Trading Company Man O' Wars - Emergent Encounter

• Since launch day something I've wanted is AI pirate ships to attack. It just feels odd that, as pirates, there are no merchant ships to raid. You could argue that skeleton ships fill that role, but I don't believe so. Fighting skeleton ships feels more like a "good vs evil" fight, rather than being a dastardly pirate raiding merchants.

How would it work?

Similar to a roaming Skeleton Ship, these behemoth's of a ship can be found roaming around the map. Each ship has chance of carrying their respective emissary flag, along with a large amount of loot, around 50k worth. The ships would act similarly to Skeleton Ships, sailing from island to island, and occasionally stopping at outposts. These ships would be armed with 6 guns per side, and a crew of 18 AI pirates. 10 on the guns, and 8 as repairers and fighters. The ship would also have a captain like Skeleton Ships.

Forgot to add: The ship would be able to use firebombs, blunderbombs and chainshots as well, but not cursed cannonballs.

Once you initiate a fight with the ship, you have 5-10 minutes to sink it, before it raises the alarm, and you are halted from dealing with the respective trading company for 30 minutes. Attacking the ship at an outpost immediately blocks access to the trading company. Successfully sinking a Trading Company Man O' War will lower your emissary grade.

Credit to @ShootHere4EXP for this design of a Man O' War. The ships would be distinctly styled, similarly to Skeleton Ships, so that they would not get confused with regular galleons.

Each ship would be decked out with their respective Trading Company cosmetics.

Views
  • I mean is that not the role player ships fill? Players fill their ships with items of value to deliver them to a destination. You as a pirate can intercept those items of value and steal them.

• @mferr11

Hey look! Somebody's already chasing the Man'O'War on your schematic!!

Seriously though, nice and fresh idea. I like it!

I also posted a Man'O'War idea not long ago, dunno if you read it. It was quite different and from the depths of my imagination though (like seriously - I dreamed it!)

There's some people out here that claim this forum does not contain decent ideas for Rare to pick up. You, just like many others here, are the living proof they're so so wrong...

• Trading Company boats would be fine, but I’d prefer some representation for the Grand Maritime Union! It would be great if they broke into the Sea of Thieves and us pirates would have to make sure they don’t overstay their welcome. I would do anything to see my favorite faction make its way into core gameplay. Of course, this Man O’ War you propose sounds downright impossible to kill, but I’m sure someone with a few kegs would prove me wrong.

• It would be nice if at such an event there were several options, to sink the ship or climb on it.
    Or buy a task from the bartender and, under cover of night, climb aboard a merchant ship while the team disembarks to resupply.
    We don't have the ability to duck or crawl, but I think that's not a problem for developers.
    With the advent of merchant ships, you can safely open a new faction "Smugglers"

• @arctroopachedda Introducing the GMU would be amazing, trust me, I want them as well. Maybe I should make a post about how I think they could work? Honestly any AI pirates would be lovely.

• @barmaley7580 Some stealth gameplay would be very neat. Park your ship nearby, row over under the cover of night, and quickly grab the manifest and loot without alerting the crew. Sounds exhilarating!

• Bringing the GMU would be amazing. I love the idea of bringing AI pirates. We could get some form of Siren being heard across the World, we were can see them coming from the red sea into the world.

AI Pirates should exist in the game, The world of Sea of thieves cannot just be skeletons surely?

The Man of war being introduced to the game would be a fantastic idea. Incooperating a new ship type into the game, bringing in a bit more difficulty.

GMU could potentially be the sea of thieves police? if we have been causing to much problems to ships maybe our felony goes up so we become a bounty target?

Views
1 out of 8