Huge RAM usage and FPS Drops after last update

• I've been playing this game since early 2020 and all was good about performance in game when I started. Of course I was getting FPS drops sometimes but after the last update,, it's drops like crazy. My FPS dropping to 10 in every 5-10 seconds and sometimes it freezes & broke. My settings are like everything is "cursed" or "common" but still can't playing well. I opened the Task Manager while I'm in game and RAM usage was at %90 (No extra applications on at background just SOT and Steam) ,, sometimes becomes %98 if I play with my friends with discord. I got 8 GB RAM and the recommended settings of the game says "8GB is enough". I can't believe that if someone can play with 4 GB tho. Not only that,, the loading screen got too much longer and I'm really sick of this.

My PC:
    GTX 1050 Ti
    AMD FX 6300 (not OC'ed)
    8 GB RAM

This is the screenshot of when I in game with no extra applications on,, only SOT

Views
  • @voexy4211 If you check out the post named ''Stuttering'' made by Mindaugas1991, you'll see that there is a couple of us who have this problem.

People with varying GPUs and drivers are having this problem since the 4.9GB update. So far, the only pattern I've noticed is that from the 4 people, all of us have an NVIDIA GPU of the 10s series.

• I have the same problem but my Graphics card while being Nvidia is not one of the 10s series. I believe it has something to do with RAM usage of the game that has been altered in the last patch or something. I really hope they solve this issue because I love the game and right now It's completely unplayable for me.

• @valonqarr yeah definitely,, it would be so good if they come with an optimization patch asap.

• @valonqarr Yes, it doesn't seem to be specifically bound within the 10s range. It is likely to be something else, I'm just trying to figure out what. So far, it seems very likely to just simply be a problem with the game which we cannot really affect ourselves.

• @lami-the-insane I'm also on a 10 (50) and having the issue

It's just about playable on lowest resolution and lowest render scaling.

• I'm having the same issue with my GTX 1050! I've been playing SoT for four months now with no problems but it all changed since the last update. Randomly my fps drops and ping goes up to 600, makes it impossible to play. It usually happenes during a storm, big waves or when reaching an outpost.

• 16 ram here with same graphics card and I'm having issues as well, perhaps not quite as bad as others here but noticeable performance issues.

For me, messing with quality never made much of a difference. I've tried to use cursed to give myself some performance wiggle room and it really didn't make much of a difference for me for some reason.

• @wolfmanbush Yes I feel that. I tried everything as well to see if altering anything might decrease the stuttering, even lowered all graphics settings to cursed and put my resolution to 540p and lowered the rendering scale to 50 and the stutter was all the same. The game would just stutter constantly and the ping would go higher and higher in the duration of stutter.

• @valonqarr I experienced everything you say mate,, now just hoping for a fix patch :/

• Exactly what's happening to me. I am forced to use xbox which has no issues D:

• Same problem here PLEASE FIX THIS SoT devs ASAP
    using gtx1050 ti 16gb RAM
    RAM usage goes up to 90%
    cant even play the game so laggy
    loading screens take so much time to load
    been playing SoT since 2019. This is the first time I encountered this problem
    Calling all MODERATORS TO FIX THIS PROBLEM

• @naberalgamma720 I sent a ticket about this problem but they still not responding since 3+ days idk what to do now,, just waiting...

• @voexy4211 Same case, there is another guy from the forum who has been also waiting for a response for almost 2 weeks now. I do not mind if the fix takes some time, but I sure would like to know what is going on and whether I will be able to play SoT ever again.

• @lami-the-insane In my ticket they replied with saying IF they find any problems they will make sure to fix it in a future update. Which is not a bad response at all but I cant help but worry if they will actually find a problem any time soon or at all. Honestly I was hoping when tomorrow servers go down the problem would be fixed but Now I’m not sure. I truly hope they find the problem which I think is a kind of memory leak that causes system interrupts soon.

