Losing Tall Tales Progress isn't a toxicity issue - its a bad design choice

• Losing every clue, map and item you received during a Tall Tales quest because you somehow got killed is annoying. sure; but this has nothing to do with toxicity.
    Why are these maps, clues, relics treated as ordinary loot to begin with? Players should be able to attack you normally, get other loot they find useful and the tall tales items should disappear or get cloned for you later. They should respawn either at the tavern table when you wake up, or at your new ship when you are spawned back at an outpost. Dark Souls does this, why can't Sea of Thieves?
    This isn't a player issue because the same happened to me when an NPC Ghost Ship wrecked my ship while I was trying to leave an island alive with my Tall quest item. This could also be a megalodon, anything.

Views
  • @yoksul
    There are checkpoints for Tall Tales, those should help.

• @lem0n-curry 100%!

And now, if you are on a PvP hungry server you can cancel the tale and pick it back up in a new server with any items you have collected in the previous server appearing instantly on your captain's table.

Tall Tales have been made considerably more pain free for those that desire it!

• @lem0n-curry
    Do you mean going to the same tent to pick the quest up again? It sends you to the beginning of the same quest. Im talking about having to disconnect or leave mid-quest.

• @yoksul Ahoy matey!

If you go to your captain's table on your ship, you can put down a Tall Tale Checlpont rather than a normal Voyage and you will pick up from where you left off from (well the last checkpoint) in the Tale.

• @musicmee I beat the Skeleton (Brigssy I think) boss for the second quest (that you get from the Order of Souls lady at Plunderer's outpost). My ship was destroyed before I could get the skull on it. Then I had to disconnect to pick up some food. Now, Im back and everythings gone, I have to sail all the way around the map hoping no one kills me.

This is frustrating beyond belief. I gotta even organize my bathroom and eating times around a skeleton's skull? Its too much.

• @yoksul said in Losing Tall Tales Progress isn't a toxicity issue - its a bad design choice:

@lem0n-curry
    Do you mean going to the same tent to pick the quest up again? It sends you to the beginning of the same quest. Im talking about having to disconnect or leave mid-quest.

No, there are a couple of points in each Tale where you can continue where your left off (due to other pirates sinking you or taking your item(s), PvE, server disconnect).
    You should get a pop-up when you reach such a point and they will be removed when you finish or get to another check point.

You can start at such a check point on the QUEST table at the Propose Quest menu instead of Voyages, select Tall Tales.
    You can see if you have any by (on PC) click on Tab, and then select Quests.

(edit: changed map table into quest table).

• @lem0n-curry
    It just says I dont have any tall tale checkpoints. So all those counted for nothing? If checkpoints are this rare, I would have to be on this for like 4 hours non stop.

• @yoksul said in Losing Tall Tales Progress isn't a toxicity issue - its a bad design choice:

@lem0n-curry
    It just says I dont have any tall tale checkpoints. So all those counted for nothing? If checkpoints are this rare, I would have to be on this for like 4 hours non stop.

I've checked at Rare Thief, and the Brigsy one should have two check points:

• After acquiring the Enchanted Compass
    • After acquiring Briggsy’s Skull

I don't know why yours didn't work or have disappeared.

• @lem0n-curry
    I brought the skull to the order of souls madame and she gave me those 4 quests to meet those people. But when I go to them, its like the previous acts of the quest never happened. I have the commendations for them. But Tina at the tavern (one of those four people) has no new dialogue tree. Nor is a quest checkpoint indicated in the Tall Tales menu. The compass and skull are gone as well.. A bug I guess :( Thanks for taking the time to help. Wanna play sometime?

• @yoksul you can start any of those 4 new quests by interacting with their quest books. The locations will be shown in the info pop up for each tale as well as on the ship map.

You will only get checkpoints for those tales after you've started them and reached a checkpoint in the story.

If you handed in briggsy's skull, you completed tall tale 2 and your checkpoints for that tale would have been cleared.

• @lem0n-curry said in Losing Tall Tales Progress isn't a toxicity issue - its a bad design choice:

@yoksul said in Losing Tall Tales Progress isn't a toxicity issue - its a bad design choice:

I've checked at Rare Thief, and the Brigsy one should have two check points:

• After acquiring the Enchanted Compass
    • After acquiring Briggsy’s Skull

I don't know why yours didn't work or have disappeared.

If you start Tall Tale when you already have checkpoint it won't overwrite old one as you progress but automatically delete it.
    So what i think has happened here is that he started it again from beginning after he had received checkpoint but that time didn't play it to first checkpoint
    (Or it may not give you any checkpoints from that run if it deleted old one at beginning)

@lem0n-curry
    I brought the skull to the order of souls madame and she gave me those 4 quests to meet those people. But when I go to them, its like the previous acts of the quest never happened. I have the commendations for them. But Tina at the tavern (one of those four people) has no new dialogue tree. Nor is a quest checkpoint indicated in the Tall Tales menu. The compass and skull are gone as well.. A bug I guess :( Thanks for taking the time to help. Wanna play sometime?

Items you get / use in the Tall Tales disappear, no bug - there are other items you get for completing it and for completing it a number of times though.

See @D3ADST1CK's reply - you already finished the 2nd Tale, start new ones with the books at the persons mentioned - there are also icons on the map for Tall Tales in case you don't know where these persons are.

If you're looking for others to play with: use the LFG or Find a Crew section on this forum.

@limend
    He already finished it - hence the "missing" checkpoint.

• You didn’t lose progress. This experience is not a failure of game design. This is a failure of player comprehension of what they are doing. Listen to the dialogs. They are not just pointless cutscenes. The information they give you tells you what you should be doing and why. Once the Brigsy skull is handed in, you are told about four personalities to talk to. It is on you to actually go find them and do that. They even put them on the map now (zoom in), and you have hints about how to begin each tale in the menus. This is a painful thread. The Tall Tales did not originally do as much hand-holding as they do now. And there were no checkpoints. Now that there is some hand-holding and checkpoints, players are expecting to be led by the nose from one point to the next point.

Views
1 out of 14