solo tips for not being robbed

• ok so i posted about the reapers being a problem and got told to "get good" now the problem is i solo, i cant pvp cause a one man sloop is nothing against virtually any larger crew so im curious how exactly can a solo player, do voyages while following maps while watching all of the horrizon while actually making any progress at all?

i cant out run anyone ive tried and all i get told is "get better" which is pointless, i want to enjoy the tall tales and the voyages but when ever i do players come at me when im doing anything at all and just blitz me before i can do anything

Views
  • Against the wind, the sloop can outrun both other ships.
    Sloop vs sloop brings it down to player skill.
    Doing a 180 anchor turn can put a lot of distance between you and a galleon, though judging when to use that is key.
    Harpooning a rock can get you headed in another direction before a galleon can react.
    My favorite tactic is to sail very near another ship and the ones pursuing me will often latch onto them instead.

• @butterybarnacls the problem is the anchor turns when solo is very herd to do cause its getting the anchor up again, and it more problematic when i need to go where the ship is namely outposts, and thats baring players harpooning me or spawing on my boat as is a disterbing occurance

• Most of the commendations happen organically just by playing a lot.

As a new player don't make them your focus. Let them just happen for now, focus on specifics later.

Right now use an emissary and sink skelly ships and megs and do short island visits. No sticking around one place for long.

This will get you some gold but more importantly this will bring you in the experience.

Build a strong foundation of mastery in your surroundings. You will never have to be the best at pvp all you have to do build up your strengths and balance out your weaknesses. This is not a fast process and there is no hurry. Don't self impose time restraints.

I promise you that if you put in the dedication and the time and build yourself up to a well rounded player you will then be able to branch out into other things like events or more competitive pvp or just being able to take care of yourself most of the time.

This won't be something given to you, you will have to earn it but you are completely capable.

Sell regularly. Prioritize loot placement. The faster you sell as a solo the less you will lose if something goes wrong.

Collect any and all tridents they are incredible for everything pve especially as a solo

Efficiency is all you need. Avoid working large islands you want to master the medium sized islands for riddles and dig maps.

Prioritize the small islands for what you do on islands.

If things get uncomfortable for you with other players just bounce servers and get a new one. Nothing you will have is unable to be replaced. Value your time over ego or reactions to unpleasantries because that will lead you to happier and more productive experiences

Set realistic goals and reach them then set more and do the same. One day at a time. Everything falls into place over time it's a waste of your time to look for a destination on any of this just one day one session at a time. It all adds up at your stage. Most things get done so don't worry about it.

You will never stop losing but it won't matter in the end. I have thousands and thousands of hours of experience, thousands of battles and I've seen a lot of things and accomplished a lot of things and I still sink somewhat regularly. I still get absolutely wrecked sometimes. I still lose to skilled crews I still lose to crews I shouldn't lose to and I still lose to bad luck. That doesn't ever go away but it really doesn't matter because you will still make progress and lots of gold. Losing is just scars to show off later at the tavern. Don't let it be more than a couple minutes of frustration and then move forward.

• From your other thread:
    being on the wheel often is the only way to stop the waves from randomly turning your ship and staying on course

Turn your wheel slowly and watch the compass. One handle after the next until your ship stays on course and you are fine.

• @wolfmanbush said in solo tips for not being robbed:
    That doesn't ever go away but it really doesn't matter because you will still make progress and lots of gold.

i want to agree but ive barely made any gold and it gets stupidly dissheartening, losing itself i can learn to pick myself up after but its that i just cant make any money

• @blackout5328
    Maybe give Phuzzy a try. Has has some good tips for you.

• so a side thing for every one how do you keep motivated with frequent sinkings and failures? its a big issue for me, id get sunk or bullied by a huge crew and i'll lose my heart and get disheartened

• @blackout5328 said in solo tips for not being robbed:

@wolfmanbush said in solo tips for not being robbed:
    That doesn't ever go away but it really doesn't matter because you will still make progress and lots of gold.

i want to agree but ive barely made any gold and it gets stupidly dissheartening, losing itself i can learn to pick myself up after but its that i just cant make any money

I contribute in these types of threads because I am proof of what you can do. This is not an opinion it is a fact. You can succeed here and you can succeed as a solo or a participant in open crew. I was terrible when I started and I stayed terrible for quite a while. Most of the time I've been by myself it was how I started and how I'll end. It is possible and if you try you will succeed. Success isn't comparing what you have to what others have it's just putting in the work to efficiently and consistently improve your own situation and accomplish your own goals.

