Griefers ships spawning back too close in adventure

• I think I’m about done with the game until this is fixed, several of the homies agree.
    My problem is the people that spawn in a vanilla ship and sail around just to grief, they don’t plunder or gain loot they just show up and play like they’re in arena

The main issue:
    Their ships spawn back far too close, it’s completely unfair. Example; tonight me and 3 friends are on a galleon trying to complete a red skull fort and this same brig came back five times just to grief us. We sank them each time but what kind of balance is it when a ship can just spawn back in with more supplies over and over again and race back to where we are? It’s boring fighting the same people again and again because they can just spawn back two islands over and keep bothering us.

IMO if you get your ship sunk by the same players more than once the game should send you to a new server. This doesn’t even apply to just skull forts, none of us have bothered to do a tall tale since the game was new just because people will spawn back and grief us over and over. I can’t be the only one facing this issue, I understand having your ship spawn back close to where you sank so you have a chance to regain some of your potential lost loot but after five times it’s just straight up griefing. If I sink someone more than once I shouldn’t have to keep dealing with them.

Views
    feedbackgeneralcommunitywindows 10events
  • They weren’t griefing they were fighting for the loot. I assume you’re talking about the Fort of Fortune which is the most valuable world event.

I don’t want to be kicked from a server if maybe I’m doing an Athena stack then a Meg and a player ship attacks at the same time and sinks me. I’d like to able to go back, sink that ship and get my loot back.

However, spawning people with no resources after they’ve sunk is the best solution. It’s an easy fix and people can’t keep coming back with resources unless they actually look for them.

• I am highly doubtful they spawned only two islands away from you, when you scuttle your ship you spawn near where you sunk, however if you sunk them or dealt damage before they may have scuttled, they always spawn on the other end of the map. If they happened to have wind back to you that's nothing you can control.

Additionally, it isn't griefing if they wanted what you had. It's called being a pirate. They can try as many times as they want, it's being determined and seeing if you can find a way to outdo a crew that is better than you. If you opt into a Fort of Fortune you are opting into the most intense pvp this game has to offer. Server hoppers are looking for people who are doing them so they can get easy loot and constant pvp.

• I do not agree with the tone of your post, the "griefer" language especially.

That being said, there absolutely should be some type of penalty for sinking multiple times. There has been many suggestions as to how to handle this. My favorite combination would be:

first sink: normal randomized spawn
    second sink: spawn as far away as possible
    third sink: spawn as far away as possible with no supplies
    fourth sink: server merge

On this subject, what is the justification for the "alliance spawns" that boats get? I've never understood why being in an alliance gives you the ability to spawn very close to another alliance boat.

• @zherron-vorse I watched them spawn back over and over again, my whole crew did. It took them less than 5 minutes to spawn back and sail straight back.

If I sink you five times you should be penalized and sent to a new server.

• @sammyr0cks said in Griefers ships spawning back too close in adventure:

I do not agree with the tone of your post, the "griefer" language especially.

That being said, there absolutely should be some type of penalty for sinking multiple times. There has been many suggestions as to how to handle this. My favorite combination would be:

On this subject, what is the justification for the "alliance spawns" that boats get? I've never understood why being in an alliance gives you the ability to spawn very close to another alliance boat.

“ The practice is famous in online games and aims to simply disturb other players, whether they are teammates or opponents. The Griefer is the player who does not care about the victory or the consequences of his actions. It disrupts the fun of other users with attitudes like spamming the chat with unnecessary messages or harming your own team”

The literal definition of grief, it’s absolutely ridiculous that I have to keep fighting the same crew the entire time I’m trying to do a task

• @lorddeath347107 said in Griefers ships spawning back too close in adventure:

@sammyr0cks said in Griefers ships spawning back too close in adventure:

“ The practice is famous in online games and aims to simply disturb other players, whether they are teammates or opponents. The Griefer is the player who does not care about the victory or the consequences of his actions. It disrupts the fun of other users with attitudes like spamming the chat with unnecessary messages or harming your own team”

The literal definition of grief, it’s absolutely ridiculous that I have to keep fighting the same crew the entire time I’m trying to do a task

Sounds like they were trying to sink you to do the fort, so they cared about victory in that by sinking you they could complete the fort and take the loot. That's intended gameplay and not the definition of griefing you presented. Another option would've been to sail away and hide out nearby and let them finish it, then you could've come in and sank them to grab the loot without the constant threat of them coming back for more.

