Content in Sea of Thieves

• Hi all,

I have recently started to write an essay on Sea of Thieves, where the game has come since launch, what has been added, where the game succeeds and fails etc, I was just wondering what you as the audience believe works the best in the game and what maybe falls short and also what kind of things you would like to see in the future.

I would like to turn the essay I am creating into a video essay, so anyone's input would be much appreciated

Thanks

Views
  • I remember at launch the game was just like playing the beta test. Excellent looking water. Lacking on anything to really do. Finally feels like a full game after a few years.

I feel the game needs to be upgraded for the Xbox Series X.

Better framerate, better loading times.
    Waiting to come back from the ferry of the damn needs to be reduced. The black screen waiting to respawn to your boat kills any chance to save your boat.

Sometimes using the mermaids won't respawn you on your boat. Just puts you back by another mermaid.

Can be fun with other players. Terrible experience for solo players. It's a PvP game with some light PvE stuff.

Buying an Xbox Series X in November. Will be kind of annoyed if it runs exactly like the Xbox One X with no noticeable improvements for Sea Of Thieves.

• @jcpedley

I'm also a beta player and have appreaciate and repected Rare for there passion and talent they bring to the gaming market. This game like the rest of titles is a classic.

As far as what they got right was there vision and philosophy. They provided a unique experience to the console market as they introduced there take and twist on a popluar PC genre. The abilty to have player driven stories to build on the lore of a new and excitin world was fully relized. Rare's greatest talent was always as World Builders and there strength of story telling made a generation of die hard fans. Most of all there willingness to open up to and listen to there fanbase assures them the trust and respect that is Rare for other game studios. So everthing from the Lore, world, live events all are based around the players making them part of the world. That couple with a true Goal of leaving one mark on the game to become a True Legend on the seas. This is somthing only Rare and SoT can offer. A truly unique, exciting and inculsive experience that can be found nowhere else on top of that its cheap and consumer freindly. What more could you ask from a game and it's studio for.

Now don't get me wrong i'm also a big critic of Rare for as good as they are they still have there flaws. I constant critize them so they can improve. One of the major issues they have which is their greatest weakness is PvP. In all Rare games that had PvP all had major issue as the devs are not the most PvP literate. Titles like perfect dark and conker all had balancing issues and game breaking bugs. But all are still remembered positively non the less. Same with SoT while the PvP offers a very fun and exciting experiance in the way of true player to player theift the combat mechnics are simplistic and clumsy. With ghe addition of arena showcasing all the limitation of pirate combat. This game was never designed to be a competitive as theiving is not a compation.

Another main compliant is the early lack of content which really wasn't the fault of Rare as many unfortunate and uncontrolable tragidy befell the studio bring the studio close to being shutdown. They had no choice but to released an under develope version of the game. This led many to feel a certian way. Sea of Grief preety much sums everthing up for back then. But Literally Sea of Theives Now they added alot of content and all free. There are stll issues with some content like its limited time lifespan leading to short burstof high population only to tapper off and then spike agian as well as constant reappearances of old bugs.
    Most critisms you might hear often from new player is the difficulty which it isn't. Admittedly it doesn't have much of a tutorial with the games design philosophy of being intutive enough for players to discover stuff for themseves and inculding the community for teaching newbs.
    Now many complian about solo play being immposible which is not. But this game was always designed to be played coopreatively with other players. Solo play was never intended in the frist place so not a valid compliant.

As for what i would like to see in the future for this game.

Inthe short term i would like to see an expansion to the underwater gameplay as the sea is most of the map. With additions to sea life and more interaction with the mermaids they have given us the mermaid statues which were underwhelming an they have given use underwater caves and dungeons for Tall Tales but nothing part of the nomal adventure or voyage. Crabs and other interactable sea life would be great. Also more world creatures and NPCs in general. There are alot of hint of achient creatures dipicted in cave and on walls by the natives. We alread had the kraken and seen the return of the Meg i would like to see a deal with newer achient terrors like the giant boar or crab. Loot is another major part of this game but one great flaw is the loots value decay. Overtime loot becomes pointless as commendations get completed and currency becomes easier and easier to uptain. Utility based loot meaning loot that has a gameplay altering effect will aways have some value to the player making it always fun to collect. So adding things like more curse chest and ashen win skulls are great. These in-seesion progression rewards are very satisfing as it gives player more tools to play with. Speaking of tools we could always get new tools and equipment to spice up the game simple things like rope would have alot of uses but also new weapons and munitions. As for gamply mechnics a dueling system is very much needed as it is very difficult to practice combat. Finally and the number one thing that would improve the game dramatically would be a funtion social hub ina sperate intance a place where all player can just load in to meet and drew up or to hang aroun share stories, Role Play and mess around in a series of mini games. I belived the Pirate Legend Hideout was to be this but it is not and is often empty like everyother tavern.

In the long term I would definitlly like to see a sequel as hardware limitation and limitations of the games engine limit the game from adding features that would allow it to reach it's full potential. Like the ability to change ship types mid session or the ability to craft objects even more basic thing like having a much larger map with more ships and larger crews as well as more sopiticated NPC AI.

Anyways that about wrap things up. Hope this helps your eassay.

• @ghostwolfviking it has been announced there will be an update for series x performance. Even w/o an update the loading time issue is directly related to the lackluster hdd in the Xbox one.

Views
3 out of 4