Make it EASIER to GET BASE CURSE or MORE WAYS to get ALLEGIANCE levels

• The only way to get reasonable amounts of allegiance levels right now is PvP, this is a neat way to get more people involved in PvP, but is also locking some of the most requested curses behind a huge amount of PvP which only 2%-3% of players played in the old arena game mode.

• What I am suggesting is that there be some other method to earn allegiance (these methods could include some large amount of gold/doubloons to buy levels, kind-of like how you can buy levels for gold hoarders, order of souls, etc. with doubloons, another way, that would still keep PvP as the best method of earning allegiance could be rewarding the player with some allegiance for the amount of time they wait of over the estimated match making time, eg. for every min over estimated match making time, give the player the amount of xp equivalent to losing a match or something completely different.)

• To keep PvP even more involved, maybe just lower the allegiance needed for base curse.

• All other curses have been PvE rewards, but could be obtained by PvPers just as easily as PvEers. The two most requested curses are PvP rewards and are near imposible to obtain by PvEers. A lot of PvEers, such as myself have wanted these curses for a long time, but even just the base curse seems imposible to obtain... 40 battles and I am just level 10- each battle taking up to 30 min to match make... and difficulty scales up... I've wanted this curse since I first played in season 2, but at this point I might just give up even though I want this curse so bad, if there was an option to start as skeleton, I'd delete my pirate to get that option.

Views
    feedback
  • I knew someone would request this.
    It is after all, odd to lock the popular requested items behind a pvp only. But it is also new.

I give it maybe til Summer before some changes start happening, by then a good part of the pvp base will own the curse and be 1000
    While the slow and casual players will be stuck at 50+

Give it time.

• The arena was a totally different mode, and totally different situation from this, the only thing thats comparable between the 2 is that they are about fighting people, beyond that the similarities end.

If you look at all other curses, they all take effort to get, the ashen curse being the easiest of the whole lot to get, but even that takes effort to earn, while the gold curse as one of the most sought after takes an absolutely insane amount of effort to get, so it would make sense that the most requested curses be something extremely difficult to get.

Making these rewards "earnable" through buying them completely takes the challenge away that makes them special... As i have been saying, a trophy isnt a trophy if you bought it.

• I don't have a problem with that reputation is hidden behind PVP. My problem is 4 wins out of 15 matches combined with a long waiting time for a match, I have a very low lvl. As a weaker player, I enjoy the opportunity to learn solo vs solo pvp, but I wish losing would also give me a little more reputation. I spend a lot of time after losing a match on supplies because I don't have any more gold to supply the ship. And because of the slow progress plus the knowledge that you need more reputation on higher lvl it demotivates me a bit. It will take me 6 months to reach lvl 100 if I don't stop playing this mode.

• (Almost) every single reward in the game is earned by doing PVE. Especially since arena is gone. I knew people would complain anyway.

So you don't want to PVP to get the rewards? Well, I don't want to do 50 veil voyages to get The Servant's hat.

But that is not how rewards work. This is a PVEVP game. You want to have all rewards? Then you have to get involved in every part of it.

• @trzeci-sutek said in MORE WAYS to get ALLEGIANCE levels:

I don't have a problem with that reputation is hidden behind PVP. My problem is 4 wins out of 15 matches combined with a long waiting time for a match, I have a very low lvl. As a weaker player, I enjoy the opportunity to learn solo vs solo pvp, but I wish losing would also give me a little more reputation. I spend a lot of time after losing a match on supplies because I don't have any more gold to supply the ship. And because of the slow progress plus the knowledge that you need more reputation on higher lvl it demotivates me a bit. It will take me 6 months to reach lvl 100 if I don't stop playing this mode.

We share the same mind on this.

• @goldsmen said in MORE WAYS to get ALLEGIANCE levels:

The arena was a totally different mode, and totally different situation from this, the only thing thats comparable between the 2 is that they are about fighting people, beyond that the similarities end.

If you look at all other curses, they all take effort to get, the ashen curse being the easiest of the whole lot to get, but even that takes effort to earn, while the gold curse as one of the most sought after takes an absolutely insane amount of effort to get, so it would make sense that the most requested curses be something extremely difficult to get.

