Add Voyage Checkpoints

• Similar to Tall Tails, there should be Voyage Check Points.

My crew and I started A Gilded Hoard long buried by the Pirate Legend Three Sheets Neate tonight and just as we began a persistent Reaper ship attacked us over and over.

We spent more time in combat with the reaper crew than the special Christmas Voyage, that we can only can get one-time! This waisted over 2hrs and the voyage, for we didn’t have time to complete the voyage after dealing with the reaper crew. The special voyage was waisted because we only were able to complete 1 map out of a full voyage wheel full of maps because of the reaper ship.

That’s why I’m proposing Voyage Check Points which allows the Pirate that Proposed the Voyage, to continue on their voyage after logging-off and returning to the Sea of Thieves at a later point in time.

Sea of Thieves is an awesome game, full of adventure and fun — but it’s also a very time consuming game. By affording pirates the opportunity to pickup where they left-off on a voyage.

Views
  • This would break a lot of things that Sea of Thieves is fundamentally about. Having crews attack you on your voyage is apart of your adventure. People that get into a fight would just chose to nope out of their server, and then it just becomes a PvE server with extra steps. You'd have people doing Gilded voyages up until the final step, then logging off and rejoining to place down a checkpoint to double their profits. And voyages are not like Tall Tales. They are not linear stories with structured progression. How would you implement a checkpoint for a voyage that changes every time? Sea of Thieves was not designed for quick sessions. By it's nature of an online shared world with plenty of emergent interactions with players and AI alike, you need to be ready for your session to be extended by a couple of hours. It is also a session based game, where nothing carries over between sessions. The only reason Tall Tales carry over is because they function as linear stories, which don't really work in a shared world game.

• I see a problem with this by the first line.
    You started a Gilded Voyage, that is a one time voyage and has at best, 2 chapters? Yet you said you "just as we began" before a Reaper appeared. 2 Hours?? Really...they chased you around the sea for 2 hours?

And you never said if you finished the Voyage...(Okie you said you didnt) But only one map...So Scuttle and Go forward and complete the remaining maps. -_-
    I mean, a Reaper ship...clearly marked on the map table, so you know where they are....

Im just...lost where you went wrong here...

• You start your voyage on a server, you finish it there as well. Encountering risks on the way is part of the game, player shouldn't be able to pack their things and finish the most lucrative part of the voyage elsewhere at the first sign of danger.

As you said, it's a one time a year thing, prepare accordingly.

• The game would become dull of this was implemented.
    I like the tension of running to an outpost with ships on the horizon. I fear that would be diminished if this was the case.

• Would break the game, imagine doing an Athenas and you just stack the ending part as a "checkpoint" for later use. Maybe on a empty server where you feel safe or even worse when they have a Gold Rush event active.

This is a big no for me. Only reason it works for Tall Tales is because theres no value in the things you do for other players.

• I'm surprised tall tails checkpoints even exist. 🤷‍♂️ Just not fitting for a game like this.

Views
1 out of 7