Saying Goodbye to The Arena

• @voreo-sabrae said in Saying Goodbye to The Arena:

10 ranks from 50 as of today.
    ...rude cutoff.

Rude indeed! I was only 2.5 ranks away from 50. I wish we could have had at least a weekends notice. My tears shall add buoyancy to the seas for many days to come.

• Will the Legendary Sea Dog title still be obtainable?

• @jayrobi1 said in Saying Goodbye to The Arena:

Will the Legendary Sea Dog title still be obtainable?

Until March 10th when Arena officially shuts down.

• @kommodoreyenser I see I'm like half-way there its taking me almost a year to get 100+ wins in the arena

• @jayrobi1 yeah, the title and current weapons will no longer be obtainable but they are going to release a different set of legendary weapons to be unlocked in Adventure.

• @myreeftanks said in Saying Goodbye to The Arena:

Use me as a dislike

agreed

• @mcdoosh2011 said in Saying Goodbye to The Arena:

that’s why I said effectively half.. there are 2 game types. Adventure mode and arena. So I was splitting the two.

If a game had 2 game modes, and one of them had 20 chapters, whereas the other had 3, and the one with three was removed, would you really say essentially half the game is being removed? My argument is that Arena is such a small part of the overall experience that it isn't comparable to losing half a game.

• @lizalaroo I'm a fairly new player. (bought it a long time ago, but it ran poorly on my old PC, so I waited,) I'll start by saying this game is wonderful, and it really fulfills me to play it. It's been my main timesink outside of work for the last month or 2. My goal in the game was to earn the legendary sword and blunderbuss, and to reach max level in every company. I genuinely enjoyed arena, but the way the game is built, it incentivizes you to focus elsewhere from the get-go. I got to pirate legend, and I was so excited to be one step closer to the greatest cosmetics in the game! A great feeling! But now, it feels very ripped out from under me. Yes, I could play for hours every single day and maybe squeak out the rest of the wins, but I have a full time job, and a loving significant other. I just can't justify that intense crunch that the devs have put on us. I honestly feel disrespected by the game that I've fallen in love with, and even though it's just a game, it's left me with a real sadness that I can't shake. Even just a real notice, like a few months or something, wouldn't have stung so much. This is a big part of the game, and I was in the middle of enjoying said part of the game. I play it often, despite all the factors that naturally push people away (long queue times, the chest beacon glitch, etc.)

• @lizalaroo I'm sure there will be other ways to get good bursts of PvP in the future, and I'm sure the new pirate legend weapons will look great, but watching all my favorite content creators use those weapons was incredibly inspiring as like a mission statement, with cosmetics being the only real progression system. It feels a bit emptier now, and seeing the forum mods toss the word "fair" around in regards to this is disheartening. It may have been fair if you were thinking we've all been playing since launch. But for pirates like me who just recently got absorbed into the community and the sense of adventure? Nah... I'm sorry, people in this situation have it pretty hard, along with others who were ACTIVELY playing arena, and just happened to not have had the game that long or played it casually under the pretense that it'd always be here for them when they wanted to test their mettle against other sea dogs. Wishing you all well, even though we clearly disagree, and thanks for reading what I've written here.

• @kommodoreyenser said in Saying Goodbye to The Arena:

but they are going to release a different set of legendary weapons to be unlocked in Adventure.

That's just it though - it'll be different. That's precisely why it still hurts. I wanted those cosmetics, but didn't want to sail in Arena to get them due to all of the toxicity and lack of friends who were willing to go through with it. Instead of redesigning the Sea Dogs, their commendations, and their cosmetics for something better in Adventure, they're choosing to forego all of that entirely, and punish the casual or newer pirates who still may have wanted to set sail in the Arena.

Basically, Rare had 3 choices:
    The Good - Remove Arena, and rehash everything Sea Dog in Adventure.
    The Bad - Keep Arena, but do nothing more (basically, keep it as is now).
    The Ugly - Remove Arena, and give little to no notice of how much time pirates have left to enjoy it, and prevent any future possibilities for earning what are essentially core cosmetic sets to the Sea (and this is the 1 they clearly chose?).

This is like rubbing salt into an already open wound. It may heal, but it's going to hurt a whole hel
    l of a lot.

It's also going to create a mad dash for last minute gains in Arena (I know I'm already trying). This artificial bump will flare up and then sputter, but it will show the influence that the devs have - if they had put events into Arena like they had in Adventure, I have no doubt it would have been, and pun intended, far more glorious and triumphant.