You wanna make some gold? I'll go out on a sloop with you sometime and help out and show you some of how I operate my sessions.

• @blackout5328 sagte in solo tips for not being robbed:

so a side thing for every one how do you keep motivated with frequent sinkings and failures? its a big issue for me, id get sunk or bullied by a huge crew and i'll lose my heart and get disheartened

For me it's the learning curve. Reflecting a few minutes what have I done wrong and next time don't make the same mistakes again.
    When I feel like getting bullied I just quit and start a new server. But this doesn't happen often to me. Don't let them waste your time. And always have only the loot on board you are willing to loose. Today when I get sunk and my progress is lost I just don't care anymore.
    And then there are the times when I am the defender and mange to win the fight and sink the aggressor. This is the best :)

You should take the offer @wolfmanbush made you. From what I've read and seen from him you can learn a lot.

• @lordplinde i would take his offer but working with strangers is a personal problem of mine but thats on me.

when it comes to learning from the past sometimes i just cant see where i went wrong if i even did

there should simply be a change server button personally cause quiting a rejoining gets so tedious

i would take his offer but working with strangers is a personal problem of mine but thats on me.

when it comes to learning from the past sometimes i just cant see where i went wrong if i even did

there should simply be a change server button personally cause quiting a rejoining gets so tedious

no biggie. I can help with specifics via the forum when problems arise where you can be comfortable. Strategies, help with riddles, tips, trick, whatever. as you play more and run into specific issues just let me know and I'll probably be able to help with information

also I give away my sloop and the treasure I don't feel like running back and forth to vendors by just opening up my crew when I'm done with a session and leaving when a name joins. If you ever want to take over my sloop that'll have tridents and storage crates and random treasure etc and usually emissary quests just let me know. I can invite you and leave as soon as your name joins so you can have a sloop ready to go and a bit of treasure to turn in and high value emissary quests that you can do. Just close the crew once you load in and it's yours

• Some good advice in here already. I'll add a couple of things:

• Keep an eye on the horizon. Be downright paranoid. Ships are darker on the horizon than anything else, so they can be spotted pretty easily from the sloop crows nest. Make sure you always know whats going on out there, and if you see a ship, make sure you always know what it's doing. If it starts sailing toward you, assume a fight is coming.

• use line of sight to your advantage as much as possible, especially if you're fleeing from another ship. As soon as you break their line of sight, turn in an unexpected way, etc.

• One way to get out of a fight (provided you spotted the threat from a distance) is to load up a rowboat with all your loot and supplies, then row to the nearest outpost to sell, effectively turning your sloop into a decoy (this is best when not running emissary, since the approaching crew will likely sink your ship out of spite)

• Shooting the ship's bell will make it ring softly, allowing you to practice EoR and Pistol effectively.

I understand that being told to 'get good' isn't what you want to hear, but this game was designed to be a skill based experience, which means (aside from bugs and glitches) the best advice out there to improve your experience with this game.

• Aside from the basics you can also TRY talking to other crews.

Sometimes they might respond and let you be. Especially if you are doing a tall tale

But get used to being sunk. I still remember some of my biggest losses in this game.... It isn't a fun feeling when it happens, but it happens to everyone at some point

• @paparug420
    I will always remember soloing Athena emissary quest and getting sunk when my feet touched the ground from the outpost. I watched the horizon... in only one direction 🤦‍♂️

• I'm too lazy to read over everything, but here goes:

Time of day is important. I get harrassed more during the day than late night/early morning play. (Florida timezones)

Emissary during the middle of the month. 1st and 4th week of the month the Reapers are trying to get ahead or catch up. Get at least 750k if you want to finish top tier.

There are no new emissary rewards if you have the top tier 5x and all cosmetics unlocked at least until. Sept 1. Don't bother emissary if you're in this group for the next month unless you're willing to fight.

Keep an eye on the horizon. You will learn the difference between skellies and players. Mostly skellies are a LOT more obvious lol.

Sell frequently. May not make as much, but small somethings are better than big nothings.

Everyone is your foe no matter how many "We're Friendly""Truce""Mercy""Everything is OK" they throw. Especially if they accept your Alliance offer and don't immediately haul aft.

Put on pretty gear and mix your sets. Be wary of any one sporting Legend gear.

Basically? Play your pirate and your roleplay. Be cautious of anyone who wants to get too close, but consider those that give extra cautious.

