1-Player Ship Concept: The Gunboat

• Dinghy

The Dinghy is the smallest solo-boat-concept so far. Whereas the Gunboat and Longboat are smaller versions of the existing player-ships, the Dinghy is basically a rowboat with a sail.

dinghy fullview

Thanks to @braien-jaemz who suggested this design and provided input into what should be put on it.

Layout

dinghy layout

For navigation, it has a map, sail, rudder and oars. The oars can be used to stop the boat, perform precise movements or to assist the sail. There are to compasses: One for when you are using the rudder and one for when you are rowing.

The Dinghy has no anchor. As mentioned, you can use the oars to stop, but there is no reliable way to keep it stopped. You can beach it like a rowboat, but in my experience, rowboats don’t tend to stay beached.

It has two mixed supply barrels, an ammo box and a weapons locker. The flag box sits at the base of the mast.

It can reach almost any place a rowboat can reach, like the inner rings of Shark Bait Cove and the bay of Dagger Tooth. Just stay clear of storms – those would be utterly terrifying on a Dinghy.

dinghy ocean animation

Sails

For the sails I went with @joelmuzz suggestion and used a trapezoidal shape. They work just like regular square sails, but should have a distinct silhouette. Also no animation for the sails, because we all know how square sails work.

Combat

Just don’t. The Dinghy has no cannons. It sinks in moments. You can fall off very easily.

With the Dinghy, you have to be stealthy. Due to its small size, it is very easy to hide. If you have to sink someone, your best bet would be surprising your enemies with a keg. But you have to make sure they sink from it. Your Dinghy can not survive their retaliation.

All random encounters would have to be disabled for the Dinghy. You simply have no way to defend yourself.

Conclusion

All models renders can be found here: Link

Thank you for your time. I am looking forward to your feedback!

Personal Opinion

Personally, the Dinghy is not my favourite design. The Longboat still holds that spot. For a solo-ship, I want a true ship with everything the other ships have. The Dinghy does not fulfil this.

I don’t really see why you should choose the Dinghy over the Sloop. The Sloop is better in almost every regard. Especially if you pick up a rowboat.

And if we assume that most solo-players would choose the Dinghy regardless, it might actually hurt other players. Dinghies have to stay hidden, which would make the servers feel a lot more empty.

Views
fan artfeedback
70 out of 71