• I understand what griefing is. They are not griefing, they are attempting to sink you.

• 1: Not griefing
    2: Bad idea

@sammyr0cks said in Griefers ships spawning back too close in adventure:

Source? Context matters, and the context for SoT doesn't match that of other more traditional video games - therefore your official definition may not apply.

• Not being funny but i would,nt call that griefing thats just being persistent to be fair

I think I’m about done with the game until this is fixed, several of the homies agree.
    My problem is the people that spawn in a vanilla ship and sail around just to grief, they don’t plunder or gain loot they just show up and play like they’re in arena

The main issue:
    Their ships spawn back far too close, it’s completely unfair. Example; tonight me and 3 friends are on a galleon trying to complete a red skull fort and this same brig came back five times just to grief us. We sank them each time but what kind of balance is it when a ship can just spawn back in with more supplies over and over again and race back to where we are? It’s boring fighting the same people again and again because they can just spawn back two islands over and keep bothering us.

IMO if you get your ship sunk by the same players more than once the game should send you to a new server. This doesn’t even apply to just skull forts, none of us have bothered to do a tall tale since the game was new just because people will spawn back and grief us over and over. I can’t be the only one facing this issue, I understand having your ship spawn back close to where you sank so you have a chance to regain some of your potential lost loot but after five times it’s just straight up griefing. If I sink someone more than once I shouldn’t have to keep dealing with them.

Spawn camp them until they leave, it's the only solution!

• Many of you are mistaking this post as some sort of “me asking for peoples opinions”
    Personally I don’t care what any of the people on this forum think lol, this was an issue in the early stages of the game and now it’s an issue again. The devs need a wake up call plain and simple.
    It’s grief, anyone that says otherwise is just wrong. Games broken when this happens and any normal person would agree.

Adios
    Not checking this forum again so cry all you want in your replies

• Bit odd you'd post your opinion on a public forum designed to foster discussion and not want or expect discussion, but different strokes for different folks I suppose.

• While you may not care what I say...but I kinda agree with you, that said its a open sandbox pirate game, so peeps can play however they want which is part of the greatness of the game IMO....not that you care just saying.

• @zherron-vorse

I am highly doubtful they spawned only two islands away from you, when you scuttle your ship you spawn near where you sunk, however if you sunk them or dealt damage before they may have scuttled, they always spawn on the other end of the map.

I believe the scuttle exploit still works after you've taken damage. I heard it even works after you've already heard the "sink" sound. It's a problem..

Many of you are mistaking this post as some sort of “me asking for peoples opinions”
    Personally I don’t care what any of the people on this forum think lol, this was an issue in the early stages of the game and now it’s an issue again. The devs need a wake up call plain and simple.
    It’s grief, anyone that says otherwise is just wrong. Games broken when this happens and any normal person would agree.

Adios
    Not checking this forum again so cry all you want in your replies

This is the OP trying to save face in the face of defeat. He now knows he was wrong, but is still trying to act all tough and in control - which he is, of course, not. This discussion is at its end.

• @randaddy-ii Recently I learned the feeling of people disagreeing with you in this forum XD
    When it comes to the core of your message though: I agree with you.

The code, as far as I remember it at least, states that you are allowed to come back ONCE!
    If you sink the second time to the same people within about an hour you SHOULD be immediately server merged.

At the moment though, the only thing you can effectively do if someone decides to grief you is to portal-hop,
    which is already MUCH better than how it used to be.

• @randaddy-ii What happened to "Not checking this forum again so cry all you want in your replies"? if the game is that bad to you: don't play it:) or switch server types. I don't experience this on pc servers nearly as much as I did on Xbox only.

• @randaddy-ii Wait a moment ... this was posted a YEAR ago XD ?!?!

• @randaddy-ii Though I will say I agree with the forced server merge after a second or third consecutive sink. It is annoying sinking a crew 5 times over and it gets easier every time you do. then again my best SOT story comes from a whole server coming after us 6 times. its a double-edged sword

• @Randaddy-II per our rules: Be respectful. Be courteous. And Keep it appropriate. Your message was removed as it violated these conducts and this is an official warning to please remember to follow the rules you agreed to when you joined this space.

By commenting on this thread, you had revived a thread that ended about a year ago. I'm locking it down now as it had no purpose to be revived other than instigating people who commented.

Have a good night and may the seas be in your favor.

Views
feedbackgeneralcommunitywindows 10events
1 out of 23