Passive Mode on the Hourglass is Broken. Unsurprised by another buggy update.

• So. Tried this new grand Season 8 Rare put out.
    Put on an Athena flag. Loaded my ship.
    Turned on the hour glass for Passive mode. (got the glowy effect on the front of the ship - and nautical miles ticker working in the commendations).
    1 Hr later I finished a LOTV. Got all the loot.
    Got the hour glass to grade 3...

But..

My hourglass said 0 worth the whole time. So I tried selling my loot. I didn't get any allegiance reward or extra gold..
    The Hourglass went to to 0 then underneath said 'undefined value'
    Collecting more loot to test a lvl 5 hourglass to see if it makes a difference.. and the hourglass is stuck at 0 like no loot exists on my ship..

Great job Rare! Looks to me you spent more on marketing than actually putting out a polished update.

Views
  • @lord-spark-0
    My guess would be that you need to get into a fight and win to have that loot count for allegiance.

• @lord-spark-0 Make sense, since you get it only for PvP battles and you haven't done any. The loot will enhance the level you gain when you win a PvP fight, on its own it doesn't do anything.

• @super87ghost

No it doesnt make sense since I queue for the system and get nothing for it...
    Played PvE for over an hour putting my ship at risk with the system and not getting anything for it is broken..

• @lord-spark-0 But you only get levels based on PvP, so PvE doesn't do anything, that is only for the companies. That is exactly how it is meant to be.

• @super87ghost said in Passive Mode on the Hourglass is Broken. Unsurprised by another buggy update.:

@lord-spark-0 But you only get levels based on PvP, so PvE doesn't do anything, that is only for the companies. That is exactly how it is meant to be.

I just did a 1v1 solo sloop battle. And it took 1.5 hrs of play for someone to invade me btw.
    Loot didn't do anything pal. Only got Allegiance for the win...

• Have to actually pvp to earn anything.
    So pve is out of luck.

I say they may change this…

• @lord-spark-0 said in Passive Mode on the Hourglass is Broken. Unsurprised by another buggy update.:

@super87ghost said in Passive Mode on the Hourglass is Broken. Unsurprised by another buggy update.:

@lord-spark-0 But you only get levels based on PvP, so PvE doesn't do anything, that is only for the companies. That is exactly how it is meant to be.

I just did a 1v1 solo sloop battle. And it took 1.5 hrs of play for someone to invade me btw.

Yes, and the amount of allegiance you get for the win depends on if/how many loot you have on your ship. Rare already explained that.

• @lem0n-curry said in Passive Mode on the Hourglass is Broken. Unsurprised by another buggy update.:

@lord-spark-0
    My guess would be that you need to get into a fight and win to have that loot count for allegiance.

If I opt in the system and collect loot like a good pirate but get zero battles due to queues or whatever it may be, I should still get some kind of reward..

Now after getting my first win after over an hour of playing, my grade went from 0 (even though I had loot on board) to 1 and hourglass is worth 10k now..

I should be accumulating more hourglass rewards the more loot I get on board regardless of a battle or not because Im putting my ship at risk.. Thats the way Rare made the system sound like it was going to happen and it isn't like that at all apparently. To me, its broken because it said undefined value after selling a haul of loot and unable to get the rank moving again adding more loot on to my ship..

• @lord-spark-0 said in Passive Mode on the Hourglass is Broken. Unsurprised by another buggy update.:

@super87ghost said in Passive Mode on the Hourglass is Broken. Unsurprised by another buggy update.:

Yes, and the amount of allegiance you get for the win depends on if/how many loot you have on your ship. Rare already explained that.

• @super87ghost said in Passive Mode on the Hourglass is Broken. Unsurprised by another buggy update.:

@lord-spark-0 said in Passive Mode on the Hourglass is Broken. Unsurprised by another buggy update.:

In my understanding, as per the release notes I can still earn allegiance without seeking a battle with the passive mode..
    But they failed to specifically say that a battle must happen for allegiance to accumulate. So its dependent on the queue system? Lol really? So I can choose to PvE, never get a battle, and not get rewarded for it though I put my ship at risk? That's what you're telling me?

