Game keeps crashing

• Hi,

My game still crashes after trying many fixes, but none of them work (whitelisting in antivirus, verifying files, reinstalling).
    Sometimes I get video driver error (drivers are up to date) or I get crash report or game just closes without any report.
    Powershell whitelisting doesn't work for me for unknown reason.

Greetings

Views
  • Have you tried disabling antivirus ?

• @ildigifch yeah, I tried.

• Getting the exact same issue now. Was fine last week, then suddenly its a mixture of crash to desktop or very occasionally a gfx card error, which by all accounts is more application related anyway.

I'm not aware of anything changing on my system to cause this either which is bizarre....

• No idea dude, but any chance it has something to do with the temperature? But that would probably cause the whole pc to shut down or restart

• Hi mate,

Played SoT a while back on an older rig and decided to check the new updates: while I can log in and play for a few minutes at best (sometimes only a few seconds), the game will just keep crashing like you're experiencing. I've tried every possible solution except reinstalling Windows (11), which I am not going to do for only one game. So far, reinstalling the GPU drivers, verifying the game files, either through Steam or the built-in feature, and various other attemps have not stopped the crashes.

I've been getting random and contradictory error messages: from a GPU error to a Visual C++ one, and even missing files (even though 30 seconds before Steam and SoT assured me none were missing!).

My setup (just to be sure, I reset all my overclocks, everything is running at stock speeds and very far from overheating):
    i7 12700K
    RTX 3090
    32 GB DDR5 RAM (4800 MHz)
    Game is installed on a secondary M.2 SSD, fresh install from a week ago

Hopefully we can find what's wrong together!

• I've been getting my entire system shut down because of this game, it's like there is a memory leak or something. It has actually botched up my GPU drivers so badly that it caused them to needing to reinstall the drivers and software for them from the ground up.

This affects team green and team red. My card is an RX Radeon 5700 XT... there is no reason this game should be choking my video card.

The processor is a AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor
    I got 128GB of 3200Mhz ram
    A 4TB M2 card specifically for games. Its based read/write is 5k.
    I am not running anything, but this game crashes my computer and video card worse than a junker in a Demolition Derby.

• Here's an update: Windows 11 received the 22H2 service pack which I installed today. Surprisingly, I was then able to play SoT for about 2 hours without any issue and on the highest graphic quality. I completed a Siren shrine solo, sailed a bit and sold my loot without the game crashing on me: I was really happy that the issue was solved!

Sadly, it didn't last: this evening I tried launching the game again, played for about 20 minutes and it crashed again while out at sea. I was not able to get the game working again after that: the main menu and the loading screens are the furthest I can go since it will crash instantly upon loading the world.

It's the only game that has ever crashed this way on my rig, and it's not even the most taxing. I have tried just about everything just like you guys, I'm honestly at a loss as to what is going on.

• @jashin23 Are you having an audio driver conflict with your GPU driver? The most common error on AMD architecture is:

realtek driver : ad_8443_UAD_WHQL_Nahimic_1060_2018_0511_110148_6.0.1.8443_0xb3961888

• I'm on Intel, but that's something I've been investigating after a series of audio-related issues in other programs. Nahimic is one of the most horrendous software I've had to deal with...I've reinstalled everything on this side as well, and will try to test SoT again later today!

• Update to my update (sorry, can't edit the previous message now): after uninstalling and reinstalling my audio drivers (Mobo is an Asus Z690 F with Realtek audio chips), I was able to play SoT this afternoon without any issues. I'm not sure that the absence of crash is directly related to my tinkering with the drivers, but it could be a hint.

I'll try to test it some more, see if the game launches again and doesn't crash: so far, I was never able to have a normal play session twice in a row without it crashing. Here's hoping!

Views
2 out of 11