Due to the fact that gold is worthless, player retention will be low

• "Most" people are just going to quit the game once they reach pirate legend or before, it just gets boring and repetitive at a certain point after that initial WOW factor fades away.

Views
  • @kid4844 Thanks for your opinion but there are still a lot of players who have been here since the beta. I think it will be just fine.

• @octopus-lime said in Due to the fact that gold is worthless, player retention will be low:

@kid4844 Thanks for your opinion but there are still a lot of players who have been here since the beta. I think it will be just fine.

That doesn't mean he wrong. there will always be a hardcore base who just love to play but for the most part gold is worthless the game is more about the experiences you have etc but I do feel they should add more in game buyable items every content update tbh but now it's just real cash buys that get priority.

• @kid4844 this is exactly why we keep getting fun new 'stuff' each month - tall tales, ghost fleets etc :)

• @aglasgowthing said in Due to the fact that gold is worthless, player retention will be low:

@octopus-lime said in Due to the fact that gold is worthless, player retention will be low:

@kid4844 Thanks for your opinion but there are still a lot of players who have been here since the beta. I think it will be just fine.

That doesn't mean he wrong. there will always be a hardcore base who just love to play but for the most part gold is worthless the game is more about the experiences you have etc but I do feel they should add more in game buyable items every content update tbh but now it's just real cash buys that get priority.

Yea I'm not saying he is wrong, everyone is entitled to their own opinion but people need to know that this game isn't an MMORPG where you grind to buy and upgrade your gear. I think they need to add some kind of gold sink into the game that isn't cosmetics, not sure what that would be but whatever it is it needs to not give any significant advantage over other players.

• My counterpoint would be that gold being "worthless" takes the focus off the loot and puts it back on the gameplay.

"It's not about the gold, it's about the glory!" as Ramsey says.

Those who are genuinely in love with the game and world will stay, the ones that leave over the gold are the ones who generally get toxic over been sunk and losing a few thousand in gold. Plenty of us have reached PL a loooong time ago and have millions in gold saved up, and we don't stop playing.

• @kid4844 New Steam player here and I can confirm. For me the game just doesn't offer enough to compete with other pc-games in that price tag. In every game I have played, skins were the most redundant thing to me... here it is literally the only thing I can buy. Why would I want that. Fighting the same skeletons, looting the same skulls and the same tea all over and over again is starting to get repetitive and boring... after 12 hours already. Gold is what this game is all about and it is literally useless. Let me add a rowboat to my ship for 90k, let me add grappling hooks to my ship, additional storage, faster cooking stations etc... Give us something to do.

• @sebanimation said in Due to the fact that gold is worthless, player retention will be low:

Gold is what this game is all about

alt text

• The game has so much deep lore and so much to learn and master, I really feel some people are just skimming the surface.

On the face of it, yes, it does seem like a very repetitive game but I've never had any two sessions go exactly the same. And I rarely have a session that goes how I expect. The unpredictable nature of a sandbox with random social encounters, and soooo much RNG, just makes it unique.

Cosmetic-only unlocks may be a put off for some, but it's the game's biggest plus point - that anyone can jump in at any time and not be dominated by those who have unlocked superior gear. As someone playing since closed beta, I hope that never changes.

There's a reason whenever I look at my game library looking for something to play, I end up playing Sea of Thieves again. It just gets its hooks in you eventually.

• "It's not about the Gold, it's about the glory."

Ramsey Singh, the Piratelord.

Some already said it.

Well this is a game to play, not to work off things.

You want to have a pirateadventure.
    Your goal could be to get 10 Million Gold.
    I have around 7.
    I'm a casual player playing SoT for over 2 years.
    I dont care for progression, i am here to have a pirate adventure everytime i login.
    If people want to work off stuff and want vertical progression then this is the wrong game.
    The game was designed another way.
    Please dont change it or demand changes in any sort of more serious and vertical progression, it would completely destroy my game.

@Octopus-Lime
    I agree on a goldsink.

The pay the Ferryman was a good idea, but i would make it the way it's 0.1% of what you have that you lose.
    So someone with 700 would only pay 7 gold to the Ferryman and i would have to pay 7000.
    Dont know why they scrapped it.

• @realstyli said in Due to the fact that gold is worthless, player retention will be low:

The game has so much deep lore and so much to learn and master, I really feel some people are just skimming the surface.

