My Fan-Update for Sea of Thieves (Feedback is welcome)

• Hey there, I want to share some ideas and, hopefully get this noticed! Please provide feedback if you can: (TLDR is on bottom)

UPDATE FOR SAIL:
    -Sails now catch pirates that fling themselves at them (ex. Cannon shot from island, sails catch the pirate)
    -Pirates sliding down sails can stick a blade in the sails to slow their descent, and damage sails.
    -sail damage (tears splits, punctures, fires)
    -Climbing nets (to climb masts and maintain sails),
    -Spare cloth to patch the sails. (found in random containers like planks) and to share the same barrel as the wooden planks.

TAKING A BOW:
    Ability to switch out harpoons for other tools at a shipwright
    -Chase cannons (frontal assault), -Shields (blocks projectile damage from front),
    -fishing nets (passively scoops up fish for the hunters call),
    -battering ram (head on collision for massive damage)
    -bumpers (absorbs all frontal impact)
    -Flamethrowers (lick any pirate or ship you chase with flames. Needs gunpowder for fuel. Bigger gunpowder barrel, stronger and more fire)

THIS IS ALL CANNON:
    Gunpowder from all gunpowder barrels can be used to stuff inside cannons to make them travel farther and do more damage. (This provides incentives for gunpowder barrels being used more frequently)

NEED FOR CONCEDE:
    -White flags now serve as means of surrender, and a call for parley. As long as the white flag is up:
    -all cannons are locked in "peaceball" position,
    -all weapons of surrendering crew are locked, (drawing a weapon now puts your hands up instead),
    -the ship moves much slower.
    -victorious crews can choose to either A) Ignore the parlay, and sink them, or B) Go up to the surrendering ships table, voue unanimously for a merciful treaty.
    -Winning Crews can shanghai losing crews onto their ships AFTER the white flag is raised. This is done with Grappling hooks to bind them up and drag them onboard.
    -Detained pirates can be thrown into the brig, or tied to the mast.
    -Attach chainshots to Detained pirates legs and throw them overboard to quickly drown them.
    -Detained pirates can possibly break free at anytime to escape. Rarely happens.

TREATY EVERYONE FAIRLY
    -Merciful Treaties are honor bound contracts from victorious pirates that say "We beat you, but we still can/will plunder you."
    -Both Crews must vote on the LOSING ship's table to unanimously sign a merciful treaty.
    -All crewmates must not attack the crew or ship they won against, or the treaty is broken and lost.
    -Treaty counts as an emmesary flag. The value is equal to the amount of the flage current grade.
    -Turn the treaty into the respective faction to recieve a reward, plus a bonus for sparing the crew. (A seal of the faction logo will be adourned for identification.)
    -Upon signing a treaty, the losing ship's emmesary flag will lose two grades of progress, but the flag will still be kept.
    -All factions accept merciful treaties and offer a bonus for sparing their representatives EXCEPT for Reapers bones who just accept the Treaty without a bonus (incentive to play aggressively towards reapers)
    -Reapers who surrender and sign the treaty lose 3 levels of progress instead of just 2.
    TOOL COOL FOR WORDS:
    Dagger weapon:
    -Short range
    -quick attacks
    -blocking allows a small amount of damage, but move much faster
    -Can INSTANTLY kill a pirate from behind with a backstab
    -Less damaging than the cutlass

Twin pistols:
    -Takes up TWO weapon slots
    -Five rounds, fire both before reload
    -Can aim
    -Can mix and match
    -Slightly longer reload, but can fire one pistol mid-reload if it's hammer is loaded
    -Skeletons and phantoms can spawn with these

Fusebombs:
    -Throwable weapon
    -5 Ammo pool
    -Fuse can be lit that thrown for timing
    -Stronger explosive than blunderbomb, but weaker then gunpowder keg
    -can be thrown back
    -Skeletons and Phantoms can spawn with these

Axe:
    -Swings are slower, but do more damage than a cutlass
    -Can tear off planks that were used to repair damage
    -Can stick to a ship and be used as a swing to board vessels
    -Charge attacks slam the ground causing a staggering shockwave

Grappling Hook:

-Throw to lasso treasure from afar
    -Lasso enemies and pull them in
    -Lasso pirates to bind them up during surrender
    -throw to latch onto a ship, and pull it close for boarding (Grappler must be on a ship for this to work, victim crew can cut the line with a bladed weapon.)