• @pithyrumble said in solo tips for not being robbed:

It's too random out there for either of these to matter imo. I've used default sloop and never turned off my lights my entire time playing. It hasn't really changed anything one way or another. Hostile people are just hostile typically.

What I tend to not like about narratives like these for new players is that they instill fear in their foundation. Fear and arrogance are what send more pirate's to their doom than anything else. Fear causes panic and performance suffers. The legend thing has spread rampant arrogance throughout the less skilled part of the community and a lot of fear where fear should have no place.

What new players need to realize is that anything can happen to anyone out there and gear and titles and cosmetics don't really change that. Don't fear reapers, don't fear legends, don't fear cosmetics or titles.

To get better a pirate needs to be able to identify within moments of close interaction what the skill levels are so they can adapt quickly (This allows people to pick their battles with experience which leads to more wins and less losses) How did an approaching ship angle? Did they angle well and shoot off quickly? are they heading into your broadside? how are they doing on sail management? how did they sail over? on and on and on. That's what has to be the focus because anyone wearing anything can be skilled or not skilled. Hours in this game don't always end up meaning skill in combat and cosmetic stuff doesn't mean much of anything in reality.

Imo anything cosmetic related is a waste of time for people to focus on. They need to become very self aware about their abilities and then get confident in them and push out fear and intimidation.

Do this and they will end up with a lot of wins they currently don't think are possible and a lot of reaper flags turned into the hideout.

• @blackout5328 Don't listen to anyone out there that says you can outrun larger ships. You can maintain distance for a time, but you will never move fast enough away from them if they are right on top of you already. Yes the sloop is faster directly against the wind, but usually the usefulness of going against the wind is quickly undone once the larger ship gets some wind.

My best advice as a long time solo slooper is to be picky with your voyages. Don't do OOS on big islands, and go for the far away Xs first for gold hoarders when the coast looks clear, or move your ship around the island with you.

Running merchant is also decent for money. You are a bit slow, so I'd say solo brig is almost better, but its easy to turn in and relatively low effort to get grade 5.

Always fly offer alliance, sometimes this is enough to prevent players from outright attacking you, and be as diplomatic as you can, even it it means giving up potential loot to be part of an alliance. Example) you start a skull fort but a brig shows up. Offer to let them have the loot in exchange for alliance.

• @calicorsaircat
    You can outran larger ships. We did it yesterday. Use rocks and islands for sharp turns and getting out of sight. Against the Wind you get your distance, the sharp turns maybe will turn into a mistake by the chaser. Sail into the storm or hope for some fog. You can sail away.
    But you are right. When someone only sails against the wind the map is too small for getting out of sight.

@lordplinde i would take his offer but working with strangers is a personal problem of mine but thats on me.

A stranger is a friend you haven't met yet.

• @calicorsaircat Completely disagree. Galleons are easy to outrun and lose in a sloop. Brigs can be difficult (due to the cross wind advantage), but entirely possible. The hardest ones to shake though are the ones that are the same build (sloop vs sloop), and that all comes down to skill, strategy, and sometimes a bit of luck from the environment.

• @dlchief58 said in solo tips for not being robbed:

@calicorsaircat Completely disagree. Galleons are easy to outrun and lose in a sloop. Brigs can be difficult (due to the cross wind advantage), but entirely possible. The hardest ones to shake though are the ones that are the same build (sloop vs sloop), and that all comes down to skill, strategy, and sometimes a bit of luck from the environment.

just depends how good the attackers are

a good crew with a larger ship is gonna operate those sails well and zig zag enough to eventually get that chain shot and then it's a wrap because of the pvp skill difference and because a lot of sloopers panic by being chased and make little/big sailing mistakes that give the more skilled players the chance and opportunity to make up some ground and get that shot needed for a chain/board

• @wolfmanbush said in solo tips for not being robbed:

@pithyrumble said in solo tips for not being robbed:

It's too random out there for either of these to matter imo. I've used default sloop and never turned off my lights my entire time playing. It hasn't really changed anything one way or another. Hostile people are just hostile typically.

What I tend to not like about narratives like these for new players is that they instill fear in their foundation. Fear and arrogance are what send more pirate's to their doom than anything else. Fear causes panic and performance suffers. The legend thing has spread rampant arrogance throughout the less skilled part of the community and a lot of fear where fear should have no place.

What new players need to realize is that anything can happen to anyone out there and gear and titles and cosmetics don't really change that. Don't fear reapers, don't fear legends, don't fear cosmetics or titles.

ut.

