Accepting invites opens Steam (instead of MS)

• Hello everyone,

I own the game on both platforms, Microsoft and Steam. In the past I had to uninstall the Steam version to force the Microsoft one to open when accepting invites or I had to use Xbox Companion App to find my friends profile and join via the Join Game button (the button no longer shows up).

Since this update, even if I uninstall the Steam version and close Steam client, everytime I accept any invite it just launches my Steam client and a Sea of Thieves installation pops up. I don't know what else to do (except uninstalling Steam completely).

One workaround I found is that I can accept on mobile (xCloud), join their session, quit forcefully and then launch Sea of Thieves on PC and rejoin that session. But it's tedious.

Views
  • @ondrejbakan
    Have you tried opening the game-bar (windows-key + G) and try to join from there instead (replaced the x-box-companion join option) ?

Or, have your MS version of SoT open before (accepting) the invite ?

• @lem0n-curry Hello, yes, both. :( I should mention that, too. MS Sea of Thieves is running, I get an invite, Windows+G, open Game Bar, accept invite - boom, Steam launches. Windows+G, find this guy in a friendlist, click on "Join game", boom, Steam launches...

I'm afraid I will have to give up and use the Steam version in the end. :D

• @ondrejbakan
    It used to work the other way around (opening Steam version uses Steam version when I got an invite via non-steam).

Try Steam forums to see if there is a way to stop Steam version from starting or else submit a SOT support ticket.

• I'm new to the game and own it in both places. But steam tends to crash so I started playing it on Xbox App instead and this same issue keeps happening. There is nothing I can find to stop it from launching steam to play the game even when steam is closed.

• @not0rious-n8
    Have you tried to open the game via the Xbox App, start the game until you're on the Outpost, In the Game Options menu (via Esc) open Invites and there accept it ?

Plus submit a support ticket (see link in my post above yours).

• This happens to me too.. Really annoying.

• I agree, that this is a problem. I only have the game on Steam and it always opens the MS Store for me.

It probably depends on where the other player sent the invite from.

• +1 for the issue. Kinda dumb IMHO. I previously owned steam version of SOT. Im thinking it left a linking file in a folder that Xbox Gamebar is still picking up on...
    Anyone help with this issue as i only bought this game for the coop aspect. Would refund if i cannot play with friends...

• same issue here, anyone found a workaround yet?

• +1 Can't join my dad or friends while playing this. I don't even own the Steam version. I used my brother's PC through a library game share ONCE. Now, I can't play SoT without being the one who invites everyone. If this problem has been going on for months, I don't understand why Rare hasn't addressed it, yet.

• YO DEVS!!?? YOU GONNA SPEAK UP TRY OFFER SOME HELP? -_- Spent nearly £40 on a game that i can't join friends in... Name in Game and Gamebar/Xbox social are identical... If you can't fix can i get a refund as its not working as it was advertised?

• Have you guys tried submitting a support ticket ?

• Yes right here.. I have submitted a request for support... <>><><

• Due to platform limitations with having both versions of Sea of Thieves installed, we would recommend uninstalling both versions and then only reinstalling your preferred version to play. After uninstalling, please also remove any links between your version of Steam and Xbox Live accounts. To do this:

Clear Xbox Live credential from Steam

• Click the Start button from the bottom Left corner of Windows and type Credential Manager then press Enter.
    • Once viewing the Credentials Manager, click the Windows Credentials button.
    • Find Entries labelled Xbl_Ticket
    • Left click any with 1717113201 in the name and select Remove
    • Sign back in to Sea of Thieves

Once this is complete, please ensure the account which you use to play Sea of Thieves is signed into the Xbox App, Xbox Console Companion App and Game Bar.

• I have been having a similar problem as mostly everyone on this forum and mine was a broken directory with Sea of thieves I could play the game just fine and friends could join me but I could never join them the game bar would just open steam even though I owned the game in MS. I had to soft reset (factory reset) my computer and it has worked everytime since and I can join game and accept invites. Hope this helps someone else I had been fighting with Xbox, Steam, and SoT support and no one could figure it out.

• As this thread was a month old and revived today, it will now be locked.

A general reminder to all, please avoid reviving threads aged past 30 days, as it is considered a necro, and is against our Forum Rules.

Bumping Threads
    Bumping threads with content that is not providing additional information to the original post is not permitted. Resurrecting very old threads is also not permitted. A warning will be issued and the thread locked. Ignoring the warning will result in a temporary ban from the Forums and a final warning. If the action continues, a permanent ban from the Forums will be issued.

Views
1 out of 17