Gambling and Card Games

• A cool idea for passing the time during a long journey would be a card table inside of a ship. Every ship has room for one, say behind the map table.

Players could gamble with doubloons and/or gold, with limits in place so people cant just donate too much gold to new players who haven’t earned it. Perhaps the players need to have similar amounts of gold to gamble, etc.

Theres a variety of card games that could go into it, but I think you get the picture.

Add a guide or 2 on how to play the games and bam the game has a functioning economy.

Views
    communityjust for funcompetition
  • @alien768514 would be better in sea dog tavern where you could meet and play with others…on a ship wont work

• A cool idea for passing the time during a long journey would be a card table inside of a ship. Every ship has room for one, say behind the map table.

Pass the time while sailing? So while your busy playing games below deck, your ship is easily approach by enemy ships.

Also. Sloop map table? Not really enough room

• @burnbacon yea like 2 people below deck and 2 people above or 1 person above, whatever or like 1 person goes off to do the quest on an island while the other 3 play on the ship. And youre right about the sloop but maybe get rid of a few useless barrels in the front of the bottom deck of a sloop and theirs more room. Since a sloop not gonna be playing with more than 2 people the table doesn't have to be big.

• @alien768514

yea like 2 people below deck and 2 people above or 1 person above, whatever or like 1 person goes off to do the quest on an island while the other 3 play on the ship.

That sounds very inefficient.

Just like your other post, it's a really cool idea in my opinion, but the implementation just won't work in the game. If we ever see anything like a Tortuga, some sort of card game would be expected, but gambling would probably require a new look at the ESRB rating, which everyone wants to avoid. I would really like to see gambling card games though, in one way or another. But with the ESRB and the potential of people on the internet to sell gold/doubloons if those were the currency, I don't think gambling would ever come to the sea.

For games you can do in adventure, I like to use the 20 die often to decide things. "Okay, everyone roll your dice, the highest number gets the pineapple."

• @grumpyw01f I still think the only real argument against this is the esrb rating. Aside from that there are tons of scenarios where having the card table on the ship would be cool. And not every crew is out there for efficiency, some are just trying to have fun and plus, it doesn’t have to interfere with the rest of the game.

And yea Ill admit the more I thought about it the more I thought being able to brig other crews would bring more harm than good. Dumb idea.

This one isnt

• @alien768514 i would love to have gambling card games to put my gold too... especially whilst sailing with ship mates

• @grumpyw01f said in Gambling and Card Games:

a new look at the ESRB rating, which everyone wants to avoid. I would really like to see gambling card games though, in one way or another. But with the ESRB and the potential of people on the internet to sell gold/doubloons if those were the currency, I don't think gambling would ever come to the sea.

Don't worry though; alcohol for fun is completely fine...
    Even if we can't actually "bet" currencies, small games to do would still be nice to have, and (even though you didn't mention it I'll still say something about it) if crews can't operate at all because of a player's absence, that's their more of their own issue to sort out with the crew. I'd hope the devs would make it so you can actually get up during a game and come back to it later...

• Wondering how many crew members will prioritise a good hand above getting ready to fight in time ... or will be half drowning placing their bets ...

• @lem0n-curry the tuckers delight - recipe for some quick one blunders for sure.

• I put a request for this a long time ago personally I think it'd be nice for the game to be in taverns so your crew won't be preoccupied leaving you to do work on the ship plus it would be nice instead of just a gold cap for it to only be accessible to Pirate Legends.

• @alien768514

And not every crew is out there for efficiency

True. But if I was the one stuck doing the voyage/sailing while the other 3 are playing card games, that would get old pretty quick. It's hard enough trying to get your crew to remember to turn the sails often, or be on the anchor when needed.

And even though it's not as important to the people playing card games, as a whole, the game would have less engagement. This would make some servers seem more empty.

• As attractive as an idea or relevant to the game's atmosphere, gambling will never be part of SOT as it will risk it's initial rating.

• @gallerine5582

Don't worry though; alcohol for fun is completely fine...

I said a new look, not necessarily a raise of it. Alcohol is included in the ESRB rating, gambling is not.

Even if we can't actually "bet" currencies, small games to do would still be nice to have, and (even though you didn't mention it I'll still say something about it) if crews can't operate at all because of a player's absence, that's their more of their own issue to sort out with the crew. I'd hope the devs would make it so you can actually get up during a game and come back to it later...

I suppose it could work without problems of the ESRB. But any use of time on card games during sessions is disrespectful to the rest of the crew and a waste of time.
    Even when you're sailing to an island, there are things to do. Check that the sails are in the wind, launch off at wrecks, barrels, and islands for supplies, check the horizon for other ships, watch the seas ahead to make sure the helmsman doesn't run into anything, cook meat or fish. There's always something productive to do and card games would give crewmates a new way to be nonfunctioning.

And I don't think card games would feel right without some form of currency to gamble, but that's just my opinion.

So I say, if card games were added, it could only be in a separate social server with some currency made only for the social server.
    But that's a lot of work for such a thing. It's reasonable to never expect card games to come to Sea of Thieves unless "New Social Options for Crews" is what I just described.

• I'd love to see card games added to Sea of Thieves.

I've often thought the Pirates Legend Hideout or Sea Dogs Tavern would be a great location for it. They could even remove fighting inside those places since you can't bring treasure inside anyway.

I don't think there necessarily needs to be any exchange of currency. If players wants to gamble, it's a sandbox and there is plenty of in-game treasures players could put up as prizes.... "Arr matey! If you beat me at Blackjack I'll give ye a map to an funny blue chest!"

• Yeah, this would be totally cool in the taverns. I'd for sure leave the enforced currency exchange out; let the players decide on acceptable value of bets and just use loot. Be even cooler if you could bet your ship (or a crewmate? ;-) )...

• @grumpyw01f sea of thieves is rated teen/fegi 12 which covers gambling so the rating wouldnt change at all

• I thought about it before. I would be down for that. Also perhaps a card games like gwen from the witcher.

Views
communityjust for funcompetition
17 out of 18