

Simo

Views
  • @simo-hayha-46 If you type into google translate what you would like to say and convert it into French, then there is a speaker icon underneath the translated text that will let you listen to how it should sound.

You could either learn a short sentence, or try to play the speaker through your microphone somehow.

• @foxdodge Thank you for your reply....I often think that language has certain nuances and am wondering if google translate is just a rigid word for word translation that might not accurately convey what a common French saying might. Truth is though I'm probably worrying too much about being polite and French speakers will likely understand what google gives me and wont care much about how I present it.

Simo

• @simo-hayha-46 I think people will be understanding of what is being said, if what is being said is that you don't speak the language : )

• @simo-hayha-46 Desolee je ne parle pas Francais. C'est trop difficile pour moi de jouer si je ne peux pas vous comprendez.

Sorry I can't speak French. It's too difficult for me to play if I can't understand you.

OR you could just play and dump your mic and use the chat wheel? (It'll be in French for them)

• @foxdodge said in Help with French:

@simo-hayha-46 If you type into google translate what you would like to say and convert it into French, then there is a speaker icon underneath the translated text that will let you listen to how it should sound.

You could either learn a short sentence, or try to play the speaker through your microphone somehow.

Google translate is not always the best sources for translations, especially full sentences, and if a language has formal and informal ways to say things. It can be an alright baseline for rough translation, but it can only go so far.

• Hi ! I'm French. You can say: "Salut. J'aimerais jouer avec vous, mais je ne parle pas français. Ce sera trop difficile pour moi. Au revoir". I hope it helps.

Views
6 out of 7