Sword once again ruins the game with unnecessary buff

• I'll just start by asking why was there any need to buff the sword. Especially to make it to where you can't ADS when you're being slashed. I literally got slashed to death by someone facing the opposite direction of me and I couldn't move, ads, eat or do anything. I'm tired of seeing the PVP community squashed out with horrible weapon balances like this that ruin the game by making the sword too OP. For the love of god nerf it or give it a new combat system.

(Edit: I’ve since cooled down a bit and seeing all ur responses has shown me this is more of a server issue :))

Views
  • Sword man bad pew Pew good

• @ajm123 gun man bad! swish swish good!

• The stabby stabby strikes again!

• Damn... Double gunners kept telling me that cutlass was trash and I thought 50% of being a double gunner was based on movements ; How could this happen?!

• So many disrespectful replies smh, toxicity seems to be fine when directed against against regular players but others get banned for not pandering to obvious trolls.

• If you allowed them to get close enough, and without having a sword or blunderbuss equipped to just counter them, then that's on you? Your longer range weapons should've taken care of them before they got close, no? Or at the very least you should've had a weapon (like a sword or blunderbuss) equipped that can counter them at close range. Next time pick a more balanced loadout and you'll be fine. :)

• @louiscyphere1 said in Sword once again ruins the game with unnecessary buff:

So many disrespectful replies smh, toxicity seems to be fine when directed against against regular players but others get banned for not pandering to obvious trolls.

Well why would they post this topic in the first place. If they'd just looked a tiny bit they'd have seen that someone else made the same topic on the same day! IMO they brought it down upon themselves.

• Why is it that every time it is always double gunners calling the sword OP or trash?

How about we flip it?

• @personalc0ffee said in Sword once again ruins the game with unnecessary buff:

Why is it that every time it is always double gunners calling the sword OP or trash?

How about we flip it?

I'll start... Ahem...

I hate how OP double gunners are. From far away they snipe me to bits, and once I do get close they just pull out their blunderbuss and oneshot me. How the heck am I supposed to get near enough to stabby them?! :(

• @personalc0ffee said in Sword once again ruins the game with unnecessary buff:

Why is it that every time it is always double gunners calling the sword OP or trash?

How about we flip it?

Probably someone didn't have much luck attacking a swords-wearing crew, and they were pretty upset about it.
    Better some mod close this topic, because from here will not come anything productive, since none of them spoke of the buff that the sword received.

• @louiscyphere1 there’s a difference from being disrespectful and joking. And this definitely isn’t toxicity.

• @hotklou9848 said in Sword once again ruins the game with unnecessary buff:

If you allowed them to get close enough, and without having a sword or blunderbuss equipped to just counter them, then that's on you? Your longer range weapons should've taken care of them before they got close, no? Or at the very least you should've had a weapon (like a sword or blunderbuss) equipped that can counter them at close range. Next time pick a more balanced loadout and you'll be fine. :)

Sure, but have you seen server lag? In a game where there is no server or client side lag, then yes, you let them get too close. But, the sword is one of the buggiest and laggiest weapons on the Sea. Something known as ‘noodle arming’ is when a sword hits you from out of its range, which is actually quite common. And now that we can’t ADS whilst being slashed, blunder is practically useless because the pellet spread is just too wide and hit reg too unreliable. And back onto sword, blocking is very inconsistent, and again, it requires both server and clients to be running well… ahem, never….

P.S. This buff was never added into the patch notes either, so I do understand where a lot of the initial anger and frustration is coming from.

• @maironds88 said in Sword once again ruins the game with unnecessary buff:

@personalc0ffee said in Sword once again ruins the game with unnecessary buff:

How about we flip it?

Probably someone didn't have much luck attacking a swords-wearing crew, and they were pretty upset about it.
    Better some mod close this topic, because from here will not come anything productive, since none of them spoke of the buff that the sword received.

Because sword never got a buff. It got exploits patched instead.

@maironds88 said in Sword once again ruins the game with unnecessary buff:

How about we flip it?

It did get buffed???

• @scurvywoof said in Sword once again ruins the game with unnecessary buff:

How about we flip it?

It did get buffed???

No, it was nerfed and then they went back on it and fixed some issues with stun lock and certain exploits to make it more fair like removal of lockdown.