• Same thing for me. Huge fps drops (30 to 0), particularly when loading islands. I updated my graphic card's drivers (gtx 2060) and it seems to be better but not like before the last update.

• I also want to point out that I scrolled through older posts in this section of forum and found many more people reporting to have the exact same issue and almost all of them were from 14 days ago so yeah it is definitely more than just us.

• Hey guys, this just happened to me out of the blue on April 24, im guessing the day of the update, my computer in meant for gaming and it would play the game well. Now it's just unplayable every time I'm on an island. I asked for help and they replied once with some suggestions on what to do, none of them worked and they still have not gotten back to me. I see there is an update for tomorrow, hopefully it will fix our problems.

• @fonzilla12321 Ahoy mate,, where did you see that there's an update for tomorrow ? I looked around the forum but couldn't find.

• @voexy4211 There’s a maintenance going on right now, I believe thats what he was referring to and who knows maybe after the servers are back up our issues are gone! fingers crossed

• @valonqarr That's good to hear mate! Let's see what's gonna happen after the maintance then.

• yey, they heard us :D

• @naberalgamma720 Im not sure it's meant for us but feel free to try and say if it fixed your problem.

• @voexy4211 appears to be in the known issues of today's patch notes: https://www.seaofthieves.com/release-notes/2.5.1.2

• @sshteeve Yes,, i saw that a couple minutes ago. At least now, they know the problem. Probably be fixed in few days or more.

• @voexy4211 I would definitely not rely on that, the reduced performance in known issues has been repeatedly listed there ever since the 7th of April. I have not played enough after the recent patch to say whether something has improved or not, however I have experienced all issues we have mentioned before, besides the one where the game becomes fully unplayable because of lag and ping (but that is because I have not played long enough for that to occur). If I had to bet, I would say that the problem is still present as much as it was before. If anyone has a different experience, please share.

• Has anyone logged in to see if it is fixed?

• I logged in and the problem is still there, I don't think they fixed it. At this point I'm considering buying a new Xbox or computer which sucks so muuuuuch!!!

• @fonzilla12321 Yes sadly it is not fixed. Looks like there will be no SoT for us :(

• Everything got better, but the problem remained. Before, I couldn't do anything at all, I had 1 fps and 1000 ping. Now I can play, but with difficulty. I noticed two problems. The first (which was): the ping starts to grow and the fps drops, but it lasts for 3 seconds and then everything is fine. And one more problem: the fps drops ten times in a row, I mean, for example, you are sailing on a ship and then the fps drops for a second (ping is normal), then everything is fine for a couple of seconds, but then the fps drops again and this happens 10 times But I hope they fix it. I sent a lot of log files to the support team, which were passed on to the developers and now I will communicate with the Rare CS Agent

• I am just scrolling this post and hope that they fix it and make the game playable for all of us.

Yesterday I was playing but when another crew comes closer to my ship I got the most unfair stuttering. They killed me and sunk my ship while I couldn't do anything.

Fells like its a rogue like game cuz I only have one life since everytime I get attacked the game freezes. Fall of the ship? Gone. Get closer to another ship? Gone. Took a ticket to the ferryman for any reason? Gone, since the loading screen is gonna be huge to take you first to the ferry and once again back to your ship. If you die once be sure that when you come back you will be on another island or outpost with a new ship, cause the loading time is that long.

This has to stop.

• @ixxxoloff Thank you! Let us know if you get any progress.

• I thought I was the only one having this issue. Looks like it won't be fixed any time soon? :(

• @ixxxoloff Same case for me. I was able to play for 3h today, got to do the veil voyage, Athena emissary quests, and some barnacled chest hunting. Everything was working really well, but once I visited the Athena's Fortune Hideout and came back out of it, the game just started stuttering a lot more. It was pretty bad at the end so I decided to cut it for the day, but it still did not get to the level of how bad it was before.

• @ixxxoloff how did u connect with rare agents, they have ignored all my requests!!!

Views
1 out of 96