Dormammu, I've come to bargain.

• I was playing SoT yesterday. Decided to do some hourglass PvP. I'm not great at PvP but you don't get better if you don't try. Anyway, I get into battle with another sloop. I land two decent shots with cannon and take down his mast. So I'm thinking I'm doing alright. And then....he boards my ship. Naturally he sent me to the ferry and I'm thinking well it's probably game over. Oh well better luck next time. Nope he decides to lower my anchor and just spawn kill me. Now I'm all for playing the game mode as intended by sinking me and taking the win but this was just griefing. Now I know what you're all gonna tell me "just scuttle your ship." But you see that's just what this type of player wants they don't want to just win. They want to win and break your spirit. So...seeing this as bad form (because it is) I decide two can play the trolling game. Everytime he sent me to the ferry id message him "Dormammu, I've come to bargain." It's from Doctor Strange for those who haven't seen it. Then I'd spawn back in and just do a clapping emote. I did this 8 or 9 times until he finally relented and sunk my ship. Like I said I have no problem losing to another player but when my opponent doesn't play the mode as intended that's when I have a problem.

Views
  • ... or you could just stay on the Ship of the Dead, watching a youtube video or something, and check every now and then if you have started on a new server.

Personally i would have tried to fight back, but at some point its better to just ignore people who i think are toxic. Just do not give them any attention, as that is what keeps them happy. Ignoring and not commenting/reacting is usually the best counter to possible toxic behavior.

Then again, perhaps he was just farming you for reaper/athena progress by killing you before sinking your ship. Or perhaps he was looting your ship for supplies? Both might be reasons to spawnkill someone for a while, and in that case it was not toxic behavior... difficult to say.

• If they anchored you and camped you without fire and without holes that's a violation of the spirit of the rules in that situation which would justify a report if reporting is your thing.

If this happens and you do report things like this don't play into, don't create a scenario where they may think you're alright with it if you aren't. Like the messaging thing.

In these situations there are always two different things to discuss. What you should do in the moment and your freedoms around the situation. In the moment you should get away from the situation when it becomes a problem situation, don't bait, don't play into it if you don't like it. Just remove yourself from unpleasant situations you don't want to be around.

Then there is your freedom to report it or not report it. That's a more personal decision where you are free to do what you think is right, in this situation it would be justified based on the information given if there was no attempt to sink you for a while. It is your personal decision to use the report tool as you see fit.

• @ghostfire1981

Well he definitely was trying to take my resources because he never left my ship nor had any resource crate to use. Plus he could just get my resources in the form of barrels once I was sunk. As for reputation. He was running Athena rank 5 emissary. So I doubt it.

• @wolfmanbush I generally don't report anything because I don't think reporting bad behavior results in anything. As for just leaving the situation. Not my style plus that's probably just what he wants. Board opponents ships and spawn kill them until they scuttle. Why give him the satisfaction? Troll the trolls if you ask me. But again different strokes for different folks.

• @i-am-the-law935 said in Dormammu, I've come to bargain.:

@wolfmanbush I generally don't report anything because I don't think reporting bad behavior results in anything. As for just leaving the situation. Not my style plus that's probably just what he wants. Board opponents ships and spawn kill them until they scuttle. Why give him the satisfaction? Troll the trolls if you ask me. But again different strokes for different folks.

You are free to do what you want but everyone that messes with you is going to claim victory no matter what you do. You'll never be the one that wins in their eyes. It's just you staying unproductive for a "victory" that they will never acknowledge.

• @ghostfire1981 said in Dormammu, I've come to bargain.:

Then again, perhaps he was just farming you for reaper/athena progress by killing you before sinking your ship.

The only problem with that is that you gain no rep for either faction for killing players. Rare did not want people to spawn camp endlessly so they made the system only reward you for the sink, not for kills.

• @goldsmen

Are you sure? Im talking about the actual reaper and athena factions not the Guardians and Servants categories.

Havent tried THAT specifically myself, but i thought it raised the factions rep when we killed others and grabbed some random loot floting in the battle area.

Need to test this, but sure you can be right.

• @ghostfire1981 said in Dormammu, I've come to bargain.:

@goldsmen

Are you sure? Im talking about the actual reaper and athena factions not the Guardians and Servants categories.

Havent tried THAT specifically myself, but i thought it raised the factiosn rep when we killed others and grabbed some random loot floting in the battle area.

Need to test this, but sure you can be right.

You dont gain rep for base reapers or athena either for killing people, you gain emissary value as a reaper for touching loot, but you dont get rep if you dont turn in for either faction. The only thing i have had happen raise athena rep without turning in was random slivers of rep gained after killing megs and krakens.

Rare is actively against spawn camping to the point that it can get you temp banned, or in some extreme cases, even red beard, but thats less common. The only faction that ever promoted spawn camping was the sea dogs.

• @goldsmen

Yes my bad, didnt mean actual reputation. But killing others with an emissary flag (as reapers) will raise the emissary level (up to five). That was what i meant. I was a bit unclear there, so farming emissary levels by killing might be some sort of tactic, if you want to raise the emissary level to 5.

Regarding spawn camping:
    Boarding and guarding holes to secure a sink is one of the best methods of sinking a ship. Its more or less impossible to sink a good sloop team unless "deckshotting" the crew (not an easy task), or board and spawn camp them (a far easier task), as ONE player on a sloop can keep it floating forever using buckets. So yes getting spawn killed/camped is annoying, BUT it is a perfectly valid tactic. (...and in the case of the sloop absolutely necessary.)
    However spawn camping, and not actually stealing supplies or transferring loot or guarding holes can be considered toxic behavior, especially combined with verbal abuse.

Views
1 out of 10