• @lethality1 said in Saying Goodbye to The Arena:

I'd like to see the Sea Dogs faction stick around, and maybe be used in the open world in the future.

Also, can we enter the tavern?? :)

I get the distinct feeling that the key members of the Sea Dogs will eventually be murdered off, 1 by 1, in the new Adventures and Mysteries. The tavern will fall into disrepair and become a derelict of good times once long ago when pirates fought with honor in competitions of glory.

• I said good riddance a Long time ago but now that it’s official. I just wanted to say it was nice knowing yeah!

• @blankie-deer said in Saying Goodbye to The Arena:

@tre-oni already had it happen twice in my 4 hour session. Toxic dudes in full arena gear harassing me verbally.

And? Arena isn't closed yet. What does that tell you... acting like it's because of arena.. sure, none of us have ever been blasted in adventure with aggressive verbal people. It's an arena trait.

Lets stop acting like 100% of that 2% userbase were all these arena gods who only ever played arena, are super toxic, never touched adventure, and now that they have no option, are just coming to troll you.. it's delusional to claim anyone is suddenly feeling that 2%, or acting like they've never got dumpstered in PvP in adventure by a possible arena crew before this.

Doesn't matter what they're wearing.. it could literally be anyone, and arena has nothing to do with it, and very clearly has nothing to do with keeping you safe.. since.. you know.. its still very much open right now.

Some of you guys here man... no concept of what arena was, or who frequented it, and just really into gassing up those arena guys as some god tier PvP plague, and the ultimate toxic villain.

IT'S 2%! It's almost a guarantee that the 98% including you have been nailed plenty of times in adventure up to now by any number of the 2% arena crowd you want to blame your problems on, and if they weren't wearing anything or yelling trolly lines about arena closing at you, you'd have never known

• @galactic-geek said in Saying Goodbye to The Arena:

@kommodoreyenser said in Saying Goodbye to The Arena:

but they are going to release a different set of legendary weapons to be unlocked in Adventure.

That's just it though - it'll be different. That's precisely why it still hurts. I wanted those cosmetics, but didn't want to sail in Arena to get them due to all of the toxicity and lack of friends who were willing to go through with it. Instead of redesigning the Sea Dogs, their commendations, and their cosmetics for something better in Adventure, they're choosing to forego all of that entirely, and punish the casual or newer pirates who still may have wanted to set sail in the Arena.

Basically, Rare had 3 choices:
    The Good - Remove Arena, and rehash everything Sea Dog in Adventure.
    The Bad - Keep Arena, but do nothing more (basically, keep it as is now).
    The Ugly - Remove Arena, and give little to no notice of how much time pirates have left to enjoy it, and prevent any future possibilities for earning what are essentially core cosmetic sets to the Sea (and this is the 1 they clearly chose?).

This is like rubbing salt into an already open wound. It may heal, but it's going to hurt a whole hel
    l of a lot.

It's also going to create a mad dash for last minute gains in Arena (I know I'm already trying). This artificial bump will flare up and then sputter, but it will show the influence that the devs have - if they had put events into Arena like they had in Adventure, I have no doubt it would have been, and pun intended, far more glorious and triumphant.

Hey I’m definitely on your side. I was probably 5-6 games away from sea dog 50 and that is what stings me the most. The reason I didn’t play consistently was like most, they kept pumping in new cosmetics for adventure so I would unlock those then swing back to arena in-between events. Since there is no balance of content between the two modes, of course most people played adventure, especially once unlocking everything arena had to offer.

Luckily for me I support games I like with my wallet. When they take a turn I don’t agree with or I feel slighted by a change, I stop spending just like any rational person would do. This frees some up to spend on some other games I have recently found enjoyment in.

• and so the day has unfortunately come.... lol

• The fact PL Weapons are locked behind a 240 wins as a Legend is essentially boring and frustrating to me.. I never found anyone willing to play arena, the only think that kept me playing one or two games from time to time was the grinding for those skins.

They're like one of the best looking weapon set in the game but now it will be gone just because I won't have time to finish farming, and that frustration is giving me the idea of uninstalling the game because I'll never have the PL set completed..

I've farmed every events to collect EVERY skin I could since the day I started the game, but playing Arena solo is like a punishment you give to yourself, there's no matchmaking, the game bugs, the state of this mode is even worse than before (the chest beacon bug, the hitreg, the bug where you can't access to barrels,..).

