Character Creation

• I think we can all agree the characters the game generates are absolutely hideous, and while I do agree that Pirates were most likely not good looking at that time I would rather not have my character look like a guy with a breast implant. And although it is probably very fruitful for Rare to have people buy Pirate Appearance Potions all the time, I'd rather not waste my money and time on those whilst still having a very low chance of getting a character that looks half decent. So for starters perhaps have an option to choose gender, and different sliders to create the general face shape and look of the character.

Views
  • pirate potions came later they weren't a part of the original formula

the intent was to keep it random and unique

how long will that last as the game grows? dunno but I've enjoyed it.

• @wolfmanbush I don't know what's more unique than creating your character, instead of relying on a generator and rerolling 67 times before settling for a decent one that you're not quite sure you like, just to buy another potion two weeks later because you grew tired of the way your character looks. Or maybe that is just me.

• @hhdaxhh said in Character Creation:

@wolfmanbush I don't know what's more unique than creating your character, instead of relying on a generator and rerolling 67 times before settling for a decent one that you're not quite sure you like, just to buy another potion two weeks later because you grew tired of the way your character looks. Or maybe that is just me.

People customizing their characters to what they find appealing is about as unique as taking a look around a high school dance where everyone is clique'd up

it's gonna mostly be a lot of people with not a lot of different looks

• @wolfmanbush A character creation would at least leave the option to choose between having a unique a probably hideous looking character , or go for a good looking one at the expense of uniqueness. Nevertheless, it's still an option not available to us. I'm not saying that with the current character generator its impossible to get a good looking character, but I'd rather not rely on RNG and just make my own.

• @hhdaxhh the only thing I'd change is a filter for the gender...I like it the way it is

• @hhdaxhh

There is nothing unique about creating your own character. Everyone creates the same exact character.

The random generator was more unique. Every since they introduced the potions every single person pretty much looks the same.

Before the potions, there were old players, fat players, buff players, skinny players.

Old and fat players are rare now and everything has the perfect body type players now. With PvP'ers mainly with the skinny body type.

• The random generator produces way more variant on the seas. @xultanis-dragon is right...if it was fully customizable, you'd see maybe 4 or 5 different characters everywhere you go.

I do think it would be neat if they created cheaper potions (maybe 24AC?) where you could just change weight/age of your character via a slider. It'd be funny to feel fatter and slightly older for a season....like IRL

• @xultanis-dragon Doesn't matter, should still leave the player the option to choose what they look like. At least make the potions cheaper, and put a few filters like gender, shape of the body and age. That way at least you keep the random generator while also reducing the time it takes to find one that satisfies you.

• alt text

Still don't regret giving Rare $1

• You keep bringing up potions. If you grow tired of your pirate in two weeks then you have no one to blame but yourself. You picked them. Just spend more time looking for a pirate you like.

• I spent 3 hours looking for a pirate I liked back in the alpha days and have never looked back since.

• @hhdaxhh the IPG is meant to make your pirate out of your comfort zone. Seems to be working as intended.

• characters the game generates are absolutely hideous, and while I do agree that Pirates were most likely not good looking at that time I would rather not have my character look like a guy with a breast implant.

Okie. So what is tells problrm? I keep forgetting if I’m playing a pirate first person pirate game. Or a Barbie dress up.

• I believe the officially preferred term is 'wonky' when it comes to Pirates in the IPG.

• I don't mind them not having the players being able to change the noses etc. What would be nice is if you could say set a hand full of preferences. e.g, fat, old, female character with dark skin from years at sea vs Skinny young male with pale skin who just landed on the island.

It would also be interesting if your looks buffed/nerfed you in some way. For instance, skinny has a smaller hitbox but can not carry as many cannonballs. Although I am not certain how easy that would be to balance.

• @miserenz said in Character Creation:

I don't mind them not having the players being able to change the noses etc. What would be nice is if you could say set a hand full of preferences. e.g, fat, old, female character with dark skin from years at sea vs Skinny young male with pale skin who just landed on the island.

It would also be interesting if your looks buffed/nerfed you in some way. For instance, skinny has a smaller hitbox but can not carry as many cannonballs. Although I am not certain how easy that would be to balance.

good luck balancing that

skilled pvpers can easily sacrifice cannonballs since they are just boarding and slaughtering anyway and now they have a little hitbox

and combat in general is pretty terrible consistency wise as it is adding a bunch of new factors is just going to add more issues

• It would be nice if favouriting at least made it have higher odds for those attributes.

• @miserenz Skinny pirates are easier to hit and easier to hide; fat pirates are the opposite - harder to hit and harder to hide. The reason for the this is because with a skinny pirate, you're going to hit what you're aiming at; with a fat pirate, you might still miss even if you're aiming at them, because their hitbox is actually the same size as a small pirate, and you might be shooting past the hitbox, but still shooting through the fat pirate's girth.

Views
18 out of 19