Legend gear is usually hostile in my experience. And wearing it will attract hostility as well. Again, in my experience as a generally non hostile pirate. Ashen set is another one I find to be particularly hostile. The Parrot set was bad for a while too lol. Plain sailors are the worst tho 😇

It may not be a guarantee of an outcome but I keep an extra eye out for certain sets and make efforts to avoid them further.

• @blackout5328 I’ve played in a Galleon Crew and Solo, and yes, Solo slooping is definitely “hard mode” but can also be rewarding when you pull something off. Here are a few of my tips:

1. Play differently. 9/10, you will sink to a larger crew if half of them are competent pirates. So naval battles can and should involve sailing around and through obstacles, luring ships into world events, and passing by inactive forts. Hop off (if you have a good lead into the wind), then spam them with chain shots and firebombs.

2. Hide and stash your loot. There are plenty of nooks and crannies you can tuck your plunder away. I won’t name them here, but find a cave or a trap-laden pathway, maybe an underwater cave? Even if they sink you somewhere else, you know where to come back and retrieve your loot.

3. Practice boarding and firebombing. I’ve been able to deter some (but not all) pursuits by consistently burning and boarding. Toss firebombs on deck and grab the ladder! Even if they kill you boarding, you’ve distracted them. If you do this enough, they may break off and find something else to do.

Just some ideas, they may not always work but keep trying, and you may find new tactics.

Yes, you could always server jump, but I believe part of the fun of gaming is learning and getting better for it.

Good luck - If I see you on the Seas, I’ll help you out!

• @blackout5328

Never sail with more loot than you are willing to lose, regardless of how good you will become at some point you will make a mistake and when solo a single mistake at the wrong time can simply mean you sink. Go and sell in between, don't be greedy.

Regardless of what you are doing every so often Halt! Seek high ground and look around. Being unprepared for your interactions with others is a guaranteed demise.

Park properly is one of the most important aspects of being solo. How to do this is fairly simple, when you arrive raise your sails this can be done to come to an halt. If you used your anchor no problem, raise the sails and then raise the anchor. Place your ship parallel to the island, which means facing to open water with the added benefit of able to harpoon items on shore. The primary thing is to face open waters! This allows you to board your ship, drop sails and be moving. Reposition the ship at larger islands to be near you at any point so you can get to it quickly when you spot sails heading in your direction and additionally consider visibility from open waters if you can minimize that it reduces your risks.

Learn the sailing mechanics. Like what is known as dummy sails, point the sails straight if you do not have full bellow on the sloop. Anchor turns, how to make tight turns between rock formations, breaking line of sight to then change direction and a whole bunch of planning a head. Going in a straight line against the wind is a great move to gain distance, but should never be your only objective. Additionally do learn the wind benefits and flaws of the other ships, there are beautiful pictures people have made explaining this or videos you can look up. If they are not sailing optionally use that to your advantage.

Learn to do drive by sells, this is the act of passing by outposts and even the reapers hide out in short proximity; jump off with a piece of loot while your ship sails on, rush to the merchant and sell, then rush back to your mermaid to adjust course. If you learn to do this in combination with the above you can sell anything you place value in once in chase.

Learn to use the environment around you to your advantage. Rock formations, islands and even land based cannons. One of the strongest weapons in your arsenal is to get on a land based cannon be it in a tower or just one on the bigger islands, smash them with a anchor ball or chain shots: immobilizing them, follow up with as many cannonballs you can, then shoot over and delay them as much as possible. Another one is using the fact that you are ahead of them, try boarding and anchoring or even better pick up a keg* in one of the barrel formations and blow them up. Keep in mind you don't need to sink your opponents, you just need to delay them, make them work for it and get enough of an advantage to reach the next outpost to sell. Eventually most pirates will give up or you won't have any treasure to steal.

*I personally never carry kegs when solo, but it is a double edge strong weapon. Judge for yourself if you are willing to take the risk.

Movement is your biggest friend when solo! Standing still is your worst enemy, stay active, become better at the voyages and be as efficient as you can be. The quicker you are the less risks you take. If you want to PvE, become good at it.

Priorities are to be made, your ships safety and the items on board are more important than any item you have on the island, any voyage you have. As in literally drop anything you are holding and sprint to your ship at the sign of danger, be ready to take off or fight! If an area is heavily trafficked maybe move to a different one, abandon the voyage and put down a new one. One of the most favorable areas to PvE is the Roar, it is more challenging with the environment yet has additional benefits as well. I have sunk so many crews even solo, because they are to greedy!