• @lord-spark-0 This is what is said in the release notes:
    "Pirates who have joined a Faction can still earn Allegiance without hunting opposing crews, though they must be prepared to defend their hoard: after joining the Battle for the Sea of Thieves, the more treasure is amassed and kept safe on board, the higher the ship’s Treasure Grade"

Seems pretty clear to me, you need to win (defend) an attack on your ship for the allegiance.

@lord-spark-0 This is what is said in the release notes:
    "Pirates who have joined a Faction can still earn Allegiance without hunting opposing crews, though they must be prepared to defend their hoard: after joining the Battle for the Sea of Thieves, the more treasure is amassed and kept safe on board, the higher the ship’s Treasure Grade"

Seems pretty clear to me, you need to win (defend) an attack on your ship for the allegiance.

'Must be prepared to defend their hoard' means just putting it on should earn you allegiance. (Because when I put loot on my ship and put my ship on passive mode, I'm preparing my ship for combat..)

A better way to write that is 'Allegience is only earned when sinking invading ships'

• The loot doesnt increase the glasses value just by having it, passive doesnt mean pve, you have to fight to still get value or any rep on it.

The real question is how no one invaded you after an hour, i got invaded multiple times in the span of maby 2 hours? But it isnt a bug that your glass didnt raise in value when you got loot, thats just a misunderstanding of how it works.

• @lord-spark-0 As a note, yes having loot does mean you will lose a bit more money if you lose, but with an emissary flag that got to grade 5 after just 4 battles earlier, when i turned in my glass, i got 100k worth of gold back.

• @goldsmen said in Passive Mode on the Hourglass is Broken. Unsurprised by another buggy update.:

The loot doesnt increase the glasses value just by having it, passive doesnt mean pve, you have to fight to still get value or any rep on it.

The real question is how no one invaded you after an hour, i got invaded multiple times in the span of maby 2 hours? But it isnt a bug that your glass didnt raise in value when you got loot, thats just a misunderstanding of how it works.

Did you even read the OP?

The update is buggy in regards to Passive mode.

1. I collected Loot.
    2. It got to Grade 3 (almost 4).
    3. No value (because you and other people seem to think only PvP is the star here - we'll get to that)
    4. I go an sell. No extra rewards given.
    5. Hourglass drops to 0 then it gave me undefined value
    6. After collecting more loot, I could not raise my hourglass level like 1-3

And it seems like you and other here are narrowly looking at the 'well only PvP players should get the rewards

FALSE.

Incentives should be made for people that do the sandbox PvE (to make it more a PvEvP game again). And loot collecting/rewards should be a thing regardless if you get attacked.
    If you're collecting loot, and flagging your ship (putting a risk on at ANY time you're sailing), you should be rewarded for that time. Even if the system is broken or what have you, you should get some kind of extra reward for part-taking in the system..
    Risk = Reward. Plain and simple.

Incentives... if you get a bunch of players that want to PvP but don't want to server hop, and play the game normally, then imagine all the scenarios and stories of players winning, getting lots of loot, then trying to B-line to outposts or Reapers to sell only to get attacked themselves on the way...

Its broken. And it needs a change.

• @lord-spark-0 There is no added risk if no one invades you. You still get the regular gold + emissary boost from regular play which is basically what you've done in that case.

• @d3adst1ck said in Passive Mode on the Hourglass is Broken. Unsurprised by another buggy update.:

@lord-spark-0 There is no added risk if no one invades you. You still get the regular gold + emissary boost from regular play which is basically what you've done in that case.

False. You can get attacked at ANY time.
    When I tried Duo sloop (cause my example above was when I was solo sloop). We got attacked while we were inside caves on an island..
    So, you're wrong.

Flagging a ship to be invaded is a RISK. What is wrong with you? Why can't you see that?

And again, if you incentive loot collecting, regardless of getting attacked or not, you should get something extra for flagging for PvP...

• @lord-spark-0 You got attacked by a regular server ship that you could fight back against, run away from, etc... This is normal play. You were not attacked by a ship specifically sent to the server to fight you and were locked into a confined area with no escape. I don't know why you have a hard time comprehending the difference here.

• @d3adst1ck said in Passive Mode on the Hourglass is Broken. Unsurprised by another buggy update.:

@lord-spark-0 You got attacked by a regular server ship that you could fight back against, run away from, etc... This is normal play. You were not attacked by a ship specifically sent to the server to fight you and were locked into a confined area with no escape. I don't know why you have a hard time comprehending the difference here.

