Game Crash Without Error Message

• Was playing normally on Monday evening 3/14/22 when the game crashed resulting in the following two error messages:

"AMD software detected that a driver timeout has occurred on your system."

"Video driver crashed and was reset! Make sure your video drivers are up to date."

These crashes continued to prevent me from playing the game for more than 15 minutes, occasionally crashing my entire system. I attempted the following:

• Restart Computer
    • Checked for video driver updates
    • Checked for Windows updates
    • Completely uninstalled video drivers using DDU
    • Reinstalled a newer version of my AMD drivers
    • Reinstalled an older version of my AMD drivers
    • Dusted out my entire computer and GPU
    • Removed the GPU and reinstalled it
    • Ran Dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    • Ran Sfc /scannow
    • Updated Windows and all optional features
    • Rolled back Windows updates
    • Verified integrity of game files
    • Reinstalled Sea of Thieves
    • Added the game to antivirus and firewall exceptions

At that point I believed that the issue was my graphics card, because after attempting to run another game (Just Cause 3) I experienced a similar crash. Before the crashes I could run Sea of Thieves on the RX 570 on Legendary settings without any issue. This is not the first time I have had difficulties with an AMD graphics card so I assumed maybe my GPU was dying.

Yesterday (3/16/22) I replaced my RX 570 GPU with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER hoping that the problem was my graphics card.

When I attempted to run Sea of Thieves, it played very well for about 5 - 15 minutes before crashing without any error message. Afterwards I decided to test the issue by running RDR2 and JC3, and both games ran smoothly without crashing. At the moment Sea of Thieves is the only game I can't run properly. With the new graphics card I have attempted the following:

• Cleared windows cache
    • Cleared Steam download cache
    • Disabled ipv6 protocol
    • Replaced my wifi with a cat 6 Ethernet cable

I've exhausted most of the basic troubleshooting options and I'm honestly at a loss. I will expand this list as I try new solutions.

Here are my current computer specs:

OS Windows 10
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10GHz 4.10 GHz
    Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
    Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER
    DirectX Version 12

Here is the Event Viewer crash report:

Faulting application name: SoTGame.exe, version: 0.108.2828.4, time stamp: 0x62228172
    Faulting module name: SoTGame.exe, version: 0.108.2828.4, time stamp: 0x62228172
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0000000001e5a2fe
    Faulting process id: 0x90c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d83a19b62a3a20
    Faulting application path: D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Sea of Thieves\Athena\Binaries\Win64\SoTGame.exe
    Faulting module path: D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Sea of Thieves\Athena\Binaries\Win64\SoTGame.exe
    Report Id: 8283423c-b2e6-4315-acd1-f1c3182e4219
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

Views
  • @raisin8319 im having issues with my AMD PC but full crash 110% of time to blackscreen everytime i play SoT with no problems playing any other games on max settings. usually get no more time then to run from tavern to my boat before i crash or an absolute max of 30min gametime. the game for me is absolutely unplayable. only posting here because i can find any other other help elsewhere. my posts in these forums are of no use so far and im unable to contact rare via support.. steam has no info... amd site is useless... the only options seem to cut my losses and not play SoT as im very unlikely to get a refund.. worst is i simply dont want a refund because i want to play this damn game... im so damn p*ssed off and have no idea what im ment to do..

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
    GPU: AMD RX 6800-XT
    SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB
    SSD: Samsung 870 EVO 4TB
    RAM: 32GB 2x16GB
    MBD: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI)

• This game and AMD don't seem to be compatible. I had the same issue as @ognord above. @ognord I made a comment in a post the other day on how to get the 6800XT stable 'ish'. I would maybe crash 20% of the time. Basically uninstall your drivers using DDU, reinstall them WITHOUT adrenalin software. Then install MSI afterburner and lower the voltage of your card to about 1125. Also create a custom fan profile to keep the card sitting cooler at around 45 degrees.

OP you may have some AMD drivers installed still, you need to do a DDU wipe.

I've switched back to nvidia, no issues what so ever now.

• @a10dr750 i cant find any updates on AMD without Adrenalin for my card

• @ognord said in Game Crash Without Error Message:

@a10dr750 i cant find any updates on AMD without Adrenalin for my card

after spending over AU$1700 on my card 6 months ago i dont have an option to buy Nvidia... id be better off buying a PS5 since i have zero issues with any other games...

• @ognord you can find the drivers buy searching on the AMD website. Find latest driver for your card, download and during the installation stage check the option for install driver only. This will just install the driver and not adrenalin. Then adjust your GPU voltage through msi. It just means you will have to manually install any driver updates yourself.

• @raisin8319 The exception code that was generated happens for a multitude of reasons, but usually it is related to a memory runtime error.

• Run sfc /scannow as Admin to eliminate corrupted files as a possible culprit of the error.

• DDU AMD and Nvidia drivers

• Update BIOS for stable QVL

Test the system for stability; if you are still crashing then downclock RAM to match memory controller (or disable XMP).

• @raisin8319 Submitted a support ticket and was given a list of troubleshooting techniques. The following steps fixed my problem:

If you are using the Nahimic app, try disabling it. To do that:

Hit Start/Click the search bar within Windows
    Type "System Configuration"
    Press the tab "Services"
    Search for "Nahimic service" or press 'n' to fast search
    Disable the check mark, to disable it.

From this article: https://support.seaofthieves.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360014759779

It may be worth noting that my problems first arose when daylight savings started to affect my time zone. For a moment I thought that had been the problem, however, I discovered what whenever the Nahimic App was running my game would not work. Thanks everyone for the feedback, I hope this solution works for a couple of you. If not, I recommend submitting a support ticket. The staff got back to me surprisingly quickly compared with past services I've tried.

• @ognord said in Game Crash Without Error Message:

@raisin8319 im having issues with my AMD PC but full crash 110% of time to blackscreen everytime i play SoT with no problems playing any other games on max settings. usually get no more time then to run from tavern to my boat before i crash or an absolute max of 30min gametime. the game for me is absolutely unplayable. only posting here because i can find any other other help elsewhere. my posts in these forums are of no use so far and im unable to contact rare via support.. steam has no info... amd site is useless... the only options seem to cut my losses and not play SoT as im very unlikely to get a refund.. worst is i simply dont want a refund because i want to play this damn game... im so damn p*ssed off and have no idea what im ment to do..

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
    GPU: AMD RX 6800-XT
    SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB
    SSD: Samsung 870 EVO 4TB
    RAM: 32GB 2x16GB
    MBD: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI)

AMD has some issues with SoT I've faced same issue too many times and now depressed as I am out of budget spending on my PC. I quit playing SoT

Views
1 out of 9