"The Wellerman" Shanty anyone?

• So with "The Wellerman" Shanty blowing up on Tik Tok, I've got to ask, are we going to get it in Sea of Thieves? I get that recording a decent version on each instrument is probably a heap of work. But man if I was "Rare" I'd want to capitalise on some potential free marketing and get it out into the game within the month. Get on Tik Tok and win some Fornite nerds' hearts and minds Rare!

Views
  • @mostexpendable Would love this shanty! Also "Off to Sea".

As well as playing on all instruments, I'd love more, the ability to whistle all the shanties as you do on Stitcher's Sorrow. Though I already tend to whistle them all myself :D

• No. We don't want to attract tik tokers and fortnite nine year olds to this game.

• Already made an suggestion based on this :)

https://www.seaofthieves.com/forum/topic/130175/quick-win-on-immersion-there-is-no-no-to-it

• I've had that tune stuck in my head for 5 days now... it keeps me awake at night and distracts me while I try to work... I need sleep... Still, upvoting because it's "a bop"

• First heard this tune last year when The Longest Johns sang it during a SoT session.

• @soyabean566
    I'm a 33 year old dude without Tiktok and I'dd love it if this song was included. Apart from being "a huge hit on TikTok", it's also just a really good shanty!

• @mostexpendable said in "The Wellerman" Shanty anyone?:

So with "The Wellerman" Shanty blowing up on Tik Tok, I've got to ask, are we going to get it in Sea of Thieves? I get that recording a decent version on each instrument is probably a heap of work. But man if I was "Rare" I'd want to capitalise on some potential free marketing and get it out into the game within the month. Get on Tik Tok and win some Fornite nerds' hearts and minds Rare!

we as this community don't want the fortnite nerds to come and play this game there are a lot of little kids who play this game already we don't need more but i agree more players the better for rare and yes i agree they could put in the wellerman shanty but prolly not what I want them to add is "when i was a lad" "i am the captain of the pinafore" and "i am a very model of a modern major general" and " i am the monarch of the sea"

• @soyabean566 said in "The Wellerman" Shanty anyone?:

No. We don't want to attract tik tokers and fortnite nine year olds to this game.

we already have nine year olds lol but they like pirates and i for one am glad of that

• @closinghare208
    Adding a single shanty that just so happens to be popular on a cringe app isn't going to entice the people that use it to come to play Sea of Thieves.

If anything, I'd be happy for some new additions to our shanty collection, and I think an official partnership with The Longest Johns is in order to help facilitate it.

• Haven't heard of this...

[Goes to do research]

• Hmm, it's not bad.

• Let's exchange notes. :)

• Sure, I like Wellerman, but what I really want in the game is Rundy - Dandy - o!!!

• @soyabean566 if you actually cared about the game, you wouldn’t want to gatekeep it from people who could potentially enjoy it. More players = More loot to steal on the seas and more of an incentive for Rare to provide good updates. It’s a win-win.

• @soyabean566 Nobody is going to buy a game because it has a shanty they saw in a tiktok.

• [DELETED]

• @mythrl said in "The Wellerman" Shanty anyone?:

@closinghare208
    Adding a single shanty that just so happens to be popular on a cringe app isn't going to entice the people that use it to come to play Sea of Thieves.

If anything, I'd be happy for some new additions to our shanty collection, and I think an official partnership with The Longest Johns is in order to help facilitate it.

aye

• @closinghare208 they would be bad and easy to kill. not to mention it gives this game more spotlights

• @doormaat said in "The Wellerman" Shanty anyone?:

@soyabean566 Nobody is going to buy a game because it has a shanty they saw in a tiktok.

You'd be quite surprised at the reasons for why some people buy things...

• @galactic-geek Do you really think 80% of the playerbase is going to be from tiktok because of a shanty?

• @doormaat said in "The Wellerman" Shanty anyone?:

@galactic-geek Do you really think 80% of the playerbase is going to be from tiktok because of a shanty?

Did I ever say 80%? No, I did not. Don't assume things that are clearly untrue.

• @galactic-geek said in "The Wellerman" Shanty anyone?:

@doormaat said in "The Wellerman" Shanty anyone?:

@galactic-geek Do you really think 80% of the playerbase is going to be from tiktok because of a shanty?

Did I ever say 80%? No, I did not. Don't assume things that are clearly untrue.

Perhaps a sizeable portion of the playerbase would have been a better phrase to use in its place, but my point still stands.

• The Longest Johns are a SoT Twitch partner, so maybe they could do a few of their shanties, wellerman, off to sea, haul away joe, leave her jonny, blow the man down, rundy-dandy-o etc. Though they probably quite like singing to those they meet on the seas.

• @baronbrr said in "The Wellerman" Shanty anyone?:

@closinghare208 they would be bad and easy to kill. not to mention it gives this game more spotlights

true

• Please Rare add "The Wellerman" Shanty!

• This song would be brilliant for journeys. Right now I have to play it off spotify and not everyone can hear it and play along as we travel

• @soyabean566 I’m fairly certain The Longest John’s sang it way before it blew up.
    Give them all the credit and ignore Tik tok completely.

• Also, some other suggestions:
    Retirement Song
    Randie-Dandy ‘o
    Santina
    All sang by The Longest John’s at some point

Randie is with a y but it’s censored, lol

• @scales3837 it would really be awsom

• Surprised I haven't seen anyone mention 'Bones in the Ocean'

• Dude, I would absolutely love to hear this in SOT, now yes everyone is talking about the “Fortnite Kids” or whatever. But it shouldn’t matter. And could you just imagine and whole band playing the song?! It would sound so amazing! I personally think this would be a great idea. In my Opinion.

• @supershadow7220 said in "The Wellerman" Shanty anyone?:

Dude, I would absolutely love to hear this in SOT, now yes everyone is talking about the “Fortnite Kids” or whatever. But it shouldn’t matter. And could you just imagine and whole band playing the song?! It would sound so amazing! I personally think this would be a great idea. In my Opinion.

vevo on youtube used this game as a lyric video for wellerman so I really hope they add it

• @mostexpendable said in "The Wellerman" Shanty anyone?:

So with "The Wellerman" Shanty blowing up on Tik Tok, I've got to ask, are we going to get it in Sea of Thieves? I get that recording a decent version on each instrument is probably a heap of work. But man if I was "Rare" I'd want to capitalise on some potential free marketing and get it out into the game within the month. Get on Tik Tok and win some Fornite nerds' hearts and minds Rare!

Here's a great video on YouTube from the Longest Johns where they join open crews on SoT and sing the Wellerman.

• @j3nkman awesome! Thank you!

Views
1 out of 35