COSMETICS
    Name plates:
    -Name Ships what you want
    -Spyglass will show name of a vessel if spotted
    -Custom Ship names can be toggled in options menu

Pirate Name:
    -Choose the option to use a Gamertag or a custom Pirate name for identification
    -Can be toggled in the options menu

Voices:
    -Choose from male and female voices
    -Pirate Legends can choose SoT character voices (Flameheart, Briggsy, Duke, etc.)
    -Crew Pirate voices can be Toggled in the options menu

Ship Set slot:
    -Save a ship combo you like for easy access at a shipwright

Partner Emotes:
    -Will begin an emote for another pirate to join in, join by emoting anything
    -Waltz, arm hook, rock paper scissors, high five, sword clash, hug, flexing, whispering

OTHERS:

Interactive npcs:
    -Pirate Legends can buy random Ghosts from athena's fortune to join them on their journey
    -They DO NOT offer any tactical advantage
    -They will wander around the ship like jack sparrow in 'a pirates life' tall tale
    -Hired Npcs will wait in taverns until selected to replace previously selected npcs
    -If you have more than five hired Npcs, the tavern keeper can be used to summon a favorite
    -Can be talked to
    -NPCs gain experience. Once they max out, they can be bought again to restore them back to life as pirates.
    -Can be 'killed' by enemies, explosions and other elements. (Will respawn in about a minute)

Restored Pirate NPCs:
    -CAN BE CUSTOMIZED
    -can be sent on voyages in your possession and do them on your behalf. (It takes 24 real time hours to complete, and players only receive a fraction of the voyages renowned and gold.)
    -can complete messages in bottle missions and journal missions on your behalf (takes an hour and players only receive a fraction of the map's renowned and gold.)

TLDR; Sails can take damage, Harpoons can be changed to other tools, crews can surrender, Gunpowder has purpose on ships, new tools and weapons, name ships and pirates, Voices, Ship set selection, NPC pirates

Views
    questioncommunityfeedbackgeneral
  • The treaty /concede concept at its core is cool imo...but we forget how crazy some people are and this will 100% go very bad.

I like the flamethrower fishnet harpoon swap.

The bumpers are a hard pass. Would be easy to abuse unless the opposing ship doesn't take damage as well as yours

• @nyanbonecrush

Although we've already seen some of the things being proposed before, you definitely have some interesting stuff in your post. I hope Rare pick up on it.

• @greengrimz
    Thank you! Any favorites of yours among the post?

• @ajm123 Hmm, I see. I tried to make the treaty as mutually beneficial and as exploit-proof as possible. Any ideas to further that process?

For the Bumpers, think of it like those rubber tires that fishing boats would use on their hull to protect themselves and the other ship from damage.

Most of these Ideas were inspired by the usual ship chases in game that would last hours before something happens. "What if something damages the sails and slows them down?" I thought. Then, My mind went wild.

• @nyanbonecrush The sails damage would be cool but way to easy to do. cannonballs would become useless. Just rip the sails and they are stuck

• @ajm123
    Sail damage would also happen in storms and volcanoes.
    This system is here because of the current tedious running and chasing ships for hours.
    As an alternative to screeching to a halt, perhaps If the sails are fully damaged, then the ship slows down significantly rather than coming to a dead stop?
    That way, it can still have a fighting chance, and have some movement and steering while repairs are underway.

• I definitely like the idea of being able to collide with the sails, and slide down them. Feels very piratey.

