How to buy second game for my son to play with me...

• Hi folks, completely new player here. So first off, don't have an XBox. I have Sea of Thieves installed, via Steam, on one computer (that can credibly play the game on very very low graphics settings), which we recently replaced with a newer computer with better CPU/GPU. So we have these two computers, but I'm unsure how to set things up so my son can also play. I gather we'll need a separate XBox/MS account...I can probably figure that out. But from what I understand, Steam won't allow the game to launch from two of our computers simultaneously (reasonably enough I suppose). So would I need to buy the game outside of Steam on the new computer and install it directly? I don't want to set up a new Steam profile generally (would prefer to keep the same account on both computers). I assume there's no licensing it for multiple seats in the same household, we'd just need to buy another copy...

If anyone can confirm the best course for us, would be much obliged! Good sailing.

Views
  • @mahlertime5640 Ahoy matey!

Unfortunately due to how Steam works you won't be able to use the version of the game you purchased via Steam on multiple computers at the same time.

You will either need to purchase a copy via the MS Store and install that or create a new Steam profile and purchase there.

You could also use a GamePass trial to test out the MS Store method. That way you can test that it works as you would like?!

• Thank you! I figured I'd go for the second copy...so now I've purchased two (at least the Microsoft store version is significantly discounted). We'll see how it goes. I think technically it was still bought under my xbox live account...hopefully that is not a sticking point and can be used under my "family" accounts as well (eg my son has one that is linked to mine, for Minecraft). We'll see how it goes!

Views
1 out of 3