@scurvywoof said in Sword once again ruins the game with unnecessary buff:

How about we flip it?

It did get buffed???

No, it was nerfed and then they went back on it and fixed some issues with stun lock and certain exploits to make it more fair like removal of lockdown.

I assume @scurvywoof was talking about the buff sword had Year and a half ago in "Ships of Fortune" update?

• @limend said in Sword once again ruins the game with unnecessary buff:

@scurvywoof said in Sword once again ruins the game with unnecessary buff:

How about we flip it?

It did get buffed???

I assume @scurvywoof was talking about the buff sword had Year and a half ago in "Ships of Fortune" update?

"Cutlass Damage Balancing – When attacking with a cutlass, players will now deal more damage per strike. Regular strikes now deal 25 damage, increased from 20. Heavy strikes now deal 60 damage, increased from 50."

Yes, that was originally nerfed and then restored and then maybe had a very slight bump. It's been so long, do we still care about this?

Sword is still not as good as a DG that can land their shots. A DG that can land their shots, will wipe the floor with sword, no matter how good they are any day of the week. A bad DG is one that dies by sword or got very careless.

• @personalc0ffee said in [Sword once again ruins the game with unnecessary buff]

Sword is still not as good as a DG that can land their shots. A DG that can land their shots, will wipe the floor with sword, no matter how good they are any day of the week. A bad DG is one that dies by sword or got very careless.

It's not, but we're comparing one weapon which is good in short range combat against two guns which can bot we "mid to long range", or long to short range weapons.

Edit: I went through all patch notes since the game was released and found no mention of sword damage nerf? Around when did that happen?

• I was starting to get confused as to whether there were recent changes... 😅

• @hotklou9848 said in Sword once again ruins the game with unnecessary buff:

If you allowed them to get close enough, and without having a sword or blunderbuss equipped to just counter them, then that's on you? Your longer range weapons should've taken care of them before they got close, no? Or at the very least you should've had a weapon (like a sword or blunderbuss) equipped that can counter them at close range. Next time pick a more balanced loadout and you'll be fine. :)

Problem is that the cutlass in itself doesn’t work as intended due to server stability. You can hit players from relatively far away(further than intended range) when stability isn’t good. You can also do damage to players that are behind you when you attack them. When the stability so easily breaks the range, just say to not them get close isn’t very useful advice.

• @illbushido305 said in Sword once again ruins the game with unnecessary buff:

@hotklou9848 said in Sword once again ruins the game with unnecessary buff:

Problem is that the cutlass in itself doesn’t work as intended due to server stability. You can hit players from relatively far away(further than intended range) when stability isn’t good. You can also do damage to players that are behind you when you attack them. When the stability so easily breaks the range, just say to not them get close isn’t very useful advice.

What you're describing isn't an issue with the sword then, but with the stability of the servers.

• @hotklou9848 I never said otherwise? That’s the whole point I made. You can’t just say don’t get hit when a lot of the time it’s unavoidable due to the range not working when there’s instability.

• @illbushido305 said in Sword once again ruins the game with unnecessary buff:

@hotklou9848 I never said otherwise? That’s the whole point I made. You can’t just say don’t get hit when a lot of the time it’s unavoidable due to the range not working when there’s instability.

Ah. I just meant that the only sensible complaint with the sword is that when server stability is terrible the sword benefits largely from it, but that is no reason to nerf the sword - the real thing that should be discussed is the server stability issues.

• @hotklou9848 That’s the thing, we all know that the sword isn’t in the most balanced state but it’s not something that can’t be countered. The big problem is how easy it is for it to break and become completely overpowered. Hopefully some day we upgrade to unreal 5 and maybe some better servers or something.

• You are not getting killer by a Sword user facing the opposite direction as you think he/she is slashing because Sword is OP.

This is because - Hitreg/Backtracking/Lag/Teleporting Players happens every time you face 1vs1 against another player.

Rare wants a Pvpve Game, but the PvP aspect is rng coinflip every time.
    Imagine close every post speaking about Pve servers, but not fixing the huge issues on your"Core enviroment mechanic" as PvP is.

"We want you to play on a Pvpve world, with a high Risk High reward" Yea, Rare, High Risk of getting backtracked 50% of time, Risk of make hitreg the other 50%.

