Barnacle Chests and Reapers Bones

• Just a quick suggestion: barnacle chests should be counting towards the commendation if you sell to reaper's bones. I know it breaks the common pattern and a bit of the lore but it is already a massive grind and when you don't always have someone to play with and you join an open crew or LFG, you then have to convince your shipmates to sell to GH which makes the grind longer. Clearly stating you're doing barnacle chests oftentimes means you won't find a crew very quickly. Personally, I just do WE, and if we do a fleet then yippee, but having that awkward talk at the end of "hey commendation?" is just annoying and kinda breaks the 4th wall of the game. I would just like it to be simplified, not asking for past sells or anything to count either (tho if you did good on you guys :)

Views
  • If they did it for that one, they'd have to do it for all the commendations across all the trading companies... making the barnacled chests commendation the lone exception would be weird.

I sympathize with your request. I do. But... Don't hold your breath on this request.

• @fysics3037

The commendation clearly says chests sold to the gold hoarders. It will never count for reapers. The same is said about the cursed chests.

Honestly, all the reaper crews I have sold to set the barnacle chests to the side and sell them at the outpost. Often times, we do a drive by or just drop a rowboat with the barnacle/cursed chests

• One change I COULD get behind is selling fish to the merchant, as not even all fish posts accept fish these days....

• @sweetsandman they really wouldn't tbh, and it's not weird. Like Ashen books are sold to reapers and count

• @coffeelight5545 you dunno that

• @fysics3037 said in Barnacle Chests and Reapers Bones:

@coffeelight5545 you dunno that

What don’t I know? You will have to be more specific. I don’t remember every post I made.

• @coffeelight5545 I’m assuming……. The only post you made in this thread?

I agree that it should stay as is, though. Gives some purpose to not just dumping everything at reapers

• @klutchxking518

I don’t bother looking back. If he is saying what I think he is saying then I am 100% sure that the barnacle chests will never count if handed into the Reapers Hideout. Rare may give us a new commendation that requires to sell barnacle chests to the Reapers Hideout but it won’t count for the gold hoarder one at the same time or allow people to buy the silent barnacle set.

Personally, I don’t understand the problem. The reaper bones faction was meant to be a PvP faction, not a world event and run away faction

@sweetsandman they really wouldn't tbh, and it's not weird. Like Ashen books are sold to reapers and count

Ashen book commendations do not fall under Gold Hoarder or any other faction-specific section...so, it should be obvious that those would count whether you hand them into Duke/Larinna/Reaper as those are the places that accept(ed) them.

The commendations that I sympathize with are ones that are under The Athena's Fortune...ones like "Legend of Black Powder", "Golden Legend of the Strongholds", "Mystical Legend of the Strongholds", or "Legendary Merchant of Bone".

There's others, but those don't explicitly state where they need to be handed in, and they aren't something you can hand into The Mysterious Stranger...sure you could play the "lore" card...but...also Rare should make things more clear.

• @sweetsandman Is it not more clear to make it sellable to reapers? Also, Bilge Rats is a faction :/

• @coffeelight5545 Calm down you've made 1 post directed at me. You dunno if they will or won't cus you aren't rare.

• @fysics3037

I am calm. I’m just having a conversation and sharing my thoughts. I suppose that Rare can do anything but I find it very unlikely they will make that particular change

@sweetsandman Is it not more clear to make it sellable to reapers? Also, Bilge Rats is a faction :/

There's no reputation levels for Bilge Rats. It's not one of the trading companies. It's just a section of commendations.

And no, it wouldn't make it more clear if it were sellable to Reapers. The commendation resides under Gold Hoarders and says "Grade 'X' - You sold 'XXX' Shipwrecked Chests to the Gold Hoarders!"

If it was a Bilge Rats commendation, sure, that would make sense...but it isn't.

My only gripe with that commendation was when I discovered that the Skeleton Captain's Chests don't count towards it...those chest very clearly have barnacles on them lol!

• @SweetSandMan I mean they can always change it

• @coffeelight5545 said in Barnacle Chests and Reapers Bones:

Personally, I don’t understand the problem. The reaper bones faction was meant to be a PvP faction, not a world event and run away faction

Uncooperative crewmates that want to make massive bank at Reapers likely do not care about another crewmate wanting to sell a GH chest at an outpost with no bonus and extra sailing time.

Keep in mind: I don't support this suggestion, but this is the common scenario. Reaper crews are the average gold grinding crews that will want to sell every single thing possible to Reaper's Hideout for massive profits. Commendation grinding is unfortunately niche, and this is for 2 variants of the Wailing Barnacle set, which might not appeal to players' fashion choices.

One would probably want proper crewmates for such a situation, but would probably be unable to without utilizing social media, or catching a lucky open crew roll.

• @fysics3037 why would the Gold Hoarders reward you for selling loot to the reapers? Sorry you should have to sell them to the GH. It's not that hard.

• @captain-coel Its called quality of life

@captain-coel Its called quality of life

No it's called a Nerf. You don't have to put in the effort, but if you want the Silent or Bristling Barnacle sets you will.

• @captain-coel Thats literally not a nerf, a nerf is like reducing sniper damage

• @fysics3037 or lowering the effort required to accomplish something. It's okay to want something to be easier, this just doesn't seem like something that is needed.

• @captain-coel it's not any easier, you still have to grind for the stuff. Literally, the only easier thing is that you don't have to convince 1-3 other people to go out of their way to sell it. I mean ig its technically easier cus there's one more place to sell it, but if you're selling at reapers, you're gonna be running reapers, which means it's not any easier cus you should realistically only be selling to reapers. Idk what your logic is.

