Fishing/reeling when to reel, does W/S ever make a difference?

• It may just be me but I have begun to suspect that quickly tapping and reeling while fighting a fish can actually bring it closer (of course by a very small margin) I have been tap reeling for like 1/2 of a second during my fights against non trophy fish as to not break the line, and it seems that it might be shortening the time my next "tired" reel by doing this, is this actually the case? Or is the effect of reeling while fighting just an illusion?

Sometimes if a fish fights right next to the spot where it is pulled out of the water, I can reel it in even when it is fighting. I am also wondering if pressing other keys besides the main opposite one while fighting does anything, for example if a fish is fighting to the left, and I hold S and D, instead of just D, does it make any difference? Also if holding either W,A,S, or D makes any difference while "tired" reeling?

I have looked online for the actual logistics if these types of reeling actually has an effect on how effectively you can fish, but I have not found anything on it. Most articles on sea of thieves fishing are just basic guides, and don't go into the full technical side of it.

Views
    question
  • I believe there is a set number of turns you need to make to reel in any fish, so any movement of the reel is "progressing" but you risk snapping the line.

• @orionsi1vers

Ummm.. I don't count clicks or vibes on fishing, but yes. Reel a little here and there when the fish is fighting. Audibly go 3-5 clicks for a regular size fish, 2 maaaaaaaybe 3 on a trophy. It's not an exact science for me, but you can sometimes make a 3 "tired phase" fish only be 2.

TL;DR: reel while fish is fighting 💪

• I play on Xbox and defiantly notice a difference. Pulling back on the rod (Pull, Release, Pull, Release) while reeling, when the fish relaxes also helps bring it in faster.

Views
question
1 out of 4