Imagine defending a PvP enviroment with servers that makes your users play with 120 ping against people with 50% of that ping (Spanish players as me vs the rest of Europe).

2022, 120 ping, last time I played with that ping was around 2005 when I had 3mb internet Provider, now I have 1GB with the best Internet Provider on the country and still getting coinfliped every gunfight.

Well, this is Sea of Thieves, when your skill is on a second place against rng

• @elci-poteh said in Sword once again ruins the game with unnecessary buff:

You are not getting killer by a Sword user facing the opposite direction as you think he/she is slashing because Sword is OP.

This is because - Hitreg/Backtracking/Lag/Teleporting Players happens every time you face 1vs1 against another player.

Right, so you are getting killed by someone facing away from you then.

• @illbushido305

Yes, on your screen the enemy might appear in front of you but he is on your back stabbing you. Then when you die the Game teleport him to the correct place and your face is like -_-'

• So I have read all the recent replies and stewed in my emotions for the last day. Many of your opinions have helped shape my views on the situation. Although this new buff is obnoxious for some and wasn’t announced properly, I also realize most of my issues lie in server issues/lag/noodle arming etc. the actual ADS prevention of the sword can be avoided with good skilled movement however in the case of server lag things become far more difficult and stressful. I’m by no means an NAL or pro player so I die plenty of times due to skill issues but deaths due to weird game quirks and such just become more stressful than they should be. This change could be worse and it aids some of the player base who isn’t me and I shouldn’t be that upset over it. Also it was just annoying it wasn’t addd in the patch notes but I’m thankful for all of your input on my rather grumpy rant

• @hotklou9848 I think this is what I was a bit grumpy about yesterday and thinking about it this makes a lot more sense to me

• @scurvywoof said in Sword once again ruins the game with unnecessary buff:

Sure, but have you seen server lag? In a game where there is no server or client side lag, then yes, you let them get too close. But, the sword is one of the buggiest and laggiest weapons on the Sea. Something known as ‘noodle arming’ is when a sword hits you from out of its range, which is actually quite common.

Noodle arm is the same thing as backtracking with a pistol/EoR/blunderbuss. I've been killed by guns where they are behind me and facing the wrong direction before - it's an issue with the speed at which the server is processing hits and updating client information.

The sword range is not a problem. From your screen it's not possible to hit players as far away as the server is applying damage, but the server tells the other player "hey, you were hit enough times to die so now you're dead" even if they are now outside of range on their end.

• The person to person PVP hasn't changed since the game came out.

It's sloppy, it's cartoony, it's inconsistent. It relies more on the system and set up and connection your playing on than the "Game". It's as accurate and good as Minecraft and Roblox but the sweats want to compare it to CS Go and Overwatch!

And that's OK! Cause combined with the excellent ship PVP it works.

Problem is these dudes that think they have PVP Skill (All while playing a game on a superior system and playing a game with NO STATS and NO KD lol).

I've boarded and soloed many of Galleon, and I have been on many of Galleon that have been wiped out by a Solo boarder.

This ain't about skill. It's about connection and Food and a million other little things.

Also I can't believe anyone would give up the function and utility of sword.

The lunge, the being able to pass through enemies (NPC and Player).

Just stupid not to carry it. Like your disabling half the movement controls the game offers!

• @glannigan Does that mean that people who choose to double gun should be punished further by not being able to to ADS while getting noodled by a ship full of sword users when it was already pretty broken?

• @munkymagick said in Sword once again ruins the game with unnecessary buff:

@glannigan Does that mean that people who choose to double gun should be punished further by not being able to to ADS while getting noodled by a ship full of sword users when it was already pretty broken?

If they made the poor choice in weapons to use in close quarters, then yes.

• @dlchief58 said in Sword once again ruins the game with unnecessary buff:

@munkymagick said in Sword once again ruins the game with unnecessary buff:

@glannigan Does that mean that people who choose to double gun should be punished further by not being able to to ADS while getting noodled by a ship full of sword users when it was already pretty broken?

If they made the poor choice in weapons to use in close quarters, then yes.

Nah nah, when you get that same ADS issue with a weapon like the blunderbuss, the only gun meant to counter and punish endlessly clicking sword users, there's a massive imbalance that was given in favor to the sword.

Views
1 out of 73