• That's my boyfriend lol

• @nyanbonecrush I really like the npc ghost crewmates idea! They would liven up the ship and make the crew feel like a acurate pirate crew size.
    Also like the knife idea. Been wanting one for a while now

• Absolutely Not to literally this entire list. There's nothing polite I could say about these ideas as a whole and going item by item to say why they wouldn't work would be a waste of both my and your time.

• @blam320
    Really? Why is this so in your opinion? What doesn't work? I am open to response :)

• @nyanbonecrush said in My Fan-Update for Sea of Thieves (Feedback is welcome):

@blam320
    Really? Why is this so in your opinion? What doesn't work? I am open to response :)

Like I said, since you obviously didn't read my full comment, there's nothing polite I have to say about it, and if I did say it, I would be breaking forum rules.

• @ajm123 said in My Fan-Update for Sea of Thieves (Feedback is welcome):

@nyanbonecrush The sails damage would be cool but way to easy to do. cannonballs would become useless. Just rip the sails and they are stuck

Not unless blades are the only way to break them. 😅

• @blam320 nothing polite to say at all? Buddy, who hurt you? I find it hard to believe anyone could meet each and every suggestion OP made with such contempt. Hope it gets better pal, happy holidays.

• @mrstinkyfart169 said in My Fan-Update for Sea of Thieves (Feedback is welcome):

@blam320 nothing polite to say at all? Buddy, who hurt you? I find it hard to believe anyone could meet each and every suggestion OP made with such contempt. Hope it gets better pal, happy holidays.

Yes, nothing. Every last one of the OP's ideas is irredeemable and should never be added to the game under any circumstances.

• @blam320 even the suggestion to be able to quick equip ship cosmetics? Bud you're either a troll, or someone who didn't read the post in its entirety. I might not agree with everything OP suggested, but I disagree whole heartedly that their entire list should be dismissed. I think OP not only articulated their ideas very well, but brought some ideas up that would enhance the gameplay experience. You're more than welcome to your opinion and feedback (even though it's negative and not constructive).

• The treaty idea risks to turn into "RDR 2 lasso" scenario. It will turn a naval battle into trolling match to be avoided.

The sails damage will put the cannonballs literally out of commission. Sniper fire and storms risk to become OP in that case.

• @nyanbonecrush said in My Fan-Update for Sea of Thieves (Feedback is welcome):

Hey there, I want to share some ideas and, hopefully get this noticed! Please provide feedback if you can: (TLDR is on bottom)

Happily!
    ...but you may not like it. 😅

UPDATE FOR SAIL:
    -Sails now catch pirates that fling themselves at them (ex. Cannon shot from island, sails catch the pirate)

This would certainly make boarding easier with cannons - though I would worry if it would make it too easy, especially against the larger ships with more sails. Also, sails are pretty static animation-wise (nothing interacts with them) and we have to ask ourselves 1 very important question: do we need to strengthen something that is, by most accounts, the meta?

-Pirates sliding down sails can stick a blade in the sails to slow their descent, and damage sails.

I kind of like this, but only because it strengthens the sword - everything else I said above still applies.

-sail damage (tears splits, punctures, fires)

No, because we already have a lot to deal with on the ship - potentially adding even 1 more factor can become overwhelming across the board.

-Climbing nets (to climb masts and maintain sails),

Rare's ships aren't perfect from a realistic sense, but that seems to be because they're catering to gameplay balance - in this case, sails already obstruct quite a bit and are often raised slightly to offer a better view. Rare has mitigated this by offering various sails with better trim options, but generally speaking, we only really need 1 way to get to the crow's nest or crossbeams. Having more could promote camping up top, which isn't it's purpose.

-Spare cloth to patch the sails. (found in random containers like planks) and to share the same barrel as the wooden planks.

Again, we don't necessarily need more resources to have to manage the ship - what we have now is a reasonably good balance.

TAKING A BOW:
    Ability to switch out harpoons for other tools at a shipwright

Depends contextually on what's added. Also, not likely to happen due to customization expansion (every ship cosmetic theme would have to be revisited again for the new pieces).