If you get attacked from a non-Hourglass ship in a server, you have a chance to get your loot back. Per normal play.
    If you get attacked and lose to an hourglass battle, the server kicks you out when lost, and you dont have a chance to get your loot back.

You have a hard time comprehending whats going on here. Look at the bigger picture of whats going on.

• @lord-spark-0
    It seems to me that there was just a bug in how the grade level showed up. If you sold everything and it said "undefined," then the grade went below 0. So it was probably there all along and just didn't show up for you.

You do not get allegiance when you sell the loot at any grade. You might get more allegiance if you sell an hourglass at a higher grade level, but i do not know. In any case, sell the hourglass first. Removing loot from your ship just drops your grade level.

It's odd that you did a whole LotV and didn't get attacked... but in the end, the allegiance is meant to be tied to PvP only and just because you think that isn't fair, doesn't mean it isn't fair. Maybe in this case, you can say that you took a risk that someone wouldn't attack you.

You just had a weird experience. It doesn't mean that passive play is not working. I did some passive mode yesterday and everything worked perfectly.

• @lord-spark-0

the system is clear, you get allegiance and reward for DEFENDING your ship from pvp, if you did not get invaded or attacked by a ship from the opposing faction then you got no reward because you didnt have to defend yourself from said pvp

if the system would reward the pve actions just for doing the pve actions then this system would be exploited and the pvp part of it would add nothing.

HOURGLASS REWARDS
    When you represent a Faction, sinking foes increases the value of your Hourglass of Fate. Leave the Battle at any Outpost (or The Reaper's Hideout) and the Hourglass Value is exchanged for gold and Allegiance. But sink before leaving the Battle and you’ll lose it all!

right there on the season 8 page

• @grumpyw01f said in Passive Mode on the Hourglass is Broken. Unsurprised by another buggy update.:

@lord-spark-0
    It seems to me that there was just a bug in how the grade level showed up. If you sold everything and it said "undefined," then the grade went below 0. So it was probably there all along and just didn't show up for you.

You do not get allegiance when you sell the loot at any grade. You might get more allegiance if you sell an hourglass at a higher grade level, but i do not know. In any case, sell the hourglass first. Removing loot from your ship just drops your grade level.

It's odd that you did a whole LotV and didn't get attacked... but in the end, the allegiance is meant to be tied to PvP only and just because you think that isn't fair, doesn't mean it isn't fair. Maybe in this case, you can say that you took a risk that someone wouldn't attack you.

You just had a weird experience. It doesn't mean that passive play is not working. I did some passive mode yesterday and everything worked perfectly.

Probably there all along....
    You just had a weird experience...

No. It wasn't there all along. It was Undefined.
    And I had a buggy experience. Per the post..

Do I think its fair that someone flags their ship for PvP, but because of bugs or it not working or whatever excuse you can come up with, doesn't get rewarded for it because the system didnt do anything? Yeah thats not fair. How can you think that is fair for players that took the time to do collect loot and not get rewards for being flagged for PvP (without getting actual PvP).

• @callmebackdraft said in Passive Mode on the Hourglass is Broken. Unsurprised by another buggy update.:

@lord-spark-0

the system is clear, you get allegiance and reward for DEFENDING your ship from pvp, if you did not get invaded or attacked by a ship from the opposing faction then you got no reward because you didnt have to defend yourself from said pvp

if the system would reward the pve actions just for doing the pve actions then this system would be exploited and the pvp part of it would add nothing.

HOURGLASS REWARDS
    When you represent a Faction, sinking foes increases the value of your Hourglass of Fate. Leave the Battle at any Outpost (or The Reaper's Hideout) and the Hourglass Value is exchanged for gold and Allegiance. But sink before leaving the Battle and you’ll lose it all!

right there on the season 8 page

Its already been commented above. The way Rare wrote the Treasure section of the build is a little misleading. Because they said players 'must be prepared' to defend their loot instead of being specific about it and saying 'only players that sink other ships will get allegiance'.
    That's all they had to write.

And 2, how is it 'exploiting' the system if players are actively flagging their ships for PvP? It means players that actively search for PvP will have more players to go and sink..

