The Marooned Mariner by Metal Ravage

• The Marooned Mariner

(based on the Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner)

Water, water for days
    Nor a drop to drink

S.T.Coleridge

I have been working on this idea of introducing one of the most significant characters of nautical legends to SOT.
    In my vision the Marooned Mariner can be introduced as a world event; just a rowboat adrift with only one pale passenger, yet
    differently from other rowboats this one is barnacle ridden and displays a makeshift torch that can be spotted in the distance.

The crew that spots the Marooned Mariner has the ability to dock the rowboat on their ship in order to rescue him, they do so
    at their risk and peril for the curse of the undead follows him.

Aboard the rowboat there is the diary of the Marooned Mariner where his lore is displayed. The Marooned Mariner and his crew were
    searching for buried treasure following an old treasure map. After many hardships the crewmates blamed the Mariner and his map
    for their bad luck, so they put the map in a green bottle and tied it around his neck. The crew forced the Mariner on a rowboat and
    marooned him adrift without paddles or provisions.

If rescued and taken aboard, a skeleton ship (this is the previous crew of the Marooned Mariner, corrupted by the undead curse)
    will spawn next to the players' vessel and will follow them till a nearby outpost. Once at the outpost the Marooned Mariner will
    take off the green bottle from his neck and deliver it to the rescuing crew. Inside the players will find a treasure map that
    conveniently is located at the same outpost.

Hopefully you will like this idea

Please tell me what you think in the comments

Views
    fan artcommunityevents
  • The curse it lives on in their eyes
    The mariner he wished he'd die
    Along with the sea creatures
    But they lived on, so did he

• @metal-ravage I think this will work well as a TT, if adapted properly.

• Awesome. Have an upvote. (I don’t know why some others comment positively and yet don’t upvote).

So does the skellie ship attack? It feels really cool and I’m sure it’s faithful to the original story. But I kinda want a twist on it. I want more to happen that introduces an interesting gameplay element.
    Even when pirates of the Caribbean used books as source material, they did their own spin on it. I guess I’m asking how can it be even more SOT?

Either way, it’s be cool to see stuff like this integrated.

I’m still waiting for them to add an Albatros that hangs out around your ship, and you have to stop your trigger happy friends from shooting it, or you start getting “Rare’d” even harder than usual :)

• @metal-ravage

Very cool idea!

• @metal-ravage It sounds absolutely amazing! I can see it fits the world of Sea of Thieves perfectly.

A mysterious pale old stranger that maybe would give you his map in a bottle only if youll take him to his destination?
    SoT taxi for weird hobos :)
    On your journey there youll get attacked by either skeleton ships or ghost ships (not both) sounds like an overall easy feature to implement and fits the narrative of sailing around to encounter players and PvE events.
    What I like the most that it dosent have to be part of a Tall Tale or a crazy event, just another layer of immersive content into the world. Just a nice random event to encounter.. Love it.

• I could also see this as a Tall tale. Maybe instead of a Skeleton ship it could be a ghost/phantom ship. Like the new npcs. And the treasure map could send you to a little island close or inside the shroud.

And if you complete the TT 100% you unlock a 14min long shanty from Iron Maiden 🤘

• @faceyourdemon Thank you, that was exactly what I had in mind; to implement a new world event that will add to SOT more depth. Furthermore the treasure in the end can be random from a mysterious box to a foul skull and that represents the twist in the story leaving us with the question was the voyage worth it for the reward or just for the experience?

Views
fan artcommunityevents
7 out of 8