Improve meg spawns

• Going to keep the post simple, but also provide backstory. Meg spawns are completely awful and they need to be fixed.

I set out with one major goal in this game: Complete all commendations, something I've worked steadily toward until the start of Captaincy. I currently have 1 (2) commendations left in the game to complete, I state it that way because there is no chance that I will ever find 5 Shrouded Ghosts. My one remaining commendations is to kill 50 Ancient Terrors, of which I am sitting at 42. Since the introduction of Captaincy I had until recently been going through a medical situation where I was either bed or chair bound... so I have played a LOT of Sea of Thieves. I have killed the following number of megs:

alt text

So I feel pretty confident between my personal experience and that of someone that has significantly higher numbers than me (looking at you, WolfManBush) that your personal meg spawn is affected by the following circumstances:

• Must be in deep/open waters. Kind of the obvious starter one, but these locations have become less available with the additions of Shrines and Sea Forts; this killed a large amount of meg spawns
    • Must be on your server for at least an hour. You may run into another crews meg before that time, but you will not spawn one of your own before then.
    • Once you've killed your meg, it will be another hour+ for one to spawn

Shared observations regarding what resets that timer:

• If your ship sinks
    • If you merge (whether via portal hopping, the black merge screen or what players refer to as a 'silent' merge; which you can easily identify via a change in world events on your server without them going down)

Additional observations:

• Your boat does not need to be moving to spawn a meg. You can fish, sit, sleep or play music on your boat if you care about those milestones
    • (Low Sample Size) If you spawn a meg with another boat in the area, once you kill it and wait; a second one is likely to spawn (one for each boat). I haven't tested this extensively, but this has occurred 4/4 times where I was either fighting or speaking to another ship.

Myths I'd like to dispel:

• The meg does not care about how little or much loot you have aboard.
    • There are no set of actions in game that you can perform to summon a meg, no shanty, no fishing, no yelling out into the void in the hopes that it yells back
    • There is no specific area in the map where a meg is more likely to spawn, you just have to fit the above criteria of being in deep water after a specific time on server.
    • Entering/Leaving the Shores of Gold does NOT increase your meg chances of spawning. Any 'evidence' that people provide is an account of having spent over an hour doing the tall tale itself and a great amount of testing from several community members has disproven this.

At this point my singular goal of killing 7 more Ancient Terrors just isn't enough to keep me playing. It feels incredibly bad when the servers are so dead that you merge just before your meg timer is up. I'm posting this on my second day of this occurring multiple times, resulting in 1 meg spawned in 4-6 hours of gameplay on both days.

Wolf, since I know you're likely going to see this; feel free to jump in and correct any of my above points; I definitely concede to you in being the more knowledgeable person regarding this topic.

Views
    feedback
  • @im-ltr said in Improve meg spawns:

Wolf, since I know you're likely going to see this; feel free to jump in and correct any of my above points; I definitely concede to you in being the more knowledgeable person regarding this topic.

Looks like you are quite knowledgeable on the topic

looks good to me

Makes me happy to see someone so passionate and dedicated to something near and dear to my pirate heart, this one is all you.

• I set out with one major goal in this game: Complete all commendations

Life time goal, look forward to you finishing it. Go on.

I currently have 1 (2) commendations left in the game to complete, I state it that way because there is no chance that I will ever find 5 Shrouded Ghosts.

Yup like most of us...

I have killed the following number of megs:

Checks out image Very cool.

Must be in deep/open waters.

There are far few yes, but still a large bit of open water. Some will even spawn between two islands with only 3 squares apart.

Must be on your server for at least an hour.

Or like me...one catches you right off the Port xD

Once you've killed your meg, it will be another hour+ for one to spawn

Hour ingame (real time) isn't much. You can do a lot before you realized...Omg it been 6 hours!

The meg does not care about how little or much loot you have aboard.

I think the reason this myth started was many players would start, 0 loot. Go and collect a legendary chest and Athena loot, twice within "that hour" and boom Meg. Without realizing how long they been actually playing xD

There are no set of actions in game that you can perform to summon a meg, no shanty, no fishing, no yelling out into the void in the hopes that it yells back

Tell that to one crew mate of mine...I swear when they say "It be bad if a Meg shows up about now" One always spawns xD

There is no specific area in the map where a meg is more likely to spawn, you just have to fit the above criteria

Better chances are the areas of the map with open water :/

It feels incredibly bad when the servers are so dead that you merge just before your meg timer is up.