Manage your own risks, what is acceptable for you or me are very different. Emissary flags attract more attention, doing world events attract more attention and so on.

Think out of the box, sometimes the best option is to be creative. Hide your treasure on an island in a bush or cave, while you sail off with your ship as a distraction... fight, sink far away and return to pick it up. Use a rowboat with your loot when you break line of sight have your ship sail off in one direction while you row away in another. There are no guarantees these or any tactic will work, but they do at times.

Above all, remember that this is a game. You will lose, you will win... just try having fun regardless of the outcome. Try out new things, don't write yourself off to quickly or underestimate what you as a solid can do! If you have nothing to lose, just try and do something you might not otherwise... in the end experience is your only true growth's in the game.

While I have soloed pretty much everything in this game, I still advice people to also sometimes to get a crew. You can use the LFG, Discord, Open crews or even the forums to find crews to join. Not only does it make it easier, while learning getting tips or even just seeing others play and following their lead can help. I understand the attraction of playing solo, but it is and remain the most difficult thing to do... even a duo on a sloop will feel much easier.

Good luck and happy sailing.

• All the suggestion above are good and helpful.
    But I have a different look at this. When I started I followed similar path to this. Never keep a lot of loot on ship, park safely and so on. But at some point I just realized that maybe I just need to go and put me in fighting situation. That changed everything. I started to be the one that engaged first. Yes I sunk a lot and if you try this you will too. But after some time you will get better. And then those bigger crews won't be scary anymore. You will win more fights than you loose.
    It's a hard way to learn but solo sloop is a hard mode on its own. Maybe just give it a shot, start by other sloops try to sink them. It work good it doesn't, no worries, you have nothing to lose only to gain - experience and maybe a treasure or two.
    At some point you will meet other friendly player and will be in choice of helping or sinking them, do a wise choice and remember yourself in there position.
    And this way your progress towards gold will be slow, but towards ship control and combat will increase rapidly. After getting at a point you feel confident you can start to worry about money making, but it's easy if you know how to protect yourself.
    Good luck and have a safe winds matey.

• @pithyrumble i tend to run with the fearless bone hunter stuff cause i like the look, a buddy of mine has the imperial soveragn and my gf has the wild rose stuff

• @blackout5328

tbh I wouldn't particularly alert towards those if you were sailing past me. I think the Obsidian set is bad luck too lol

• so i was soloing in a sloop and was chased by a galieon and tried to lose them through rocks i only just fit through i look back and the galeion passes easilly, we're against the wind and they out ran me no idea what i did wrong here

so i was soloing in a sloop and was chased by a galieon and tried to lose them through rocks i only just fit through i look back and the galeion passes easilly, we're against the wind and they out ran me no idea what i did wrong here

Rocks can look deceptively close and it's easy to think they'd stop a galleon when they won't - due to the sloping angle on the rocks and the galleon's hull.

If you're going to try a similar tactic, I would advise thinking more about depth than width. Galleons and brigs sit lower in the water and get stuck/scrape more in shallow waters - be that shorelines or coral reefs.

My two favourite "trap" areas are through Reaper's Hideout and the west side of N13 (uncharted island). Get to know where the safe routes through these two and they'll become very effective against bigger ships. You can also use the shallow waters around islands (again, get to know the better ones for this). Just be careful if you decide to go around the island that they don't fire someone off to intercept you.

• If they are close i dont flee but i sail in their direction because they cant turn quikly i sail past them and guard the ladder. Or use ccb to defend.
    Now i gain distance while they turn. Then i sail against the wind and they give up.

If they do follow i sail past fort tower and jump off with chainshot and fire and i use the tower to stop them then return to my sloop.

Sail past fleetbattles or other skellyboats or players so they fight or chase those and i can escape.

so i was soloing in a sloop and was chased by a galieon and tried to lose them through rocks i only just fit through i look back and the galeion passes easilly, we're against the wind and they out ran me no idea what i did wrong here

Well what you do in those cases is watch for when they go through the rocks, then change your course dramatically while they are between them so they have little maneuverability to adjust to your course corrections. Don't depend on straight line navigating, make sure you are using the environment and your advantages to the fullest whenever you can.

Don't depend upon straight line navigating into the wind, as all that will do is eventually force you off the map. Use it to gain distance, but also use the rest of the environment to hinder them and to change your heading from time to time - especially of it gets you close enough to do a drive by sell. Also fog and the storm can be your friend - sailing into those and then pulling a sharp turn can lose an pursuer easily if you have the space to pull it off out of their sight.

Views
1 out of 33