Can we just take a look at the sloop.

• The sloop imo is the best ship at least for me, but I have played many many hours in the brig butvI find managing one crew mate easier than 2 or 3.

But let’s consider some disadvantages solo or duo players face.

1. The anchor sits right next to the ladders making it easy to drop anchor with a successful board, not the case for any other ship.

2. Single mast, one chain shot stops a sloop, follow that up with cannon balls and blunder bombs from the opposition and that’s goodnight to the sloop.

3. Speed, the sloop is the slowest ship, people will say face sails forward and sail straight into the wind, winds change and the brig can keep up pretty easily with the same tactic.

4. A single cannon per side of the ship, when considering all other advantages larger ships have giving the sloop a single cannon makes matter worse, but I am not sure a second cannon would fit appropriately so this can be chalked up as OH WELL.

My suggestions would be to move the anchor, I know it sounds weird but would it be that hard to place the anchor towards the front of the ship? This would give players at least a couple seconds longer to react to a successful boarder.

Real life sloops typically had more than one mast, maybe a small mast on the back of the sloop where the anchor once was. That can be adjusted with a pulley attached to the mast rather than the side of the boat. Up and down to raise and lower sail, left and right to angle the sail, this sail would only grant a very small speed something like a little more than swimming speed maybe.

As for speed, the second sail would provide a little more speed but nothing drastic as the maneuverability of the sloop needs to be balanced with its speed.

And for the singular cannon what can you do? There’s just no room for a second unless you were to add a rowboat cannon to each side but that would just look odd.

Views
  • Ahoy!

I think the anchor is in the right place. It would be strange at the front of the boat. I think the ladders should be moved. Perhaps they should be placed towards the middle of the sloop, at the mast?

• @chen-zom said in Can we just take a look at the sloop.:

Ahoy!

I think the anchor is in the right place. It would be strange at the front of the boat. I think the ladders should be moved. Perhaps they should be placed towards the middle of the sloop, at the mast?

But now killing people on ladders is harder.

I think the Sloop is ok with where everything is positioned. The issue lies with how easy it is to immobise and just end it. If I'm a brig and I attack a sloop, it's an absolute joke.

You just harpoon them and sail all around them spamming cannons. It's impossible for them to do anything and that's it. They sink, throw gamer words at you and then leave. Tbh it's a bit boring

So I think they could have a cannon on the front? So it's easier to attack larger vessels without ending up side on to their cannons?

Idk how to fix it really, the sloop just seems like it is naturally broken and useless for fighting a larger vessel.

Having said that, my friends in a brig have been sunk by Sloops before, so it's not impossible. But generally you can win by just overwhelming them with cannons and fire

• The anchor sits right next to the ladders making it easy to drop anchor with a successful board, not the case for any other ship.

Because it's the fastest to raise and isn't absolutely game breaking if your anchor goes down. If you have both crewmates on the anchor it goes up incredibly fast.

Single mast, one chain shot stops a sloop, follow that up with cannon balls and blunder bombs from the opposition and that’s goodnight to the sloop

That can kinda come down to how the sloop uses boarding, or their own cannons to keep enemy players of their own cannons while the other guy raises the sails and repairs them.

Speed, the sloop is the slowest ship, people will say face sails forward and sail straight into the wind, winds change and the brig can keep up pretty easily with the same tactic.

The brig is in-between, so it's gonna be keeping up with both ships quite decently. The sloop is the slowest due to it's ability to make EXTREMELY sharp turns.

A single cannon per side of the ship, when considering all other advantages larger ships have giving the sloop a single cannon makes matter worse, but I am not sure a second cannon would fit appropriately so this can be chalked up as OH WELL.

This is also due to it's extreme maneuverability. With more than one cannon (excluding the cannon rowboat due to it's RNG spawn rate and average placement on the ship to actually use in combat), being able to keep an angle on the enemy at all times while shooting with a second cannon.

Real life sloops typically had more than one mast

As per the hill I would die on, real life is not a good example for this game, otherwise over half of the content in this game wouldn't exist going by the same logic of "real life things".

• The issue with the sloop is that is it should be the weakest ship in the game. Having to coordinate with more people should result in an advantage for a larger ship.

-Moving the anchor would be interesting if the ladders stay where they are making it harder to catch so tbh I think this may be a nerf to move the anchor

-Moving the ladders will make it so hard to watch ladders, a person on your ship is bad no matter if they drop anchor or not, gotta be able to react to those.

-A sloop has the smallest turn radius so can and should always beat a brig to always being up wind to it can maintain speed advantage than also be able to get broad first on a brig or gally to hopefully get some sort of cannon line

-Second cannon would be a balance nightmare with its current size and than balancing you are doubling the firepower of the tankiest ship in the game

I would consider slightly increasing the downwind speed of the sloop by just a tad but definitely not its upwind speed that should stay the same any faster would make it incredibly tedious to fight.

• Everything is within arms reach of the wheel.

If someone boards, it the player fault not the ship.
    Sloop is man by two.

1. one watches the sails, wheel, anchor/ladder. While the second manages the mast repairs, duel cannons, repair below and harpoons.

The sloop is by far the most feared ship in the game for it quick turning speed and sailing into the wind. Good solo player can sink any given ship.

• I think making it a lot faster would be good because skilled sloopers will know with a sloop you want to use your agility to confuse and outwit larger ships, but often a larger ships firepower is too much for a loop and you end up trying to run, but larger ships (if the wind is in their favour) can easily catch you.

• Sloop is the worst ship, i never solo this game.
    Just do open crew brigs.
    Sloops are dead against a galleon, if a chainshot hits, 1 boards, you're dead by 3 cannons.
    Anchor is fine, you should be prepared for a boarder.

• @nitroxien I like the idea of increasing downwind speed. As a solo slooper I feel like the most annoying thing about it is how slow it is when it plumes.. So frustrating.

Views
8 out of 9