DPI glitching

• Over the past few months crew and zilch have encountered a handful of players that do what we call the dpi glitch. What I want to know, is if it is legal/not considered an exploit/cheat.

By dpi glitch, I mean we have encoubtwred pc players that once the fight goes to the water, they turn their dpi way up on their mouse and begin moving and twitching all over. It makes it quite difficult to hit when it happens. Has anyone else experienced this? And does anyone know of it's ok to do in game?

Views
  • @lt-josh84 afaik it is a reportable offense

• It gets people suspended for a while

It's intentionally undermining of the balanced combat system and as far as I am concerned knowingly cheating

It makes the game worse and it ruins other people's experience and is inexcusable imo

• there's no such thing as "dpi glitching" moving your mouse when you are underwater breaks the animation, you cannot be banned for in game bug so you should be ok

• @str3akstim said in DPI glitching:

there's no such thing as "dpi glitching" moving your mouse when you are underwater breaks the animation, you cannot be banned for in game bug so you should be ok

This isn't accurate information. People have and do face consequences for this when evidence is submitted.

There is a difference between typical evasive maneuvers and what people do with this. They know what they are doing when they are doing it. People know what they are doing when they see it. Those that review the reports know what they are doing when they do it.

Intentional exploiting especially when it clearly negatively affects other players in a combat environment which is designed to be balanced and on equal footing violates the rules and is subject to consequences if they decide to enforce.

• @wolfmanbush well maybe they should stop banning people for "intentional exploiting" and finally start fixing this broken game

@wolfmanbush well maybe they should stop banning people for "intentional exploiting" and finally start fixing this broken game

That's your personal view on the situation but telling people that they cannot face consequences for something that they have/can/do face/d consequences for isn't accurate which not only spreads misinformation but also contributes to encouraging something that is unhealthy and unintended for the environment

• @wolfmanbush they never stated that this is bannable just because rare can’t code water movement properly doesn’t mean people should be punished for a mouse movement

@wolfmanbush they never stated that this is bannable just because rare can’t code water movement properly doesn’t mean people should be punished for a mouse movement

You can contact support if you want a clear answer on the topic.

You can also search similar threads from the forums where people have discussed the consequences they have faced for the topic.

There is discretion involved which means not every case will have the same result but it's factually inaccurate to lead people to believe that they cannot face consequences for it.

and let's be real, if someone were to contact support and lay out exactly what people do and the effects it causes which are not supported by the game, they aren't gonna get the greenlight for it.

People try to reduce this action down to innocent/accidental gameplay and that is not what we are discussing at all. It's intentional exploiting for very obvious reasons.

• @str3akstim I dont do it common xbox. I've had it used against me

• @wolfmanbush no I cant. Im not supposed to go into it, but support is disabled for me and I dont even know why.

• Use of DPI glitching for clear exploitation is a actionable offense. I suggest reporting the player here: https://support.seaofthieves.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new with a clip and their gamertag clearly visible along with a description of what went down.

• i think the confusion is this. there is a problem when people adjust there mouse DPI just for this glitch, but there is also a glitch with default settings. one is frowned upon, the other no one can do anything about.

I have been told i DPI glitch when moving my view between 2 pirates in the water. I haven't touched any settings in this game at all, and don't have any fancy equipment (standard Microsoft mouse). this makes me think people are getting these 2 things confused.

i think a good rules of thumb here is this, if your intentionally do something (anything!) that gives you an unfair advantage, your probably in the wrong. If your just playing the game and someone calls your a "hacker" (hate that term) just ignore them and go on with life.

• DPI glitching can be as simple as moving your mouse around erratically in the water at any modern DPI even one they just play with normally. Mine causes it at 1800. I really haven't tried lower. I use a controller and you can't do it on a controller. I think it is the same thing that lets you flip the map around really fast.

It causes the character to spasm all over the place and looks like they are teleporting. It doesn't do it on land, only in the water.

But if you do that as soon as someone points a gun at you, you're exploiting it and you know it.

So, it's something they need to address somehow.

• @personalc0ffee It happens in water because your character rotation axis is offset while swimming. If it wasn't, you'd be able to spin in 360deg in place underwater and swimming would feel quite different.

I'm not sure how they'd fix this without changing how swimming works or figuring out how to update your player location more often to reduce the teleporting effect.

• @d3adst1ck said in DPI glitching:

@personalc0ffee It happens in water because your character rotation axis is offset while swimming. If it wasn't, you'd be able to spin in 360deg in place underwater and swimming would feel quite different.

I'm not sure how they'd fix this without changing how swimming works or figuring out how to update your player location more often to reduce the teleporting effect.

That's not really for us to worry about.

Our job as players is to report people doing it and not engage with it ourselves.

The rest of it, is a dev problem.

But they will have to address it at some point.

Thanks for that explanation, though.

Views
1 out of 16