SoT, Microphones, LFGs, and the Xbox App

• So, unfortunately, a few days ago, the microphone to my headset stopped working, and while I wait for a replacement, I find it difficult to sail and setup LFGs. This is not only because I don't have a microphone, which causes almost a 100% drop rate with LFGs, but because evidently starting an LFG isn't exactly possible on a phone for Xbox pirates like myself using the Xbox app. You would think that the app would integrate such a fundamental function such as allowing pirates to sail together, but apparently not. I had to start a party on my phone, then do a search on the app for anyone interested in my LFG on the Xbox by typing their gamertags in by hand, which is incredibly tedious.

I know there's Discord, but I don't like it and largely use it for my personal friends. It's very PC-centric anyways...

Views
  • and sorry if this is wrong but can't you make a party/ LFG on the actual Xbox????

• @galactic-geek also it's not sea of thieves' fault that the xbox app doesn't have something so stop complaining on a sea of thieves forum about the inadequacy of the Xbox app.

• @galactic-geek Just tried Discord out of frustration and I can't make heads or tails out of the official SoT Discord channel's LFCs.

• @rtl-saint I'm not complaining. I'm looking for solutions. I was hoping someone could offer suggestions. Thanks for your feedback, BTW!

...even if it was negative. 🙄

• @galactic-geek what are you playing off of? xbox or pc? the pc app can make lfg and the xbox can make lfg so i dont see your problem besides the mic issue, just type and you will say u type fast, ive done that before and people are usually chill.

• @rtl-saint I do type fast, but they still left in the time it took me to type.

I was trying to use the Xbox app on my phone while setting up the LFG on the Xbox. When that fell through I tried the Discord to disastrous results.

• @galactic-geek thats not what i asked. I asked what you play on, why not use the lfg in the xbox?????

• Not much for the Xbox players.
    Using the Mic on your phone while on Discord or App itself are only two options.
    That or...Buy a new mic asap.

• @galactic-geek i think it's worth noting that with a mixamp you could have audio from the game and audio/mic from a separate device in the same headset. when I used xbox primarily it was a huge gain in playing with discord servers.

• @rtl-saint said in SoT, Microphones, LFGs, and the Xbox App:

@galactic-geek thats not what i asked. I asked what you play on, why not use the lfg in the xbox?????

Because without a microphone, I would not be able to talk using an LFG on the Xbox.

• @burnbacon said:

That or...Buy a new mic asap.

Working on that - it's not as easy as it sounds, if you're trying to find 1 that works without a lot of feedback.

• @captain-coel I'll look into that - thank you for sharing.

• @galactic-geek you can buy a zalman clip on mic for 10 bucks if you want to wait and find a good headset or streamer mic

• @rtl-saint Looking it up, though I may have found another solution already.

• @galactic-geek thats good, you just clip it on the wire on your headphones, if you on pc i dont know what you do i think you just plug it in to the 2 different things, but if your on xbox or use a controller you also need to get a Y-splitter cable with both a mic and a headphone female cable. I went through this myself, its a decent mic not terrible but i liked it.

• @rtl-saint said in SoT, Microphones, LFGs, and the Xbox App:

@galactic-geek thats good, you just clip it on the wire on your headphones, if you on pc i dont know what you do i think you just plug it in to the 2 different things, but if your on xbox or use a controller you also need to get a Y-splitter cable with both a mic and a headphone female cable. I went through this myself, its a decent mic not terrible but i liked it.

Thanks for the advice. Though I worry about it picking up sound from either my TV speakers or from my headset due to its sensitive nature of being a clip on - that's something I'm looking to avoid.

• @galactic-geek If you are looking for a decent chat headset for a fair price, I recommend the Plantronics RIG 100HX. I've used one of these for over a year now and very pleased with the quality and build. They run about $30-$35 new, can get refurbs from Amazon for about $24.

If you want to go cheap, the Amazon Basic ones aren't too bad...if you can deal with the Playstation logo on the side that is. Not quite as good as my RIG but do in a pinch.

• @dlchief58 That does look like a good 1, but I don't want mono sound - what you recommended only has 1 earpiece, so I'm afraid that will not work for me. Thanks for the suggestion though - it makes a great starting point for other options in that particular series!

• @galactic-geek I wasn't sure if you were looking for full headset or a chat one as you really didn't make it clear. I really like the RIG with the open ear design as it keeps my ear cool and doesn't dull the sound from my Yamaha/Klipsch system. I've never had feedback from it, but have caused it on my buddies end because its works so well (and the fact he keeps running chat audio through his TV speakers while sitting close to it).

Don't have much in the way of recommendations for dual speaker headsets. I do use an older Polk Audio Melee set that were initially designed for the 360, but honestly the build quality can be suspect in them (I did have one completely fall apart after many months of use and a few too many drops, another the ear cups started flaking). Also the mic on them doesn't really work (design flaw) so you have to buy an inline one anyway (I use a V-MODA). They also reintroduced basically the same headset for the One under the 4-shot name, but it doesn't come with the Digital Signal Processor unit to run it from the optical audio if you choose (and is almost $100 more, even now). I will say they sound great and fit well, and can be had for about $25...but then you have to also factor in the fact you'll still need to invest in an inline mic (the V-MODA one I use runs about $30, there are cheaper ones but I've been impressed with this one). I've used the official Microsoft one, they are OK but also have build issues and are not very rugged for the price.

Oh and I'll play with you even if you lack a mic.

• @dlchief58 said:

You have no idea how much I appreciate hearing this. I'm actually starting to sail right now if you want to hop aboard. I'm annoyingly good with the quick chat. 😅

• @galactic-geek said in SoT, Microphones, LFGs, and the Xbox App:

@dlchief58 said:

You have no idea how much I appreciate hearing this. I'm actually starting to sail right now if you want to hop aboard. I'm annoyingly good with the quick chat. 😅

If I wasn't stuck at work right now I'd be right there. But go ahead and add me to your friends list and we'll hook up sometime. At least I have a 4 day weekend coming up, but you'll likely have the mic issue solved by then (I'll still play with you though, LOL!)

• @dlchief58 Hopefully, if Amazon is any indication, it should be solved by end of day tomorrow.

I have already added you. Congrats on blowing up a shark recently! Also, 17 years on Xbox Live!? And I thought I was a veteran at 14 years! I look forward to sailing with you, mic or no mic.

• @galactic-geek I don't know about pc, or speakers but on Xbox, I used an Audio Technica ath ad 900x, if you know about that then you know the open-backed that it has and i heard nothing echo wise, may be different because of the anti echo on Xbox's program. If I put a mic right inside the headset on Xbox I don't get echo though. I had no echo using open backed headphones on xbox with the mic clipped at my nipple on a sitting position.

• @galactic-geek I've added you as well so we are good on that front.

Thanks on the congrats, finally had a golden opportunity at that with 2 sharks circling the shipwreck I was looting and had a gunpowder barrel in it. Just had to lead them far enough away from my ship so as to not damage it in the blast.

Yup I've been on Live almost from the start, got my first Xbox a couple of months after Live launched. I'd probably gotten it at the Xbox launch had it had Live enabled at that time since I was coming from the Dreamcast and already invested in the online gaming there - but went with the Gamecube instead that day in Toys R Us.

• @dlchief58 I have been around since the beginning myself, but unfortunately, you won't see it, as I was young and jobless back then and couldn't continue to afford it. I cancelled my account on the OG Xbox and renewed it Day 1 of the 360. Haven't left since.

• A easy way to fix this is get interested on a post and then join the party they inv you to through your phone. You can’t make them but you can join them so there’s that

Views
26 out of 27