Sea of Thieves is too dark in hdr

• i bought a 4k tv and idk while other games looks great with hdr option on xbox series x,sea of thieves doesent .sometimes i have the feeling it looked better on my old small tv

Views
  • @weedstar-deluxe yeah, it's pretty dark...I turned HDR off for a little while just for SoT...turned it on again and highered the HDR brightness ingame to 1100...some things are a bit bright in daytime, but nighttime is fine now, still dark, but not like a black screen...maybe try that, or turn it off if you don't like it

• @schwammlgott ye i try turn it off maybe its better :)

• I personally think it's the best looking HDR game out there. And that means I think it uses the setting better than Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, the latest Gears and many others.

Are you sure you're setting it up correctly? I first played Sea of Thieves in an old TV without HDR and the first time I switched, I noticed the contrast was too strong too, but I balanced it out and now it looks perfect. Much better than the washed out look without the HDR on.

• same here :(

• @weedstar-deluxe
    Yes, some of my family occasionally plays Sea of Thieves on console, with a 4k tv... My goodness it is so awful. There's no setting to turn off HDR that I can see, and if there was it's hidden in a deeper menu.
    Even then, I don't want to turn off HDR to play SoT, then turn it back on to do anything.
    In what world is HDR mode "turn the screen darker and more orange?"

• I must say that I quite like the HDR on PC, though I don't use it for one simple reason: The Wilds sky colour is way too yellowy green compared to SDR. The other regions look fantastic, IMO.

While the shadows can look very dark, being HDR, you should be able to make out more details among the black areas - assuming it's calibrated correctly and your room isn't too bright.

I switch it back on every now and then just to look at the stunning vistas, but that Wilds colouration really puts me off.

• when I used on PC settings from my videocard, then it was too dark and too bright at day. When i set programs to use it`s settings, this changed and it is fine now.
    I ha to go to
    nvidia control panel:

• display - adjust desktop color settings
    • other applications control settings
      This fixed problem for me. I have 1050 nvidia.
  • @da-german420 I find plying without HDR makes the game ultra dark. With HDR it looks great at night. You adjusted the HDR slider in video settings?

• @liberance what settings did you find work the best for you for SoT on HDR?

• @wyvernkraehe said in Sea of Thieves is too dark in hdr:

@liberance what settings did you find work the best for you for SoT on HDR?

It depends entirely on your TV (if you're playing on TV, that is).

I play on a Samsung Q60R. It has backlight bleed issues, but that happens to every QLED. The HDR looks beautiful otherwise.

• First off, I turned off all special features like auto-contrast, motion smoothing and all that nonsense. You know, the first thing everyone has to do with any new TV. Originally, this was enough to make the game look good.
    • A couple of weeks ago though, for whatever reason, the HDR stopped working right. I'm not sure what happened, but the colors became oversaturated and the exposure was all over the place. It looked like what most people complain about when it comes to HDR issues. I eventually managed to solve this by disabling Game Mode and turning on a feature called Intelligent Mode that comes with Samsung TVs. That fixed the saturation and exposure.
    • Then it's just a matter of adjusting the in-game HDR settings bar until the brightness is to your liking.

It's hard to say what settings might work best for each person, as there are quite a few things that determine the look of HDR. After having tried the game on a Full HD TV with no HDR, a 4K QLED with HDR10+ and a 4K OLED with Dolby Vision, what I can say is that I think Dolby Vision provides the best look, although it's just marginally better than HDR10. And most of what determines whether the game will look good or not is the screen settings and not the in-game menu bar.

• It's got unique lighting when it's dark it's freaking dark!

I only use Bright/Light Wood decks.

Like the Shark Hunter hull. You get the black on the outside but bright clean wood in the deck and interior.

Makes a huge difference.

Inky Kraken? I can't even find the stairs to the second deck! Same with the jack sparrow ship.

• @glannigan said in Sea of Thieves is too dark in hdr:

Inky Kraken? I can't even find the stairs to the second deck! Same with the jack sparrow ship.

Then something is not right with either your screen or your configuration. Inky Kraken is one of my favorite sets and I can see everything just fine when I use it.

Views
1 out of 13