Let me ask you, since your brain seems grog-filled.
    Is it more satisfying?
    A. to sink a ship full of loot (or Athena loot in my case).
    B. to sink a ship with nothing?

Don't you want the game to improve the PvEvP experience. Or all you care about is PvP? You can have both still with this mode...

• @lord-spark-0
    I think you just need to calm down. You didn't actually read a word I said.

Let it go or live in torment!

Have a nice day.

So. Tried this new grand Season 8 Rare put out.
    Put on an Athena flag. Loaded my ship.
    Turned on the hour glass for Passive mode. (got the glowy effect on the front of the ship - and nautical miles ticker working in the commendations).
    1 Hr later I finished a LOTV. Got all the loot.
    Got the hour glass to grade 3...

But..

My hourglass said 0 worth the whole time. So I tried selling my loot. I didn't get any allegiance reward or extra gold..
    The Hourglass went to to 0 then underneath said 'undefined value'
    Collecting more loot to test a lvl 5 hourglass to see if it makes a difference.. and the hourglass is stuck at 0 like no loot exists on my ship..

Great job Rare! Looks to me you spent more on marketing than actually putting out a polished update.

I had the same problem. Apparently you need the hourglass active in order for the value to go up. Clearly this is a bug that needs to be fixed.

One thing to keep in mind, the treasure must be on your ship to count for the hourglass to have value. Unfortunately, I haven’t tried turning in the hourglass while I have had loot on my ship.

• Imo you didn't get invaded since for someone to invade you while solo slooping it needs to be :
    A solo sloop, of the opposing faction, close in MMR, asking to invade others.
    It's possible that you chose to represent the more numerous faction amongs other solo sloopers at the time.
    Next time, maybe try to change allegeance and see if that helps.

• @grog-minto said in Passive Mode on the Hourglass is Broken. Unsurprised by another buggy update.:

Imo you didn't get invaded since for someone to invade you while solo slooping it needs to be :
    A solo sloop, of the opposing faction, close in MMR, asking to invade others.
    It's possible that you chose to represent the more numerous faction amongs other solo sloopers at the time.
    Next time, maybe try to change allegeance and see if that helps.

I was solo sloop hunting last night and was getting into fights pretty often, it was when I open crewed a second player it started to take 10+ minutes to queue into a fight, that said I'm pretty sure you're supposed to turn in your hour glass first to get allegiance selling the loot itself will not increase your rep it's only useful to you if it's on your ship when you turn in the hour glass but personally I haven't tried anything outside the PvP aspect.

@goldsmen said in Passive Mode on the Hourglass is Broken. Unsurprised by another buggy update.:

The loot doesnt increase the glasses value just by having it, passive doesnt mean pve, you have to fight to still get value or any rep on it.

1. I collected Loot.
    3. No value (because you and other people seem to think only PvP is the star here - we'll get to that)

And it seems like you and other here are narrowly looking at the 'well only PvP players should get the rewards

FALSE.

Incentives should be made for people that do the sandbox PvE (to make it more a PvEvP game again). And loot collecting/rewards should be a thing regardless if you get attacked.
    If you're collecting loot, and flagging your ship (putting a risk on at ANY time you're sailing), you should be rewarded for that time. Even if the system is broken or what have you, you should get some kind of extra reward for part-taking in the system..

Incentives... if you get a bunch of players that want to PvP but don't want to server hop, and play the game normally, then imagine all the scenarios and stories of players winning, getting lots of loot, then trying to B-line to outposts or Reapers to sell only to get attacked themselves on the way...

But thats literally how it works, when playing passive, gathering loot increases a loot grade bar, that loot grade bar doesnt increase the rep directly, it simply multiplies how much rep you get when you win.

As for what is incentivized, i absolutely disagree, the game is still just as pvpve with this, its simply an option to incentivize people to actually play the pvp aspect of the game. So how do you incentivize carrying loot for pvp? Well, you defend it, otherwise i could see people stacking loot on a row boat, starting the match making and then docking the row boat to get the rep, then cashing out immediately to avoid all risk. I would rather not have a mechanic that makes a pvp system, in an update that was expressed to be about pvp for months, possible through only pve if some one is sneaky.