So now, I have two options :

• Grind the Arena, hoping to find a server where there're no Toxic spawncamping players, no try harders, no arena only players in front of me, getting matched with decent player and not noobs (I never played with a Glorious/Triumphant Sea Dog player in my crew, EVER in more than 100 games.
    • Don't grind the mode and be forever frustrated because Rare's only option to force people playing this mode was to put nice looking skins only unlockable there, and now they're removing the ability to get those skins if you don' grind them before March 10th.

This stinks Rare. I don't like Arena, but I'm a completionist and now I'll have the feeling I won't ever be able to 100% the game because of this.

The thing you could have done was to rework the faction and made it playable in Adventure mode in some way (ability to duel a crew 1v1, make a King of the Montain kind of gamemode that takes place in the main map, like events and let everyone being able to keep grinding all the commendations and unlock all the skins..

I think I'd even pay real money to get those skins at this point, I'm so mad at devs for doing this, I'm an overreactor so I might even uninstalling the game and stop playing it, even after spending 2000h of my life enjoying it just because of decisions like this..

And I know most people won't care, but the whole situation is not fair for everyone.

• Im lvl 48 in Arena. I think its prety crapy that I will lose out on the Good Boy set by 1.5 levels. I could finish that long before the end, but it wont matter. I had stopped playing arena when load times became so long, and now I am sad that Rare wont let me earn my last reward. Why? No reason given. Sadness at the dumping on we who weren't fast enough for them.

• @kevlar830

In fact, the best thing they could do is to make all legendary and non-legendary Arena cosmetics in-game purchasable. It doesn't make sense to tell people "Arena mode is doomed to death" and make them anxious to complete victories in order to get legendary skins that maybe those who wanted to take their time and experience the adventure more are now forced to rush.

In order to alleviate discontent and not make players frustrated about winning, they should make cosmetics related to victories and Arena appearances accessible to everyone.

• Will you remove/change the achievements of Arena?

• @davilomx7 said in Saying Goodbye to The Arena:

Will you remove/change the achievements of Arena?

They're looking into it

• @kevlar830

Rare has stated they'll be working on a replacement set of Pirate Legend weapons that will be earned through adventure, wouldn't be surprised if the current ones are renamed. I know it isn't the same, but you'll still be able to complete the PL set with these new official cosmetics.

• @mogetius-ita said in Saying Goodbye to The Arena:

@kevlar830

In fact, the best thing they could do is to make all legendary and non-legendary Arena cosmetics in-game purchasable. It doesn't make sense to tell people "Arena mode is doomed to death" and make them anxious to complete victories in order to get legendary skins that maybe those who wanted to take their time and experience the adventure more are now forced to rush.

In order to alleviate discontent and not make players frustrated about winning, they should make cosmetics related to victories and Arena appearances accessible to everyone.

This would be a direct spit in the face of every player that spent god knows how long to actually achieve those cosmetics. I simply couldn't ever see Rare not only removing Arena, but then also erasing any achievement those that loved and supported it came to rightfully earn.

• Does anyone else find it interesting that most of the discussion (I didn’t say all) centers around the cosmetics earned AND NOT THE ACTUAL GAMEPLAY? Very few people are lamenting the loss of Arena for what it is/was. Only the skins. That says a lot.

• @saleen8927
    Na mate. I already have it.
    I'm concerned for others.
    I did my grind, took me months.
    Now all the new pups who got the game are told you have 40 days... You really believe that's cool?
    I'm not talking about those who ignored the arena, but those who just got with the game and have seen how awesome the arena can be.

• Just a gentle reminder to .....

Remain respectful to one another, regardless of your feelings.

.... makes things so much easier, and more pleasant.
    Especially for those that ( on our behalf ) Moderate to keep this forum safe & running as smoothly as it does.

• @ghostpaw said in Saying Goodbye to The Arena:

Does anyone else find it interesting that most of the discussion (I didn’t say all) centers around the cosmetics earned AND NOT THE ACTUAL GAMEPLAY? Very few people are lamenting the loss of Arena for what it is/was. Only the skins. That says a lot.

Given the Arena will be removed and the cosmetics are all that will be left of the experience, I'm not entirely surprised people are primarily concerned with it. It'll certainly be missed by those that played though, there's just not much that can be said or done about it with Rare being final in their decision.