Making these rewards "earnable" through buying them completely takes the challenge away that makes them special... As i have been saying, a trophy isnt a trophy if you bought it.

Idk why the grind for gold curse can be compared to even just the level 100 hourglass curses. I may be biased, but I dont see how a pvper doing tall tales 5 times each is near as difficult or a hassle as an inexperienced pvper/pve-er grinding to level 100 when 2/3+ of their matches are losses. I still think it should be a pvp requirement and that there shouldnt be a pve alternative, but I still feel the progression should be faster.

I also dont see how buying 1 level per month would be so bad either. As someone pointed out in my post that it would take 8 years to get from 0-100. 5 levels bought per month would still take almost 2 years, but I suppose thats a lot easier for people to get out of the grind, so probably not the best idea.

• Respectfully, but no thanks.

There are 5 awesome curses that are completely achievable through PVE means. Nothing at all wrong with PvP players having something awesome to fight for, and be rewarded with.

• I think buying levels sounds reasonable for these factions. 1 level is about 2 wins? Milestones and those ship cosmetics as well as the lvl 1000 unlocks are bigger status symbols than then lvl 100 unlocks. And it will be an impossibility to unlock 1000 levels through buying 1 a month. So even if someone buys even so 20 or so levels over the next 2 years they will still have to actually play the mode to gain most of their progress. I don't even think a large amount of doubloons would be required... Unless they allow us to buy more than 1 level per month. Like maybe capping it at 5 levels per month. At 5 levels per month it would still take over 12 years to hit lvl 1000. As much as we love this game it will not be in service in 12 years. If anything we might have a Sea of Thieves 2 but this game will have been retired at that point.

Agree 100% on if a match takes longer you should get more reputation... And perhaps also if the match itself takes longer. But then that could lead to people intentionally drawing out matches to boost their gain. Similarly I think if they add a timer they are going to punish people who are throwing matches by not giving you any rep or milestones if you lose the match too fast. While yes people are throwing matches... A skilled player is capable of sinking unskilled people really fast as well so this would lead to even worse problems than the awesome strategy that I honestly love of sailing a person out of bounds... Like conceptually that is a cool strategy. But once you look at the fact that losing via out of bounds makes it so the loser doesn't get any reputation nor milestone progress... That's where I have an issue. They took something that was fundamentally cool but then added a penalty to it because they didn't want people intentionally sailing out of bounds for a fast loss... Which with me playing on a sloop out of bounds is probably the slowest way to throw a match rather than just letting yourself get bombarded at the start. They put way too much thought into trying to combat people trying to progress through losses and not enough time into how people could exploit in bad ways.

As per every idea I have I am sure people will hate this idea too or just not want to do the math on 1000 months = how many years to buy your way to level cap. Its a literal impossibility unless they remove the purchase limit.

I think 100 for the base curse is okay... Having to do it twice kinda sucks though. I think the season pass pirate legend curse should be unlockable at 50 though so you could actually use it. Instead it unlocks at 100 which at that point you are going to wear the new curse. It's not like you can have on both. (I don't think anyway)

• @trzeci-sutek 6 months per side so 1 year to get both. Not terrible but that's also assuming as time goes on match making times don't get worse as people abandon the mode

• @thorumsu I think the lvl 1000 rewards are a good example of pvp exclusivity. Having the grind for the mode be so daunting and its the only content that has been added to the game in like what 9 months? Yes captaincy was technically content but it was all about ship cosmetics and customization. Outside of adventures and the addition of LoTV voyages and sea forts we haven't gotten new PvE content. Captaincy took what like 7 months to come out and it didn't add new PvE just milestones to regrind old PvE.

Having lower level goals in this PvP mode is nothing but a positive thing for the PvP community. It insures that there will always be a influx of players who view the lower tiers as obtainable while the longer goals of like 1000 would be HUGE status symbols and likely only obtained by the most diehard of PvPers. Wanting this mode to be purely PvPers and saying PvE players should expect rewards to be obtainable for them is kinda of arrogant and short sighted. You can have a system with easy to access goals for everyone while also have the harder to obtain goals for the tryhards. Currently the system only has rewards for the tryhards... Not just PvP tryhards but the tryhards who think they can force their way to their goal via whatever possible method be it exploiting or throwing matches. If you want a purely PvP game with only PvP rewards than go play a PvP only game.