-Chase cannons (frontal assault), -Shields (blocks projectile damage from front),

No. Far too unbalanced.

-fishing nets (passively scoops up fish for the hunters call),

No. Too easy.

-battering ram (head on collision for massive damage)

Maybe this.

-bumpers (absorbs all frontal impact)

No.

-Flamethrowers (lick any pirate or ship you chase with flames. Needs gunpowder for fuel. Bigger gunpowder barrel, stronger and more fire)

A free Ashen Winds skull on each side? Definitely too OP!

THIS IS ALL CANNON:
    Gunpowder from all gunpowder barrels can be used to stuff inside cannons to make them travel farther and do more damage. (This provides incentives for gunpowder barrels being used more frequently)

Maybe? But it might be abused. Also, gunpowder barrels are limited in their use for a reason (balance). Even taking time to set up, it's still potentially OP (you think chainshots are bad? Wait until this gets added.). Besides, we already have wraithballs that fulfill this purpose and they are considerably much harder to get (for good reason).

NEED FOR CONCEDE:
    -White flags now serve as means of surrender, and a call for parley. As long as the white flag is up:
    -all cannons are locked in "peaceball" position,
    -all weapons of surrendering crew are locked, (drawing a weapon now puts your hands up instead),
    -the ship moves much slower.
    -victorious crews can choose to either A) Ignore the parlay, and sink them, or B) Go up to the surrendering ships table, voue unanimously for a merciful treaty.
    -Winning Crews can shanghai losing crews onto their ships AFTER the white flag is raised. This is done with Grappling hooks to bind them up and drag them onboard.
    -Detained pirates can be thrown into the brig, or tied to the mast.
    -Attach chainshots to Detained pirates legs and throw them overboard to quickly drown them.
    -Detained pirates can possibly break free at anytime to escape. Rarely happens.

Rare has already turned down any kind of gameplay that takes complete control away from pirates - also, referencing the more horrifying aspects of sailing history (e g., torture/slavery), even temporarily, is not something Rare wants to promote in any sense.

Also, what if I want to run the white flag just because? I shouldn't be penalized for that!

TREATY EVERYONE FAIRLY
    -Merciful Treaties are honor bound contracts from victorious pirates that say "We beat you, but we still can/will plunder you."

This can be done socially through word of mouth, and still leaves the sandbox nature of the Sea open to moree options, such as betrayal. Tools, not rules.

-Both Crews must vote on the LOSING ship's table to unanimously sign a merciful treaty.

See above - too redundant.

-All crewmates must not attack the crew or ship they won against, or the treaty is broken and lost.

But there's not always a clear cut winner. For example, yesterday, my crew's ship was disabled multiple times, and boarded, but each time we repelled the boarders and were able to continue pursuit. Eventually, both our ships went our separate ways due to the long-standing stalemate. Nothing lost from either side, but supplies and time.

-Treaty counts as an emmesary flag. The value is equal to the amount of the flage current grade.

Emmisary flags are complex enough (they even have their own dedicated tutorial pages in the menu's UI), and you want to make them even harder to understand!?

-Turn the treaty into the respective faction to recieve a reward, plus a bonus for sparing the crew. (A seal of the faction logo will be adourned for identification.)
    -Upon signing a treaty, the losing ship's emmesary flag will lose two grades of progress, but the flag will still be kept.
    -All factions accept merciful treaties and offer a bonus for sparing their representatives EXCEPT for Reapers bones who just accept the Treaty without a bonus (incentive to play aggressively towards reapers)
    -Reapers who surrender and sign the treaty lose 3 levels of progress instead of just 2.

TOOLS, NOT RULES.

TOOL COOL FOR WORDS:
    Dagger weapon:
    -Short range
    -quick attacks
    -blocking allows a small amount of damage, but move much faster
    -Can INSTANTLY kill a pirate from behind with a backstab
    -Less damaging than the cutlass

Not against new melee weapons because I'd likr to see a 3 melee vs. 3 firearm setup personally), but I've seen how effective a mobile pirate can be - Making it easier to circle around a pirate's block, which already slows yhem down, only to get a free kill at their back is wayvtoo broken because it weakens the block mechanic, and nobody would ever use a sword again.