Im still doubting this. I want a Dev to confirm it.

and how often do you merge? What time of day/ day of the week? I can't recall the last time Ive seen a merge and Ive played a full 12 hours sometimes. (random days off)

• @burnbacon

That depends entirely on your region.

I play US West servers anywhere from 4pm to 12am, depending on the day. When I was on medical leave (up until last week) I was playing 10-12 hour days because I literally could only sit in a chair or lay down in bed. Now I would say my average session is between 4-6 hours. Both today and yesterday alone I have merged 3 times per session, yesterday after playing for 4 hours I ended up with a single meg. Today I have been online since 4:30pm (nearly 4 hours) and have also spawned only a single meg. There are days where I can play where I do not merge at all, but it feels incredibly bad when you've played for that many hours with a primary goal in mind and have made no progress toward it.

I'm not basing any of this off of feeling or circumstance, and while yes a Dev confirming/denying that behavior would be amazing; I'm not holding my breath. I'm basing all of this off of data and observation: YOU do not spawn a meg immediately after leaving port, you aggro another crews meg. I don't know specifically at what point the meg spawn timers changed so dramatically, but they are in dire need of review.

• Aye! It was improved in Season 7 but it still hasn’t been back to what it was before the Shrouded Deep. Same can be said for Skelly ships spawning on the boat.

• Fun fact, I speed ran the 5 Shores of Gold quests today taking about an hour each, and after the quest was finished, and I departed the Shores of Gold... EACH TIME a meg spawned and chased me all the way to Galleon's Grave Outpost. So I guess if you want to create a meg you could just farm Shores of Gold, the most fun thing in the world sarcasm. Man am I glad I never have to go back to that island...or get chased back into town by a meg each time.

• @im-ltr
    You can avoid the merge by sailing in a circle.

• @sarjentstupid said in Improve meg spawns:

Fun fact, I speed ran the 5 Shores of Gold quests today taking about an hour each, and after the quest was finished, and I departed the Shores of Gold... EACH TIME a meg spawned and chased me all the way to Galleon's Grave Outpost. So I guess if you want to create a meg you could just farm Shores of Gold, the most fun thing in the world sarcasm. Man am I glad I never have to go back to that island...or get chased back into town by a meg each time.

You spawned one because you spent over an hour doing the tall tale, so when you returned from the area you passed through deep water and a meg spawned. You didn't spawn one because the area inherently spawns more megs. To prove this, you can log into a new server and speed run over to the area and then leave it; you will not spawn a meg. This was one of the first things I tested in great abundance because it's one of the most widespread pieces of misinformation regarding megs.

• Am I the only one who wants to drag the Meg behind my ship? Just to show other ships, “Oi, look what I just caught” Maybe sell to the Hunter’s Call?

• alt text

13 days since my last post, the meg spawns seem worse; I'm averaging one spawn every 1.5-2 hours instead of around the 1hr 15 minute mark. I need 3 more Ancient Terrors until I'm done, but I'm pretty sure I'm losing my mind hunting these things.

alt text

13 days since my last post, the meg spawns seem worse; I'm averaging one spawn every 1.5-2 hours instead of around the 1hr 15 minute mark. I need 3 more Ancient Terrors until I'm done, but I'm pretty sure I'm losing my mind hunting these things.

You're doing incredible tho

those are big numbers considering the hunt

it's awesome how much effort and dedication you have put in so far

you moving on to something else after you hit your goal?

• Remember when meg music was still scary? Bring that back lol.

I agree. Megs have likely been hunted to near endangered status. Maybe Rare could work on a breeding program lol.

TL/DR: More megs. Make them vicious too!

• @im-ltr

Wow, Good stats! nice work.. good info for Shrouded Meg Hunting

I believe the Meg firework will spawn a Meg if all the criteria you listed above is met.
    The number of times ive lit one only to be meg'd right after is far too many to be coincidence.

and..
    i kinda feel like the Shores of gold Meg is a thing too..
    Ive been going to the SOG alot lately and i seem to get Meg'd alot about 1 square away from entering the red.
    Not always.. but again.. maybe if your criteria is met.. in the right situation, it does spawn. i dunno.

seems like they both happen alot to me for it just to be coincidence.
    but you definently seem to know your stuff..

• @li-jratt-li said in Improve meg spawns:

@im-ltr
    I believe the Meg firework will spawn a Meg if all the criteria you listed above is met.
    The number of times ive lit one only to be meg'd right after is far too many to be coincidence.
    and..
    i kinda feel like the Shores of gold Meg is a thing too..
    Ive been going to the SOG alot lately and i seem to get Meg'd alot about 1 square away from entering the red.