• @fysics3037 Sounds lazy. If you can't convince people to sell for your comms, try sailing with other people

• @captain-coel Please refer back to the original message where I said, "when you don't always have someone to play with and you join an open crew of LFG, then you have to convince your shipmates to sell to GH which makes the grind longer." You don't always have another group to play with. Nor is it easy to find an LFG going for barnacles specifically. If you wanna be lazy, then let me point out that the commendation is unintentionally longer for people without a consistent group to play with. Idk where the lack of understanding is.

• @sweetsandman oh really...and i was thinking how come I get like 5 of them per session, but it feels like I am stuck at 60 remaining for some time now.

• Just jump off with one or take them in the rowboat each time you are near an outpost. Let your crew keep sailing to the next objective. If you are playing solo, then outposts are much safer to sell barnacle chests than reapers.

@captain-coel Please refer back to the original message where I said, "when you don't always have someone to play with and you join an open crew of LFG, then you have to convince your shipmates to sell to GH which makes the grind longer." You don't always have another group to play with. Nor is it easy to find an LFG going for barnacles specifically.

There is an official Discord server for Sea of Thieves that has thousands of members there willing to help you clear a commendation (since they may likely share the same goal). You should not be using Open Crew to clear a commendation.

If you wanna be lazy, then let me point out that the commendation is unintentionally longer for people without a consistent group to play with. Idk where the lack of understanding is.

Selling 300 Shipwrecked chests is an old long-term grind that's existed since the game's launch. You most definitely shouldn't focus it, as the chances of finding shipwrecked chests are very low outside of skeleton fleets/skeleton ship encounters. Treat this commendation passively, the cosmetics are going nowhere, and I betcha you could be creative and create an even greater set of cosmetics with what you have until you clear that commendation. Just don't focus grind on the older commendations, they were designed to make you play for as long as possible to complete them, and it will be draining as a result.

@captain-coel Please refer back to the original message where I said, "when you don't always have someone to play with and you join an open crew of LFG, then you have to convince your shipmates to sell to GH which makes the grind longer." You don't always have another group to play with. Nor is it easy to find an LFG going for barnacles specifically. If you wanna be lazy, then let me point out that the commendation is unintentionally longer for people without a consistent group to play with. Idk where the lack of understanding is.

The commendation was already nerfed once when it was reduced from 1000 to 300. I kinda wish they would have left it.

• @captain-coel Ok well go make another forum post about it, that is only minorly related to the topic I wanted to discuss, and nobody is actively engaging in that discussion.

@captain-coel Ok well go make another forum post about it, that is only minorly related to the topic I wanted to discuss, and nobody is actively engaging in that discussion.

It very much is part of this discussion, as it is countering your suggestion to make an old commendation even easier than it currently is, all because the crews you are sailing with do not care about the commendation you want to complete.

The game has certain conditions for selling shipwrecked chests: Only to GH at the outpost. If you can't sell them there, you can either convince your crew to go sell them there, or just... try again next time. There isn't much of a need to change it when it's a crew issue that you couldn't sell the chests you wanted to sell.

• @nex-stargaze The game is intended to be played with anyone right? Like if it is practical for someone to play with an LFG, but they can't get a group to specifically grind out a commendation. Then why should they be punished for not getting that group specifically? You literally countered my own original point by saying that there are conditions when the intention of this post was a suggestion to change those conditions. Do you see your flaw now? And no it does not make the commendation easier, the current commendation makes it unintentionally harder for specific player groups.

• @Nex-Stargaze

There is an official Discord server for Sea of Thieves that has thousands of members there willing to help you clear a commendation (since they may likely share the same goal). You should not be using Open Crew to clear a commendation.

I am literally one of the most active people in there. In fact, I said my original suggestion there and then went here to archive it. IK it exists, but you rarely actually get a full crew for barnacle chests. Even if it seems there are thousands of people trying to do it, 99% are trying to do Reaper WE/FOTD or HG or Athena 30 grinding.

And I am not making this post with the intention of grinding it, in fact, I am not going to grind it any time soon. I am making this post with the intention that it should be more accessible since it is already a tall order and is only made harder if you are playing with crews that may or may not have the exact same vision as you. Also, I don't need to be told how to play the game, that's not the point either. I was never intending to receive advice nor was I asking for it in any way.

@nex-stargaze The game is intended to be played with anyone right? Like if it is practical for someone to play with an LFG, but they can't get a group to specifically grind out a commendation. Then why should they be punished for not getting that group specifically?

Because gathering a crew in Xbox LFG is on the level of rolling dice, and you can't expect crews to want to do any activity with you in full commitment or awareness. Discord LFCs tend to be better because if users are smart/willing enough to use a lot of social media, they have more than enough capabilities to help grind out the commendation with you.

Also, you could just solo, just don't challenge a skeleton fleet solo unless you're an incredibly crafty pirate. This is why my initial post in this thread said not to hard focus the grind. If you're gathering loot in any way, chances are you'll get your opportunity to progress, this one is more egregious because it's tougher to find under its conditions of being found (or you could just dig up the AI generated maps from the quest board as I hear those have a chance for having you dig up a shipwrecked chest, don't quote me on that though).

@captain-coel Ok well go make another forum post about it, that is only minorly related to the topic I wanted to discuss, and nobody is actively engaging in that discussion.

I was providing history to the fact it has already been nerfed. It doesn't need to be easier, you need to be more convincing.

• @captain-coel well as we already discussed it’s not a nerf.

Views
28 out of 50