It's just like the pirate legend arena weapons. Yea they were a status symbol for the people who grinded arena... But they should have gotten unique skins. Not a recolor, something unique. Instead they removed arena and gave a recolor of those weapons because they realize oh.... the entire purple/gold athena set was unlocked via PvE grinds EXCEPT the weapons which for some silly reason we locked behind arena rather than making a whole new unique model set for the PvPers that would have been an even bigger status symbol.

• Gold curse did not take "insane amounts of effort" ya crybabies.

That being said, PL curse locked away at 105? I spent maybe 10 hours getting 100% on season 1. Not equivalent at all to the current requirement. If any items need to have the requirements nerfed it's that.

• @pithyrumble Exactly. If you were playing in season1. You could basically have logged in and fallen asleep and gotten it lol. The grind to unlock it now is like a punishment for not playing seasons out the gate. It will take longer than it would have to get all 8 season to renown 100 combined. And you can't even wear them together. Yea I don't know who thought the gold curse was hard. Tedious sure not hard though, easier now with checkpoints too.

• @pithyrumble said in MORE WAYS to get ALLEGIANCE levels:

Gold curse did not take "insane amounts of effort" ya crybabies.

That being said, PL curse locked away at 105? I spent maybe 10 hours getting 100% on season 1. Not equivalent at all to the current requirement. If any items need to have the requirements nerfed it's that.

yeah that's a wild difference in requirement lol

also not a fan of the skeleton curse being the chosen cosmetic to put behind this when so many pvers were the ones spamming about that with requests for years lol

but in general I'd just look at it like hunter's call

it took some people years of searching shipwrecks and barrels, lots of fishing for plunder without a catch, not every session paid off, it eventually got done.

• @wolfmanbush

You also didn't have people crying that it wasn't fair that you got them out of shipwrecks or sold gems...

• @pithyrumble said in MORE WAYS to get ALLEGIANCE levels:

@wolfmanbush

You also didn't have people crying that it wasn't fair that you got them out of shipwrecks or sold gems...

I think fight night bonuses and daily deeds for fight focused objectives (win or lose) could help and maybe make things more fun long term.

• @wolfmanbush said in MORE WAYS to get ALLEGIANCE levels:

@pithyrumble said in MORE WAYS to get ALLEGIANCE levels:

@wolfmanbush

I think fight night bonuses and daily deeds for fight focused objectives (win or lose) could help and maybe make things more fun long term.

even if they did bonuses on a weekend once a month.

The arena was a totally different mode, and totally different situation from this, the only thing thats comparable between the 2 is that they are about fighting people, beyond that the similarities end.

I see what you mean when you say that buying it would make it less special, and I did not mean it that way, when I said "buy levels", I meant, for huge amounts of gold, like 100k per level (or some amount that would take longer to get than getting the level through wins in pvp) so that pvp would still be the fastest way to earn allegiance, but so that players who are really struggling can at least give themselves a boost instead of waiting 30 min is queue just to get a loss.

I don't have a problem with that reputation is hidden behind PVP. My problem is 4 wins out of 15 matches combined with a long waiting time for a match, I have a very low lvl. As a weaker player, I enjoy the opportunity to learn solo vs solo pvp, but I wish losing would also give me a little more reputation. I spend a lot of time after losing a match on supplies because I don't have any more gold to supply the ship. And because of the slow progress plus the knowledge that you need more reputation on higher lvl it demotivates me a bit. It will take me 6 months to reach lvl 100 if I don't stop playing this mode.

I totally agree with you, if it were to be at least somewhat easier to earn levels that would also do good. :)

• Użytkownik @magus104 napisał w MORE WAYS to get ALLEGIANCE levels:

@trzeci-sutek 6 months per side so 1 year to get both. Not terrible but that's also assuming as time goes on match making times don't get worse as people abandon the mode

Assuming that over time I will win more often, it will be even faster. and you are talking about 2 factions per 100 levels and I would like at least one for 1000 levels to do. Now my biggest enemy is not the grind but the long matchmaking times and the absolute lack of gold for captain's supplies, so I have to go back to pve instead of grinding pvp.

