Galleon sails

• Ok so the slower you go the better turning you have. My question is If I was to put up just one sail, the back or front (when docking) witch one would give better turning or dose it not matter?

Views
  • The Main Sail (middle mast) gives the most speed. So, it also takes away the most speed when raised. Therefore, technically, raising the middle one will give you the better turning, because it'll slow you down more.
    The difference isn't that huge, speed-wise... but it is a difference, from my experiences. ;)

Oh, also, just a tip - two people raising the same sail raises it much faster (I've heard 2-per-sail raises it 3 times as fast - but I've never officially timed it).

• @electricknights it is indeed faster. I've tested it and 3 people doing 3 sails are as fast as 2 people doing these 3 sails one by one

• @electricknights so what is better raise
    middle and rear
    Or
    Middle and front

• We usually use the back sails to navigate into harbours.

And we also use only the back sails when we are in fights, as the navigator can usually handle both the steering wheel and the back sails, while the rest of the crew handle the cannons and repairing.

• @big8ang-1991 it depends on what are you doing. Practice how it looks like to raise fast 3 sails and turn, how it's turning on 2 sails down etc.

• It’s for when we come into The port I use just the rear but my friend thinks using just front is better but I don’t see any difference

• @big8ang-1991
    I believe someone made a video about the galleons sails a while back. They set there helm all the way to one side and studied the circles on the map with each of the sails down. Having down just the front or just the back sails created circles that looked the same while the middle sail left larger circles. He decided the middle sail provided more speed while the other two were equal.

• Front sail and back sail account for ±30% power (each) and the middle sail for ±40%.

Using your back sail only while docking should give you the optimum turn ratio and allow you quicker access to control the speed.

TIP: PL Parking
    Pull up to a dock so that your bowsprit sticks out over the dock. Leave 1 sail a tiny bit down. Your Ship will keep pushing up against the dock and you can drop all of your loot onto the dock. Then sail away and leave 1 player behind to sell everything while you head off towards the next adventure.

• @big8ang-1991 said in Galleon sails:

@electricknights so what is better raise
    middle and rear
    Or
    Middle and front

I think (not positive) that the front and rear sails give equal amounts of speed. So, that'd mean it'd make no difference between raising middle+front or middle+rear.
    That said, I've always tended to raise middle and front and leave the rear for maneuvering and docking approach (I think I was under the impression that rear gave less wind/speed than front - back from the early days of sailing where we weren't sure of much!).

I'd say it is situational. Often times the person on helm can help with the rear sail once it is time to raise it - especially if everyone else is doing something else while this is going on (tending to treasure, supplies, enemies, harpoons, repairs, playing music and/or refilling their tankards, lol). Sometimes I'm in a position of temporarily solo sailing/parking the galleon - so, it's easier to move between helm and rear.
    Then again, there have been a few times leaving front sail last was nice, while coming to a rest. It allowed me to watch from the bow, while I can move to raise the front sail more quickly than running all the way to the rear! :D

I think raising Middle and Front is the most common amongst the sailors on these seas - but, again, I'm not sure it makes a difference and I've found some situations where my preference changes.

Good question though!

• So by the looks of it back and front are equals.
    Thankyou everyone for all the feed back

• @viperishemu2992 bro. Every decent pirate won't leave the loot to one man and will dock properly so he can drop everything to pier while standing on plank

• @viperishemu2992
    I just used that method twice at Lost Gold Fort and reaper's hideout. Definitely a time saver. I was dropping the treasure off the back of Lost Gold Fort onto my bowsprit from the top of the island. Pretty much any time I run solo, my stuff is stacked on my bowsprit for quick turn ins.

• @big8ang-1991 sagte in Galleon sails:

@electricknights so what is better raise
    middle and rear
    Or
    Middle and front

I'd say it's better to raise front and main sail...because no sail is in your sight then, and if only one member of your crew is ready to raise the backsail, you can quickly help to raise it, so shorter way...
    Turning speed is the same, at least the difference between those two sails is so small, it doesn't really matter

Views
1 out of 14