Twin pistols:
    -Takes up TWO weapon slots
    -Five rounds, fire both before reload
    -Can aim
    -Can mix and match
    -Slightly longer reload, but can fire one pistol mid-reload if it's hammer is loaded
    -Skeletons and phantoms can spawn with these

This will bring back the double gun exploit which as we all know, completely broke combat gameplay balance - it's never been the same since...

Fusebombs:
    -Throwable weapon
    -5 Ammo pool
    -Fuse can be lit that thrown for timing
    -Stronger explosive than blunderbomb, but weaker then gunpowder keg
    -can be thrown back
    -Skeletons and Phantoms can spawn with these

Do we really need a happy middle ground though? That said, I do like the ability to catch them, but why not just add that as a new mechanic (with a timed button press) if your pirate is unarmed?

Axe:
    -Swings are slower, but do more damage than a cutlass
    -Can tear off planks that were used to repair damage
    -Can stick to a ship and be used as a swing to board vessels
    -Charge attacks slam the ground causing a staggering shockwave

Boarding axes are cool, but I think they shouldn't be used to tear off planks, which are just textures once applied anyways. Better to use it to disable the ship's parts like the wheel, mast, and capstan as a personal alternative to chain shot. It would take longer and be loud.

Also, being able to board from any part of a ship with it is too OP. Maybe if it only worked via cannon shot over to a ship?

A slam attack? I maintain that the gravity hammer is still OP in Halo, and I imagine that it would be here too. Perhaps it could be used to bat away throwables?

Grappling Hook:

-Throw to lasso treasure from afar
    -Lasso enemies and pull them in
    -Lasso pirates to bind them up during surrender
    -throw to latch onto a ship, and pull it close for boarding (Grappler must be on a ship for this to work, victim crew can cut the line with a bladed weapon.)

Again, there will be no surrender-style mechanics. Also redundant with ship-based grappling hooks.

COSMETICS
    Name plates:
    -Name Ships what you want

Yes to nameplates, but where on the ship (the only 1 availablenow is on a galleon)? Also, how would it be determined by the crew?
    Furthermore, this would require censors to be in place to prevent abuse.

-Spyglass will show name of a vessel if spotted

Okay, I could see that working - but what would stop a ship from changing its name or appearance? Again - tools, not rules.

-Custom Ship names can be toggled in options menu

Hmm... 🤔

Pirate Name:
    -Choose the option to use a Gamertag or a custom Pirate name for identification

Technically already a thing.

-Can be toggled in the options menu

See above.

Voices:
    -Choose from male and female voices

Yes.

-Pirate Legends can choose SoT character voices (Flameheart, Briggsy, Duke, etc.)

No. Each pirate is a unique butterfly.

-Crew Pirate voices can be Toggled in the options menu

Sure.

Ship Set slot:
    -Save a ship combo you like for easy access at a shipwright

Okay.

Partner Emotes:
    -Will begin an emote for another pirate to join in, join by emoting anything
    -Waltz, arm hook, rock paper scissors, high five, sword clash, hug, flexing, whispering

Yes. May need to update Olde emotes.

OTHERS:

Interactive npcs:
    -Pirate Legends can buy random Ghosts from athena's fortune to join them on their journey

No.

-They DO NOT offer any tactical advantage

But then what's the point?

-They will wander around the ship like jack sparrow in 'a pirates life' tall tale

Who happens to be a crack shot.

-Hired Npcs will wait in taverns until selected to replace previously selected npcs

That's going to take a lot of coding.

-If you have more than five hired Npcs, the tavern keeper can be used to summon a favorite
    -Can be talked to
    -NPCs gain experience. Once they max out, they can be bought again to restore them back to life as pirates.
    -Can be 'killed' by enemies, explosions and other elements. (Will respawn in about a minute)

Restored Pirate NPCs:
    -CAN BE CUSTOMIZED
    -can be sent on voyages in your possession and do them on your behalf. (It takes 24 real time hours to complete, and players only receive a fraction of the voyages renowned and gold.)