Neither of those things will cause a meg to spawn on their own: The firework thing is pure coincidence (but certainly worth further testing) and the Shores of Gold spawn occurs because the area leading up to entering it is considered deep/open water, so as long as you've fit the criteria of having been on the server for at least an hour, you would spawn your meg in any open water area including the area around the entry to the Shores of Gold. I've tested loading in to a fresh server 100 times, going to the shores of gold and touching ground, getting back on my boat and leaving the shores of gold. Out of my 100 attempts, I spawned 0 megs.

I want to dispel rumors when it comes to this mechanic, because there's a lot amount of misinformation floating around out there.

• @wolfmanbush said in Improve meg spawns:

Likely my plan will be to take a break until the next season. I don't have a huge interest in Milestones: fishing up 1,000 of each type of fish is a fools errand, I can't imagine farming 100 Ancient Terrors when even getting the 11 I've achieved so far has taken so much time. I may just meet new pirates and teach them the game, that's usually what I'm doing if I'm not meg hunting or PvP'ing.

• @im-ltr
    i havnt done the research you have.. or at all..
    But ive probably have about a 50% spawn rate when headed to the SOG.. (via checkpoint) not from.
    Its besides the point.. but ive had skeleton galleons spawn on my sloop when headed in aswell.. (only 2x tho)

It almost seems like they increase the spawn of either when headed that way..
    i thought it might have been to detour people from running there for protection from Reapers..
    Not that ive done that :/

@wolfmanbush said in Improve meg spawns:

Likely my plan will be to take a break until the next season. I don't have a huge interest in Milestones: fishing up 1,000 of each type of fish is a fools errand, I can't imagine farming 100 Ancient Terrors when even getting the 11 I've achieved so far has taken so much time. I may just meet new pirates and teach them the game, that's usually what I'm doing if I'm not meg hunting or PvP'ing.

You're a helluva meg hunter, nothing to prove as you've already shown what you're capable of on the hunt

Your experience will undoubtedly be a valuable resource to share with the pirates you meet along the way.

• You are wondering why Meg spawns are completely awful? I’ll tell you why.
    You’ve been killing all the megaladons
    IN FACT
    IT WOULD BE MORE REALISTIC TO DECREASE THE SPAWN RATE OF MEGALADONS! HONESTLY! YOU HUNTERS DISGUST ME! WONDERING WHY NO MEGALADONS ARE SPAWNING, WHILE YOU KILL EVERYTHING IN SIGHT! YOU’RE LUCKY THAT THEY AREN’T EXTINCT YET! SOME OF THE MEGALADONS YOU KILLED WERE PROBABLY INNOCENT! JUST SWIMMING AROUND WHILE YOU JERKS SHOOT AT THEM FOR NO REASON! SOME OF THEM HAD A FAMILY!!!!
    And yet…hunters get their own outfit. Hunters get their own ship cosmetics. Hunters get their name in a trading company, while the fishers and the cooks are roped in with these cruel, cruel beasts…
    Edit:I am now 4.2% less disgusted by hunters. Don’t ask why. Still don’t like them though.

• Did you end up getting the megs you wanted?

I'm invested in your success story here.

• @wolfmanbush said in Improve meg spawns:

Did you end up getting the megs you wanted?

I took a couple of days off, but in the last 9 days I have seen 0 Ancient Terrors. I've only killed 23 megs since then though, but the ratio feels pretty bad.

alt text

Spawn times still seem pretty clockwork: I can get a spawn usually every 1hr 15mins, with the latest average time I need to wait being 1hr 30 mins. I've had a couple of outliers where the spawn time was closer to 1hr 45-2hrs, but that was two instances and doesn't really affect the average of the whole dataset of over 180 meg kills since the season launch.

@wolfmanbush said in Improve meg spawns:

Did you end up getting the megs you wanted?

I took a couple of days off, but in the last 9 days I have seen 0 Ancient Terrors. I've only killed 23 megs since then though, but the ratio feels pretty bad.

alt text

Spawn times still seem pretty clockwork: I can get a spawn usually every 1hr 15mins, with the latest average time I need to wait being 1hr 30 mins. I've had a couple of outliers where the spawn time was closer to 1hr 45-2hrs, but that was two instances and doesn't really affect the average of the whole dataset of over 180 meg kills since the season launch.

Incredible hunting you've done here

super awesome to see, hopefully you get a few lucky ancient terror spawns back to back

• @wolfmanbush

I'm certainly hoping so. I've been watching your progress as well, it's incredibly impressive. Do you have an existing goal in mind or are you just living it out on the seas and hunting whatever you find?