Użytkownik @magus104 napisał w MORE WAYS to get ALLEGIANCE levels:

@trzeci-sutek 6 months per side so 1 year to get both. Not terrible but that's also assuming as time goes on match making times don't get worse as people abandon the mode

Assuming that over time I will win more often, it will be even faster. and you are talking about 2 factions per 100 levels and I would like at least one for 1000 levels to do. Now my biggest enemy is not the grind but the long matchmaking times and the absolute lack of gold for captain's supplies, so I have to go back to pve instead of grinding pvp.

Even a streak of 2 gives you 50K gold if you have the emisarry flag up.

So you don't have to return to PVE.

• Użytkownik @thorumsu napisał w MORE WAYS to get ALLEGIANCE levels:

@trzeci-sutek said in MORE WAYS to get ALLEGIANCE levels:

Użytkownik @magus104 napisał w MORE WAYS to get ALLEGIANCE levels:

Even a streak of 2 gives you 50K gold if you have the emisarry flag up.

So you don't have to return to PVE.

First you have to make a two-win streak. My score is 4 wins out of 14 matches. I started to withdraw 10,000 gold from the hourglass to return me at least for a storage create. and some reputation for the faction

• @alphawolf7878 I, for the most part agree, if it weren't as "seemingly impossible" to non-pvpers I'd agree that there doesn't need to be an alternative, I am completely fine with pvp being a requirment for this, as I mentioned in this suggestion: "locking some of the most requested curses behind a huge amount of pvp", It's the huge amount of it that is the problem, and that the amount of it is even larger to those who aren't good at it. This is one of the main differences between the grind for the gold curse and the grind for lvl 100 allegiance, unlike the gold curse, which is tedious to earn but doable by anyone who really wants it, getting level 100 punishes those who are bad at it by making them need to do even more pvp, (if you are bad at pvp and probably enjoy it less -> do more since you didn't get all those streaks and wins in you first 100 battles. if you are good at pvp and probably enjoy it more -> you can do less since you've got all those nice streaks and wins early on)

• @magus104 said in MORE WAYS to get ALLEGIANCE levels:

@thorumsu I think the lvl 1000 rewards are a good example of pvp exclusivity. Having the grind for the mode be so daunting and its the only content that has been added to the game in like what 9 months? Yes captaincy was technically content but it was all about ship cosmetics and customization. Outside of adventures and the addition of LoTV voyages and sea forts we haven't gotten new PvE content. Captaincy took what like 7 months to come out and it didn't add new PvE just milestones to regrind old PvE.

Having lower level goals in this PvP mode is nothing but a positive thing for the PvP community. It insures that there will always be a influx of players who view the lower tiers as obtainable while the longer goals of like 1000 would be HUGE status symbols and likely only obtained by the most diehard of PvPers. Wanting this mode to be purely PvPers and saying PvE players should expect rewards to be obtainable for them is kinda of arrogant and short sighted. You can have a system with easy to access goals for everyone while also have the harder to obtain goals for the tryhards. Currently the system only has rewards for the tryhards... Not just PvP tryhards but the tryhards who think they can force their way to their goal via whatever possible method be it exploiting or throwing matches. If you want a purely PvP game with only PvP rewards than go play a PvP only game.

It's just like the pirate legend arena weapons. Yea they were a status symbol for the people who grinded arena... But they should have gotten unique skins. Not a recolor, something unique. Instead they removed arena and gave a recolor of those weapons because they realize oh.... the entire purple/gold athena set was unlocked via PvE grinds EXCEPT the weapons which for some silly reason we locked behind arena rather than making a whole new unique model set for the PvPers that would have been an even bigger status symbol.

@magus104 I completely agree with this!

• @sir-sniffils said in MORE WAYS to get ALLEGIANCE levels:

@goldsmen said in MORE WAYS to get ALLEGIANCE levels:

I see what you mean when you say that buying it would make it less special, and I did not mean it that way, when I said "buy levels", I meant, for huge amounts of gold, like 100k per level (or some amount that would take longer to get than getting the level through wins in pvp) so that pvp would still be the fastest way to earn allegiance, but so that players who are really struggling can at least give themselves a boost instead of waiting 30 min is queue just to get a loss.

