Please consider implementing the ability to set minimum age limit for open crew shipsk or filter young players into servers with similar age group

• Hello Rare,

The player base in this game is incredibly diverse and the diversity is what leads to the incredible interactions and in game moments we will treasure forever. However, as of late my crew has been faced with the dilemna of having a young child join us in open crew. While we are never demeaning and go out of our way to ensure communication is appropriate from a content and encouragement perspective, we still arrive in the same situation. The child does not know how or is capable of playing the game at a level anywhere near what is needed for the game to be semi-enjoyable for anyone in the crew. When we kindly suggest that the child may have a better time if they join another crew with similar interests we have been met with stubborness, vulgar language, and a test of patience that at times spans 30minutes - 1 hour.

They don't deserve to be brigged or have a bad encounter but we also don't deserve the responsibility of baby sitting a child that even with helpful instruction is not capable of playing the game in the manner it is meant to be played. With that in mind, we ask that you please consider a means of separation whether it be setting a minimum age to join the crew or effectively filtering younger age groups into servers with players their age, a solution is needed to preserve the game we love.

Thank you for considering this initiative!

Cheers,
    TTF

Views
    feedbackgeneralcommunityeventscompetition
  • Well... This won't change anything as... They will bypass the age system.

Also seperating kids from normal servers split the player base even further... if it would work that is.

• Hy, would you mind to explain how something like this would be implemented and it would actually work?

Right now, you have an option, not to play open crew. Just like you leave your house locked so only people you want can come through the front door.
    Removing such door and putting up a sign: Friends and Family only will not work. Something similar in this game.

Besides Rare, want to make this a family friendly game. Therefore we have no blood and other things to pass age ratings. If this game was 18+, you could decapitate your enemies or feed them to the sharks.

If I may suggest, go to Discord Sea of Thieves group, find an empty galleon channel and wait until someone you like joins it. You will have to wait maybe 10-15 minutes longer than usual, but it will be worth it.

• Unfortunately, although game ratings exist, most parents these days do not monitor their children's usage or exposure past keeping them away from the Mature/Adult rated games. A lot of these kids probably have Game Pass for their Xbox or PC and are trying out games without parental knowledge, especially since so much can be played on the cloud now without ever downloading it.

Sea of Thieves is officially a rated T for Teen game in North America, PEGI 12 in the UK, and PG in Australia. All of those ratings state that it may not be suitable for children. Parental guidance is required. So you are unfortunately running into people the game wasn't meant for and you are looking for a way to avoid that. The best way is honestly going to be avoiding open crew on the game itself and using LFGs and discord servers to find like minded individuals.

• Open crew is to fill spots not preferences

I played a lot of open crew, if the crew wasn't for me I left. It's that simple, it was never my my boat or my treasure even if I was the one that started the session, even if I gathered treasure and supplies.

They always had the same amount of claim as I did no matter the circumstances, it was on me to stay or go depending on if I wanted to be there or not. Open crew is for everyone.

• Done ageist! 😒

• As the code says.

Regardless of age….we are all equal

• @koofehttahw This is what closed crew is for.

• Double edged sword:

Now creepy people can target kids easier.

• In a perfect world we would be able to have this. I think it was Korea or something where in order to play online people need to register their social security numbers so their age is a known fact they cant lie about and if they get banned its a ban on their person not their account... So yea... If thats the kind of world we all want to live in then I guess something like this is possible... Sadly its either get used to playing solo... Never open crew. Maybe join a discord but if you sign up for random crews youre going to get random aged people. I used to hop around open crews just to see what other people were up to and maybe help people out. But that got old in year 1. Got tired of randomly being thrown in the bright the second I joined because the people didn't mean to open crew or whatever. Honestly surprised at this point in time they still kept the open crew option

• @koofehttahw as much as I would rather have older people (being an older person myself) it can be very frustrating if a young kid can't or won't play as a active crew member. The problems with age registration is most will go around it by using parents loggins or just plain lying.

Saying that, most kids outplay me on SoT alot.

My main gripe is I tend to swear and shout at my crew either blasting orders from my perch at the helm during battles and I wouldn't want to scare or upset kids who may not like that sort of thing

Views
feedbackgeneralcommunityeventscompetition
1 out of 12