@wolfmanbush

I'm certainly hoping so. I've been watching your progress as well, it's incredibly impressive. Do you have an existing goal in mind or are you just living it out on the seas and hunting whatever you find?

I study the environment a lot, curious about where the game is headed so I'm kinda chilling and hunting to see what happens.

I never set out to go as extreme as I do but I don't like stealing much and I don't like fighting/sinking anyone that doesn't wanna fight so I just created my own world that I live in.

I tend to push myself more and more as I compete with myself so I dunno how far I'll take it.

I really like looking for patterns and weeding them out from coincidences so I can battle rng.

• alt text

Two more ancient terrors in the last few days, now just a final one remaining. 31 total meg kills in the last 4 days.

• Fair play, you've clearly put a lot of effort into this. Makes me sad to see how many people have started reading your post and disputed it clearly without actually finishing reading it. Like yes when I first saw your shores of gold point I thought I've had them consistent, but finishing reading you're right and sitting at any island for long periods then heading to open water has spawned megs. I admire your persistence to reply to every person saying the same thing.

I did have one point a few updates ago where I only ever encountered megs (including my one shrouded ghost) South of sea dogs arena but if it was a thing it was temporary and I now get them all over. Wonder if it was an intentional thing, a bug post shrouded deep or just coincidence.

• @hiradc said in Improve meg spawns:

Fair play, you've clearly put a lot of effort into this. Makes me sad to see how many people have started reading your post and disputed it clearly without actually finishing reading it. Like yes when I first saw your shores of gold point I thought I've had them consistent, but finishing reading you're right and sitting at any island for long periods then heading to open water has spawned megs. I admire your persistence to reply to every person saying the same thing.

I did have one point a few updates ago where I only ever encountered megs (including my one shrouded ghost) South of sea dogs arena but if it was a thing it was temporary and I now get them all over. Wonder if it was an intentional thing, a bug post shrouded deep or just coincidence.

It's likely rng mixed with coincidence

but results are results so if you think you're on to something follow the results and see how long they last

For me in my hunt, every day, every update, every change, I am constantly sorting through patterns and coincidences. Things are often changing, every time they patch/update/change anything it can possibly effect the hunt.

• @wolfmanbush they stopped after a patch

• @hiradc said in Improve meg spawns:

Fair play, you've clearly put a lot of effort into this. Makes me sad to see how many people have started reading your post and disputed it clearly without actually finishing reading it. Like yes when I first saw your shores of gold point I thought I've had them consistent, but finishing reading you're right and sitting at any island for long periods then heading to open water has spawned megs. I admire your persistence to reply to every person saying the same thing.

I appreciate it! I think it's really important for those that come after me to be able to have a resource which is backed by data instead of circumstance. You can google information about meg spawns in SoT and you'll be pointed toward topics on these forums and on reddit where you'll see all sorts of claims about how megs spawn, what causes it and the variation of megs simply based on a specific persons single encounter. I know at some point my data will become outdated when I eventually stop doing this an time passes, because as WolfManbush said, each patch changes things a bit: spawn times and spawn locations being the biggest two factors. I recall before the introduction of Sea Forts and Shrines/Treasuries that I'd encounter megs with more frequency and back when my play sessions were shorter, I would run into more megs than I do in my current longer sessions.

My biggest regret is not stopping to kill Ancient Terrors when I was chasing Reaper runners, I have probably passed up 5-10 during those times before I was more hardset on my goal

My biggest regret is not stopping to kill Ancient Terrors when I was chasing Reaper runners, I have probably passed up 5-10 during those times before I was more hardset on my goal

Once in a while if an opportunity arises I'll work with this for a double bag (2 megs in a short amount of time)

If a tdm crew heavy on boarding attempts but without the naval wants to chase me around I'll use it to set up a scenario to take out their meg and mine.

The risk is I could lose 1 or both if it doesn't work out in my favor

Sometimes I'll use nearby pvers to build up the meg spawn chances, if it looks like they are unaware or don't care, I don't do it if it's clearly making them nervous.

All the activity I get while doing fleets I am using to increase my meg chances in a shorter amount of time.

Always observing the server and factoring everything in, implementing strategy to try to give myself an edge, sometimes it pays off.

Pvp can always cost a meg as well so it's a constant gamble. Risk/reward which is why I am so drawn to it.

I would take out skelly ships when possible too, it seems to consistently keeps things moving along for pve spawns but that could be more of a preference and a long running coincidence.

• I've killed over 50 of each and 1 shrouded ghost. But oh yes captaincy ignored all that (other than the shrouded ghost thankfully).