On the face of it, yes, it does seem like a very repetitive game but I've never had any two sessions go exactly the same. And I rarely have a session that goes how I expect. The unpredictable nature of a sandbox with random social encounters, and soooo much RNG, just makes it unique.

Cosmetic-only unlocks may be a put off for some, but it's the game's biggest plus point - that anyone can jump in at any time and not be dominated by those who have unlocked superior gear. As someone playing since closed beta, I hope that never changes.

There's a reason whenever I look at my game library looking for something to play, I end up playing Sea of Thieves again. It just gets its hooks in you eventually.

great answer sans the butt hurt, more people should be like you :)

anyway I'm all for the even playing field and everyone being equal. it gives everyone a chance to have fun without being at a disadvantage.

but you know some different ship variations/models purchasable could be nice, gives players more of an incentive to keep playing. right now the cosmetics in the game doesn't feel worth the grind, and doesn't feel like a whole lot either.
    I wouldn't mind paying a couple of million gold for a different ship model.

I like the game and I think it has great potential, but if you look at the forums, reddit & steam there's a lot of people saying the game gets boring relatively quick after a certian point.

• @kid4844 said in Due to the fact that gold is worthless, player retention will be low:

@realstyli said in Due to the fact that gold is worthless, player retention will be low:

The game has so much deep lore and so much to learn and master, I really feel some people are just skimming the surface.

great answer sans the butt hurt, more people should be like you :)

Thanks but not sure where the "butt hurt" fits in? Am I missing something you inferred from my post?

but you know some different ship variations/models purchasable could be nice, gives players more of an incentive to keep playing. right now the cosmetics in the game doesn't feel worth the grind, and doesn't feel like a whole lot either.
    I wouldn't mind paying a couple of million gold for a different ship model.

I wouldn't object to some variety in ship models at all, as long as the balance remains the same. A slightly different arrangement for a ship or a different decor for a ship cabin could be nice. But "balance" and not creating any advantage are the key points that shouldn't be compromised on.

I like the game and I think it has great potential, but if you look at the forums, reddit & steam there's a lot of people saying the game gets boring relatively quick after a certian point.

I would have a look at those players' game libraries and the types of games they normally play. SoT doesn't appeal to all gamers equally.

I tend to find a lot of the players who have been playing since day one and continue to do so are actually skewed more towards chilled out games, or cerebrally challenging games, than hardcore FPS games. Myself included. I used to play a lot of COD admittedly but primarily I enjoy games with a lot of creativity, story, good atmosphere, and/or puzzles. Games that require a lot of input from the player to get the most out of them too.

While SoT doesn't necessarily have all those things in abundance, it does seem to appeal to that demographic a lot.

Sure, a lot of FPS gamers do hop on SoT for some PvP action as well but, if you were to ask them, I wouldn't be surprised to hear them say it's their chillout or wind-down game.

I'm not saying those reviews are wrong, just that maybe they expected a different type of game to what SoT is.

• @realstyli said in Due to the fact that gold is worthless, player retention will be low:

Thanks but not sure where the "butt hurt" fits in? Am I missing something you inferred from my post?

I think he was referring to the posts made by others, saying that yours lacked the "butt hurt" that he apparently saw in those.

Because if he makes a curt and blunt comment about the game, he's being "real". And if people disagree with equally curt and blunt replies, they're being "butt hurt".

That's the magic of the internet for ya! =P

• @kid4844

The gold is just a starting point to get you into the real attraction of Sea of Thieves: interacting with the world and the players in it.

Having something to lose arguably makes said interactions more intense, but they clearly want players to focus on an experience rather than a grind.

I think it's fair to want more things to spend gold on, more to earn, and more to progress through (I do too) but I think it's worth mentioning that it may be hard to enjoy the game if your only focus is the gold.

• @hombre said in Due to the fact that gold is worthless, player retention will be low:

@realstyli said in Due to the fact that gold is worthless, player retention will be low:

I think he was referring to the posts made by others, saying that yours lacked the "butt hurt" that he apparently saw in those.

Because if he makes a curt and blunt comment about the game, he's being "real". And if people disagree with equally curt and blunt replies, they're being "butt hurt".