Do all of the work while you go AFK? Never going to happen.

-can complete messages in bottle missions and journal missions on your behalf (takes an hour and players only receive a fraction of the map's renowned and gold.)

Having AI play games for you completely defeats the purpose of gaming.

TLDR; Sails can take damage, Harpoons can be changed to other tools, crews can surrender, Gunpowder has purpose on ships, new tools and weapons, name ships and pirates, Voices, Ship set selection, NPC pirates

TLDR; pretty much no to almost everything,as I predicted. 😅

• @Nyanbonecrush Most are too sudden changes to add now, after 3 years of play... Damage to the sails and being able to modify the frontal tool (harpoon) would break the current comte, would be pointless options as the current system of breaking sails, climbing on the opponent's ship and not letting fix would be what would keep happening.

Same thing for a change in guns, they'd have to change their lives, maybe move them to make sense.
    A pirate has approximately 6 life points, a normal pistol shot takes 3 or half points... it would take a whole gameplay change for a 5 shot gun to make sense in the gampley, or new melee weapon.

One thing I liked and that actually should already be in the game is the possibility to save customizations or at least a "favorites" tab to facilitate, both on ships and on clothes.

Voice selection would be an interesting thing, for people who don't play with a mic it would be a really fun option too.

• @galactic-geek

Even if it is negative feedback, it is very helpful!

"I would worry if it would make it too easy, especially against the larger ships with more sails."
    I too was worried that this would too easy to board, but that was in the back in my mind. That being said... What is the only way to latch on the sails is through a cannonshot and using a cutlass, kinda like how you suggested with the axe? That way it's easier, and would need skill to perform.

"Having more could promote camping up top, which isn't it's purpose."
    It's a double edged sword. on one hand, it would provide the more sensible way to repair sails, but as you stated, very abusable. What if, the nets could catch on fire? That way, there is a way to counter grappling campers. As for the sail damage, I believe that ship chases drag on for too long, and most don't turn to fight. the chased crew can't turn in anything, and the chasers can't catch them. It's kind of a "Necessary evil" kind of idea. The cloth just comes passive with it.

"Depends contextually on what's added. Also, not likely to happen due to customization expansion"
    To the chase cannons, Rowboats could also fall under this category, if it wasn't for them not being readily available.
    Shields, I agree with. Maybe at the cost of weight and speed?
    Fishing nets would catch random fish, and maybe could be baited with 10 baits each to catch a specific fish?
    Bumper, It sounded better in my head. 😅
    Flamethrowers, I was previously unaware to how fast ASHEN SKULLS DROP A PIRATE. Wow! After finding out, I can agree that it is too strong as it is. I think if it was nerfed a few degrees, but kept the gunpowder ammo system for risk and reward, it should smooth it out.

"Also, gunpowder barrels are limited in their use for a reason (balance)...we already have wraithballs that fulfill this purpose and they are considerably much harder to get."
    The difference is availability. Wraith Balls are hard to get, but that's the problem. Pirates get lazy, and don't take the time to get the effects unless it's more accessible. I never got hit by these by a player ship because it is so rare someone finds them. Instead of more holes in the hull, maybe a more straight trajectory, and bigger single hull?

Pretty much the whole surrender system
    "referencing the more horrifying aspects of sailing history (e g., torture/slavery), even temporarily, is not something Rare wants to promote in any sense."

Uh, oh. Even if it was to provide a more peaceful alternative to sunking everyone, I wasn't aware of the slavery end of the surrender aspect, and that is a fair and valid point. I guess it's up to interpretation but if it is controversial, and no one wants to take risks, then I guess this one is a pass. :/

"Not against new melee weapons because I'd like to see a 3 melee vs. 3 firearm setup personally), but I've seen how effective a mobile pirate can be"
    Dagger needs to go back to the drawing board. HOWEVER, This quote gave me an idea: "TARBOMB and ICEBOMB, Throw this on the ground to temporarily make a sticky or Slippery surface. Splash damage to a pirate applies the effect directly"

Twin pistol, Darn. I forgot about that. Less accuracy, and maybe a LT and RT both fire? It can work, but we just need to figure it out.