I will admit I had started ignoring megs once I got my commendations so unless it was a shrouded I rarely bothered to kill them. So yes well played captaincy has now refreshed the entire game, now we have to refarm everything all over again... No thanks.

Summoning a meg was always part of an event, when first introduced it was playing music in a certain square of the ocean. From what I've heard its a minimum hour wait between potential meg spawns (per ship).

no PvE cares about loot on your ship. I think the old rumor is tied to the old one of the krakens grabbing ships with lots of treasure was because kraken is a world event. kraken cant spawn if a fort is up (excluding fort of the damned as that's a unique fort not on a timer like the other events). So you would clear a fort, load up all the loot.. in most cases another ship would be coming in to rob you and now you have 2 ships in open water in close proximity so chances of kraken grabbing one of you is high.

I have gotten a meg spawn about 30ish times now coming back from the shores of gold. This is not a lie, or an exaggeration. Also doesn't exactly have anything to do with the shores of gold itself. No PvE can spawn in the red sea. PvE events are qued up on your ship. So the server will be like... Ok spawn a meg on this ship next time its in open water... So once you leave the red sea coming back from shores of gold you get a meg spawn.

I can confirm when it is "meg time" it will que up a meg on each ship in the area. So if you are sailing around as a group of 5 ships a new meg will spawn for another ship before the first ship even has time to fully loot the first kill. I have over 100 hours of experience seeing it function like this when in a commendation farming group.

Sadly I had it mixed up when they first added commendations I thought Shadowmaw was more rare than ancient terror so I would skip the yellows. As much as balancing the spawns would be nice that would also mean more shrouded ghosts... And they seem to really like how rare it is right now. I would just keep the ancient terror as a long term goal that might be completed in years... Or if you really want... Join an discord that does meg hunting but those can be tedious and to prevent them from devolving into chaos they tend to make rules that sap all the fun out of even being in the game. Its 100% all about the megs nothing else.

I have also noticed skeleton ships don't spawn when the fleet cloud is up. I imagine to save on server lag due to that event needing to spawn multiple ships... So its possible megs are also turned off during the fleet event.

• I am curious though with all the info you have gathered and maybe others... Is the meg spawn timer saved server side or on your ship itself? IE if you kill a meg then merge is it possible to get another before the 1 hour timer. Because then you could have a somewhat stocked ship and try to get more frequent spawns. But honestly doing an alliance meg hunt is the best way if you're just trying to get numbers. Tedious though, but that is my nickname for this game. Sea of Tedious.

• @magus104 said in Improve meg spawns:

I am curious though with all the info you have gathered and maybe others... Is the meg spawn timer saved server side or on your ship itself? IE if you kill a meg then merge is it possible to get another before the 1 hour timer. Because then you could have a somewhat stocked ship and try to get more frequent spawns. But honestly doing an alliance meg hunt is the best way if you're just trying to get numbers. Tedious though, but that is my nickname for this game. Sea of Tedious.

If a person has time there is nothing to lose by sticking on the merge'd server as that can only have a positive outcome, at worst it's the same as getting a new server

When it comes to sinks and server merges I've never had a quick meg from either, might get one around the 30-45 minute mark but never sooner

I attribute this to pve nerfing because back in the day a person might see a meg after sinking and taking off from the island of re-spawn

• @wolfmanbush Yea, since I tend to kill them more now I haven't noticed as much if they changed the despawning too. Back in the day I used to have them chase me to islands and i would be able to stop dig up an X real quick and sail back in the direction of the meg and have him come back at me.

Had one a while back where I was just server hopping for reaper chests, one spawned right as I was about to reach reapers so I stopped to sell the chest and figured I could kill it on the way back out but it just fully despawned.

• alt text

Done! I've completed all (realistic) commendations in the game, for now.

alt text
    alt text
    alt text

I say realistic because the last remaining commendation is 5/5 Shrouded Ghosts and completing that just isn't going to happen. I'll probably either take a break until next Season, or chip away periodically at some Milestones that interest me and continue to log in to interact with new pirates and show them the game.

Done! I've completed all (realistic) commendations in the game, for now.
    I say realistic because the last remaining commendation is 5/5 Shrouded Ghosts and completing that just isn't going to happen. I'll probably either take a break until next Season, or chip away periodically at some Milestones that interest me and continue to log in to interact with new pirates and show them the game.

Incredible

Your meg hunt was as impressive as it gets. Congrats on everything and I hope you enjoy your next approach.

Views
feedback
1 out of 35