That's the magic of the internet for ya! =P

This post ironically reeks of "butt-hurt"edness

• @sebanimation said in Due to the fact that gold is worthless, player retention will be low:

@kid4844 New Steam player here and I can confirm. For me the game just doesn't offer enough to compete with other pc-games in that price tag. In every game I have played, skins were the most redundant thing to me... here it is literally the only thing I can buy. Why would I want that. Fighting the same skeletons, looting the same skulls and the same tea all over and over again is starting to get repetitive and boring... after 12 hours already. Gold is what this game is all about and it is literally useless. Let me add a rowboat to my ship for 90k, let me add grappling hooks to my ship, additional storage, faster cooking stations etc... Give us something to do.

Would you rather as a "New Stream player", walk into this game and have players like myself have upgraded gear etc that we have accumulated over the last couple years, have an advantage over you that's hopeless to overcome?

• "Most" people are just going to quit the game once they reach pirate legend or before, it just gets boring and repetitive at a certain point after that initial WOW factor fades away.

I mean people have been saying stuff like this since day 1, yet, the game is still going on pretty strong. I'd even argue it grew since then. However, games can be extremely repetitive and still be enjoyable. League of Legends is the same map, and even some META's, pretty much the same champions, yet, people can play it for years. Rust is a game where you build bases, kill players, and raid other bases. Most servers are on a Bi-weekly wipe cycle, so if your base happened to last 2 weeks, it will just be deleted when the server wipes. Rust players then do it all over again for the next cycle.

As long as the repetition is fun, its not a problem. Ship fights in this game never get old for me, that is what keeps me playing. You don't need meaningful progression to propel a game. We are 2 years in, eventually games die, but I don't see this game getting there any day soon.

• @mentalmessia said in Due to the fact that gold is worthless, player retention will be low:

This post ironically reeks of "butt-hurt"edness

Oh look! More magic!

alt text

• Those who quit fail to realize, there are more things to do then just earn Pirate Legend.

If you want PL within a month, that your fault and grinder way to quick. I wish I could start over and just enjoy the game while slowly earning the title.
    But since I have so many rare titles and items, i don’t wanna

Commendations are the new PL

• Yeah i know, it's about the "glory". How does one even obtain glory when there can only be 5 ships on a server lol. Everyone knows it's gold and grog what pirates are really after.

• I like the gold. I have bought so many cute outfits. Would be nice if Rare would add more fun stuff to buy.

This game like any can get repetitive. For me though certain things I really enjoy to do like deliveries. I could pick up merchant stuff at the DR to deliver all day, that. never gets old. Now catching animals? Only did that to get lev 50 merchant because at that time that was it.

I always get a kick out of these "the game will die" "most players will stop playing" doom type threads. Such a bold statement and usually made by people who are not even 30 hours in.

• I find it hilarious how I keep seeing this you make your own adventure in the game nonsense, I feel like that's just something players who have invested so much time into the game and feel personally attached to it keep telling themselves.

Every time my friends and I decide to make our own adventure it's always at the cost of some other crew having fun in the game.

• @kid4844 said in Due to the fact that gold is worthless, player retention will be low:

I find it hilarious how I keep seeing this you make your own adventure in the game nonsense, I feel like that's just something players who have invested so much time into the game and feel personally attached to it keep telling themselves.

Every time my friends and I decide to make our own adventure it's always at the cost of some other crew having fun in the game.

You seem to really not get it, even though the design is pretty obvious. No one expects you to be satisfied for long by killing 3 types of skeletons again and again. The fun comes from the fact that at any moment this relatively simple activity can be interrupted at any time by other players and result in a brutal battle with unpredictable results. This is the selling point of the game and it works amazingly well if you let it. Gold in all this is only to give you a vague feedback if whatever you decided to do during a session was successful. The only way to get bored with Sea of Thieves is by stubbornly treating it as a next generic mmo where your sole reason for existence is getting that exp bar from 11% to 12%.

• @diabeuzpiekla The problem for me is, while those things you described indeed are a lot of fun, they seem to happen way too rarely. I mean, I encounter an other player ship once every hour at the max. (yes I have the red flag hissed) I find 5 ships per server to be way too little... There aren't any larger scale battles possible which I find kinda underwhelming...

• @sebanimation

The six ships per server rule is also for balance, though. It makes sure there's always a free outpost. Not to mention that there may be some technical issues with upping server population. SoT can only go as high as the XBox One will allow it, and Rare's already pushing those limits fairly hard.

Expanding the world and, by extension, the players per server might not even be possible until the next gen consoles. And maybe not even then, considering Microsoft stating their intention to have all their games playable on Series X and XBOne for the first year or two.

Views
1 out of 25