"why not just add that as a new mechanic (with a timed button press) if your pirate is unarmed?"
    Mainly because fire and Blunderbombs would be questioned and compared. Fusebombs were supposed to be their own thing.

*"Boarding axes are cool, but I think they shouldn't be used to tear off planks, which are just textures once applied anyways. Better to use it to disable the ship's parts like the wheel, mast, and capstan as a personal alternative to chain shot. It would take longer and be loud.

Also, being able to board from any part of a ship with it is too OP. Maybe if it only worked via cannon shot over to a ship?

A slam attack? I maintain that the gravity hammer is still OP in Halo, and I imagine that it would be here too. Perhaps it could be used to bat away throwables?"*

I agree with everything you said here, aside for the slam. If sword dashes gives you insane maneuverability, then the slam should provide some breathing room.

(Pirate Name) "Technically already a thing."
    I blame my faulty explaining. If my Gamertag is Nyanbonecrush, but my Pirate is a Female character I put story and effort into, I want her to have her own identity instead of my own. It think it provides more encouragement for diversity. Censors of course are needed. Her name is Yumi Lancer, BTW. :)

Interactive NPCs
    This idea was conceptual and purely cosmetic to add more life to your ship the same way a pet does. Inspired by Jack following you on your adventures, the shroud breaker being onboard your helm, etc. The npc voyage System is inspired by Ashen key stashes and Warframe's robotic guiding system, basically improving a companion's efficiency and usefulness.

This is very helpful and I will post a revision soon. Thank you, @Galactic-Geek

• @lleorb I suppose sudden change leaves a sour taste. Check my reply to @galactic-geek who touched on similar points.

I didn't even think of extending health system! clever!

• @lleorb said:

A pirate has approximately 6 life points, a normal pistol shot takes 3 or half points... it would take a whole gameplay change for a 5 shot gun to make sense in the gampley, or new melee weapon.

6 life points? I've been sailing for years and this is the 1st I have heard of life points. Try percentages - it's easier!

A pirate has 100% health, and loses 25% per sword slash (4 needed for a kill), 60% for a charge (might be 50%; I can't recall), 50% for a pistol shot; 10% per pellet from the blunderbuss with a total of 10 pellets for a potential 100% depending on how many hit; 70% per EoR shot; 50% per direct hit from a blunderbomb; 30%/60%/90% for each level of charge from the trident; and firebombs and gunpowder barrels vary.

• @metal-ravage

I appreciate this comment a lot! The lasso concept here was inspired from those classic pirate movies where the heroes would be captured to a mast as their villain looms over them like in peter pan. The difference here is that pirates might escape the ropes with a blade.

@metal-ravage

I appreciate this comment a lot! The lasso concept here was inspired from those classic pirate movies where the heroes would be captured to a mast as their villain looms over them like in peter pan. The difference here is that pirates might escape the ropes with a blade.

All tied up, you say?

• @galactic-geek Yup, that's the idea! all of a sudden, they spring out of the ropes and... wait, if the surrender system was in place, they couldn't use their weapons. Grappling hook may be its own thing for this or a prompt?

The flamethrower idea seems to be something Rare considered way back during development. Look at the top right sticky note.

https://i1.wp.com/seaofnews.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/12-2.jpg?resize=700%2C938&ssl=1

• @galactic-geek I do the measurement using a sword hit as a parameter.
    I forgot to put this on.

• There are 6 weak sword hits to kill a player, that is, 3 hits take half life.
    • A strong attack takes 3 life, then 2 dash to kill.
    • A pistol shot are also 3
    • A sniper shot for about 75% health
  • @lleorb said in My Fan-Update for Sea of Thieves (Feedback is welcome):

@galactic-geek I do the measurement using a sword hit as a parameter.
    I forgot to put this on.