• @goldsmen said in Passive Mode on the Hourglass is Broken. Unsurprised by another buggy update.:

@lord-spark-0 said in Passive Mode on the Hourglass is Broken. Unsurprised by another buggy update.:

@goldsmen said in Passive Mode on the Hourglass is Broken. Unsurprised by another buggy update.:

1. I collected Loot.

FALSE.

But thats literally how it works, when playing passive, gathering loot increases a loot grade bar, that loot grade bar doesnt increase the rep directly, it simply multiplies how much rep you get when you win.

As for what is incentivized, i absolutely disagree, the game is still just as pvpve with this, its simply an option to incentivize people to actually play the pvp aspect of the game. So how do you incentivize carrying loot for pvp? Well, you defend it, otherwise i could see people stacking loot on a row boat, starting the match making and then docking the row boat to get the rep, then cashing out immediately to avoid all risk. I would rather not have a mechanic that makes a pvp system, in an update that was expressed to be about pvp for months, possible through only pve if some one is sneaky.

Stacking loot on a rowboat... lol thats your argument?
    Thats an easy one to solve. If people are tapping loot and putting it on the rowboat, then that can easily be flagged and once an hourglass goes on a ship, the loot stacked will already be counted and won't add to the hourglass...
    So essentially, they have to PvE to get the hourglass up..

And the PvE suggestion here isn't so people 'can stack' or only do PvE... once they are flagged as Passive then they can be invaded at anytime and must PVP once a battle starts..
    Its to add more incentive for players to actually PvEvP...
    But again your brain is too focused on the PVP of this mode. And you're not seeing the bigger picture.

• Just a random thought but couldn't someone just play PvE like normal and get a bunch of loot on their ship, then when they have a lot of loot raise the hour glass to raise their grade instantly without having the risk of invaders before they are ready to fight? I'm curious if you can actually turn in your hour glass with a bunch of loot on your ship to get increased allegiance rep but just like save your loot until you're ready to turn it in at an outpost, raise your hour glass, lower the hour glass for allegiance and sell loot?

• @navillicious said in Passive Mode on the Hourglass is Broken. Unsurprised by another buggy update.:

Just a random thought but couldn't someone just play PvE like normal and get a bunch of loot on their ship, then when they have a lot of loot raise the hour glass to raise their grade instantly without having the risk of invaders before they are ready to fight? I'm curious if you can actually turn in your hour glass with a bunch of loot on your ship to get increased allegiance rep but just like save your loot until you're ready to turn it in at an outpost, raise your hour glass, lower the hour glass for allegiance and sell loot?

As far as I know.

Hourglass accumulates when you get loot on board your ship.
    You dont get any rewards for having the loot. Only if you get attacked with the hourglass levelled up/loot-on-board.

That's it.

1. I collected Loot.

FALSE.

Stacking loot on a rowboat... lol thats your argument?
    Thats an easy one to solve. If people are tapping loot and putting it on the rowboat, then that can easily be flagged and once an hourglass goes on a ship, the loot stacked will already be counted and won't add to the hourglass...
    So essentially, they have to PvE to get the hourglass up..

And the PvE suggestion here isn't so people 'can stack' or only do PvE... once they are flagged as Passive then they can be invaded at anytime and must PVP once a battle starts..
    Its to add more incentive for players to actually PvEvP...
    But again your brain is too focused on the PVP of this mode. And you're not seeing the bigger picture.

I still disagree, the whole mechanic is an all or nothing system, if you dont get an opponent, there wasnt much risk for your loot, but the way it is now, you NEED to put everything you have on the line, and cant cash out until you have at least had 1 fight, and every fight you go for, puts even more on the line for even greater rewards.

Im not focused on ONLY the pvp, yesterday i spent my entire time defending and doing voyages while people came to attack me.

Having something that only grants rep from pvp, but drastically boosts rep from pve still falls under pvpve, just because it requires fighting, doesnt mean there is no pve to it.

• @lord-spark-0 I was under the impression if you turned in your hour glass with loot on your ship depending on the grade of loot you get rep, but I haven't tried it myself so I couldn't say, would be cool to have a Rare dev chime in to clarify exactly what does and doesn't give allegiance and put the conversation to rest.

Views
1 out of 65