• Shame! .

• Hello, I send you this message, because i had an Idea related to the Arena Achievements. We could buy them near a special salesman, the Prices will be according to the Time and the difficulty of the Achievement. This seller could be found on K12. Thank u for ur Time .

• I have a question regarding reputation promotion rewards for the Arena, currently this includes the:

Measly/Notable/Renowned/Esteemed Sea Dog Cutlass
    and the
    Lowly/Prominent/Famed/Revered Sea Dog Blunderbuss

When you upgrade to a new promotion you'll gain the upgrade but the former item will have been replaced.
    If you reach level 50 (Arena Master promotion) you'll have both the Notorious Sea Dog Cutlass and Legendary Sea Dog Blunderbuss but the former 4 versions of these weapons are no longer available as they will have been removed from your inventory when you purchased your promotions.
    Would it possible to have all of these previous promotion items retroactively made available to pirates in a similar fashion to the Merchant Spyglasses?

• Folks need to start brainstorming concepts on how to bring the best elements of Arena into Adventure mode.

Arena was designed to be a condensed, competitive version of Adventure. While a lot of us wanted a true Battle Royale, last ship standing, that's not what it was.

I've got a few ideas I'm putting together that would offer to be a great replacement for what Arena was intended to be and have it in Adventure mode.

I'll miss Arena, but it was never designed to be what we really wanted it to be outside of being a way to have a short SoT session if you wanted it. I'd love to see a BR last ship standing mode. We all would. But I doubt Rare has any interest in introducing something that would stand to trump Adventure mode similar to the Save the World mode of Fortnite.

• To me this showcases the worst side of live service games, their ability to take things away. I don't mean to be disrespectful but this was rolled out in a horrible manner with no notice and no attempt to get feedback first, ending with the statement that you're already refusing to entertain reversing your decision. You gave a reward to all current rank 50s but made the cutoff for that rewards the same day you announced it, this honestly feels like a punishment to anyone who simply had not grinded Arena yet for whatever reason.
    At the very least you should make some way for people to still be able to obtain the Sea Dogs Cosmetics, Titles, Achievements, Commendations etc. The OG sets and skins, not something new.
    An idea I just recently had was why not simply repurpose the Sea Dogs faction into a Adventure faction and slightly tweak all the commendations/achievements so that all rewards are earnable in Adventure Mode. This would serve a dual purpose, new players would still be able to earn everything that Arena offered and it would encourage more people to engage in PvP in Adventure mode.
    For achievements like drinking Grog with 4 people in the hot tub and playing music on the stage with 4 people, you could simply open the door to the Sea Dog Tavern in Adventure mode and let people enter the building. I would be honored if you would read this and give it some consideration.

• @sweetsandman said in Saying Goodbye to The Arena:

I'd love to see a BR last ship standing mode. We all would.

No. We all would not. This has been brought up since before Arena arrived.

But I doubt Rare has any interest in introducing something that would stand to trump Adventure mode similar to the Save the World mode of Fortnite.

There is zero chance of a BR mode overshadowing Adventure mode. This is like waking into a beloved sushi restaurant and saying, “You know what this place really needs to offer is pizza! Amiright?! Anyone with me here?”

• @ghostpaw said in Saying Goodbye to The Arena:

Does anyone else find it interesting that most of the discussion (I didn’t say all) centers around the cosmetics earned AND NOT THE ACTUAL GAMEPLAY? Very few people are lamenting the loss of Arena for what it is/was. Only the skins. That says a lot.

I won't lament the loss of Arena 2.0. I am genuinely sad that they didn't even attempt to revive Arena by reverting to 1.0.

In my own opinion, 2.0 and focusing too much on one aspect of the game was the death knell for the mode.

With the increase in new players in the last 9 months or so, I really think they gave up too easily instead of looking for alternatives, such as (as I said) reverting to 1.0 and leaving comms off.

As for why the focus is on the cosmetics and not the gameplay, it's because the vast majority of respondents read the post and know that, no matter what they say, Arena is dead.

• @glowskull84

Mark my words... Those 2% try-hards will end up poisoning adventure mode, eventually making every casual player focusing on adventure mode, quit the game entirely.

That's bold of you to assume that all remaining Arena players are toxic.
    I'm part of the 2%. Are you saying that I'm going to go to Adventure and ruin everyone's experience now? Keep in mind, most of those 2% play Adventure, too.

Views
1117 out of 1914