Buying it for any amount of gold still takes away from it. These curses are supposed to basically be trophies for taking part in god only knows how many fights and putting real effort in.

Any amount of gold still takes away from what makes earning it special, and 100k gold per level isnt much considering 100k is basically just an hour of gameplay, and the levels for this scale.

@sir-sniffils said in MORE WAYS to get ALLEGIANCE levels:

@goldsmen said in MORE WAYS to get ALLEGIANCE levels:

Buying it for any amount of gold still takes away from it. These curses are supposed to basically be trophies for taking part in god only knows how many fights and putting real effort in.

Any amount of gold still takes away from what makes earning it special, and 100k gold per level isnt much considering 100k is basically just an hour of gameplay, and the levels for this scale.

Even if it was just easier to get the base curse, that would be great because many PvEers are trying as hard as they can, and just like you say: "putting real effort in.", but getting even just the base curse seems impossible.

• @sir-sniffils it's not impossible by any means. And if you think you are trying your hardest, you might just need tk get better. Sure season 7 was a bit of a dud, but they have constantly added PvE content via permanent additions and even the temporary adventures. It's been years since something was added purely for pvp.

Just losing will get you exp, learning to fight will help you win some later.

Sorry PvE players will have to adapt and play PvP

• @captain-coel I know it's not impossible but it really feels like it... I'm only level 11 after 50+ battles- and the first ten levels only require 1 win each... And with no streaks, based on all the information I've gathered from people in the discord it would take around 550 wins to get lvl 100 with no streaks, and around 4,400 losses to get lvl 100. I kind of just gave up on the whole game now.

• @sir-sniffils said in Make it EASIER to GET BASE CURSE or MORE WAYS to get ALLEGIANCE levels:

I'm only level 11 after 50+ battles- and the first ten levels only require 1 win each...

The update has only been out for about a week and you're already 11% of the way there. While yes, higher levels will require more allegiance to level up, it is expected that you will also get batter at PvP as time goes on, so the more you play the more battles you should find yourself winning. Throw up an emissary and even a streak of 2 will do some decent leveling up. It will take a couple months maybe, but I think it's good that we have a season with content that most people haven't finished within one week of playing.

I kind of just gave up on the whole game now.

That's just silly. You're going to give up on the entire game because you can't get 2 rewards within a week of playing? This is meant to be long term, grindy content.

• you have played for a week. you are complaining about having pvp in a pvp update. you should be able to get both curses in 2 days by raising the reaper emissary while stacking fotd in an alliance server that you paid 20 usd to enter.

• also, you can get these curses by being a defender, collecting treasure and putting it on your ship.

• @goldsmen said in Make it EASIER to GET BASE CURSE or MORE WAYS to get ALLEGIANCE levels:

while the gold curse as one of the most sought after takes an absolutely insane amount of effort to get, so it would make sense that the most requested curses be something extremely difficult to get.

(I hate to be that guy) BUUUT I am gonna be that guy

For reference: I achieved the gold curse soon after anniversary released and hated (most) of it (I’m looking at you Legendary Storyteller) this is before the checkpoint system.

Post checkpoint system, the gold curse is easily achievable in 1-2 (long) DAYS. How do I know? I’ve done it, multiple times. Do I checkpoint abuse? Yeah but it’s about efficiency. I have brought friends through the tall tales and am doing so again next week. That being said, the new BASE curses take a hardcore streamer 3 days to achieve. Do with that info what you please

• Or more curses. Like have the poor people curses. That won't help me though who doesn't care about the curses at all I just want the achievements which is the same lvl 100 grind so

• @dabomb139 Even still with chechpoint abuse, that relies on having another person willing to just join and place it down for you for hours. Not many people are willing to do that, and it shows considering the gold curse is still EXTREMELY rare.

• My first attempt ended up with the opponent anchored, boarding me, spawn killing me over and over until my ship left the area and blew up...

Yeah...

Screw getting to 100 if it'll be like this the whole time

Views
feedback
1 out of 880