• There are 6 weak sword hits to kill a player, that is, 3 hits take half life.
    • A strong attack takes 3 life, then 2 dash to kill.
    • A pistol shot are also 3
    • A sniper shot for about 75% health

It takes only:
    4 slashes to kill a pirate,
    or 2 charges,
    or 2 slashes and 1 charge,
    or 2 slashes and 1 shot,
    or 1 charge and 1 shot,
    or 2 shots (1 w/blunder up close),
    or 2 slashes and 1 bomb,
    or 1 charge and 1 bomb,
    or 1 shot and 1 bomb,
    or 2 bombs,
    or 1 cannonball,
    or 1 gunpowder barrel.

The fact that you think it takes 6 slashes tells me 1 of 2 things - either you suffered from hit-reg, or you didn't do enough recent and/or proper testing (or possibly both).

• @galactic-geek Dude, I've only played sword since beta.

I'm absolutely sure it's not 4 hits, I'm playing, I'll try to check if it's 5 or 6

I saw on youtube, a dash really takes half your life, in the video it indicates that a combo of 3 takes 60% so it would be 5 hits, but I'll test it here

• @lleorb said in My Fan-Update for Sea of Thieves (Feedback is welcome):

I'm absolutely sure it's not 4 hits, I'm playing, I'll try to check if it's 5 or 6

One sword swing has dealt 25% damage since Ships of fortune update

Cutlass Damage Balancing – When attacking with a cutlass, players will now deal more damage per strike. Regular strikes now deal 25 damage, increased from 20. Heavy strikes now deal 60 damage, increased from 50.

I saw on youtube, a dash really takes half your life, in the video it indicates that a combo of 3 takes 60% so it would be 5 hits, but I'll test it here

Before Ships of Fortune update sword used to deal 20% damage per swing so perhaps that was an older video?

• @mrstinkyfart169 said in My Fan-Update for Sea of Thieves (Feedback is welcome):

@blam320 even the suggestion to be able to quick equip ship cosmetics? Bud you're either a troll, or someone who didn't read the post in its entirety. I might not agree with everything OP suggested, but I disagree whole heartedly that their entire list should be dismissed. I think OP not only articulated their ideas very well, but brought some ideas up that would enhance the gameplay experience. You're more than welcome to your opinion and feedback (even though it's negative and not constructive).

Read @galactic-geek's post and come back to me then. You should probably learn what a troll actually looks like.

• @blam320 Read the whole thing yesterday pal, and really enjoyed it. He brought up some good points. The reason I'm talking to you and not him is because he actually explained his reasoning and went in depth. You did not. I could go further but it would probably go against forum guidelines. Feel free to respond or not, but I'm tired of trying to communicate the difference between constructive and unconstructive criticism.

@blam320 Read the whole thing yesterday pal, and really enjoyed it. He brought up some good points. The reason I'm talking to you and not him is because he actually explained his reasoning and went in depth. You did not. I could go further but it would probably go against forum guidelines. Feel free to respond or not, but I'm tired of trying to communicate the difference between constructive and unconstructive criticism.

This whole thing could have been avoided if you had just left me alone, and not accused me of trolling in the first place. Like I said, I didn't want to go step-by-step because it would have been tedious, both for me to write and for everyone else to read. I would not have been concise I would have been detailed, that's how I operate.

I thought I was being polite by not going on a tirade about how bad I think these ideas are.

• @blam320 said in My Fan-Update for Sea of Thieves (Feedback is welcome):

I thought I was being polite by not going on a tirade about how bad I think these ideas are.

You consider it polite to say "Every last one of OP's ideas is irredeemable and should never be added to the game under any circumstances" when some of those ideas are as simple as naming ships, having cosmetic save slots and emotes that two people can participate in?

Views
questioncommunityfeedbackgeneral
1 out of 37