My game keeps freezing when in full screen, works fine when in background.

• So I've always been a huge fan of sea of thieves, I did stop playing for a month or two and have recently reinstalled it on my PC. I am sad to say though that its nearly unplayable as randomly while sailing the seas my fps will drop from a smooth 120 or so to about 1-2. I don't know why it does this or how to fix it, but when I alt+tab out of the game it runs smooth as butter for a couple seconds, just to return to a slideshow. After a minute or two of alt+tabbing or in most cases quitting out and completely restarting the game it will go back to running as smooth as butter. I have a ryzen 5 5600x paired with a RTX 3070 ti, all my drivers are up to date, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and even some third party applications to help my games run smoother. This is the only game on my computer that has this problem and the problem doesn't go away even when I change all my graphics settings to cursed, It just doesn't work fullscreen, when its in the background it runs effortlessly, I've even monitored how my computer is doing while running and the cpu never seems to get above 50% and my gpu above 80%.

Views
  • EDIT: I need to clarify I'm not talking about the "fullscreen" mode in the game as it does the same thing while in windowed mode as well. I'm referring to when its my main screen or the item that's currently the main focus on the screen.

• fairly confident it has to deal with the new update that came out earlier today, i am having the same issue and when i looked up solutions lo and behold the only other person with the same problem is asking today, right after a new update.

• I solved it when i removed the xbox game bar with the windows powershell command.
    If this doesn't work try to turn of the nvidia instant replay.

• I turned off v-sync and it started working for a few more seconds.

• @bray-the-bug The same here, the game freezes or directly closes.

• @aukyo3851 Thank you very much. solved my problem

Views
1 out of 7