So Captaincy is Sea Of Thieves 2

• I guess the mentality we are supposed to go with is Season6 was the end of an era. Sea of Thieves ended with Season6 and Sea of Thieves 2 was released. This way we can be like of course the achievements/commendations/time spent didnt carry over. People only grinded thousands of hours because they just love the endless grind. So they would love being able to do it all over again.

I think its a fundamental problem of designers not understanding the numbers and player mindsets. Completionist like to COMPLETE. So when we check off boxes and come close to 100%ing having them be like oh well not only did we make it an endless grind with no 100% we also invalidated all your previous 100%s

Its like in other games I have played the developers keep making more of the same content because "its got high player engagement. everyone is doing it so they must love it" no its because you made it mandatory by locking power gains or progression behind doing these daily/weekly/monthly tasks so if players stop doing them then they feel like they are falling behind. Thats not fun gameplay. One of the main dudes behind path of exile talked about how bad Data collection can be, especially in games. One of his designers brought up ideas to rework a quest because they noticed after this 1 quest theres a "big drop off" of players between this 1 quest and the next. So the person compiling the data assumed the problem was with the quest rather than the fact that the whole act was poorly designed and there was like 2+ hours between that 1 quest and the next quest. So you can look at part of the data and draw the wrong conclusions instead of looking at the data as a whole.

Views
1 out of 1