What happened to this game?

• I understand this is a pirate game, pvp is the norm i get it. But
    Since its release it has grown into this sandbox of toxic ppl that do not care for loot nor commendations. Just spawn kill all day. Plus no communication after several attempts to find out why they keep doing this. Sadly this game though be it fun in the beginning and the tales are great, But now this game brings the worst out in ppl. And i won't be playing much anymore. Most of my friends no longer play manly be cause of griefing and from those who do not keep to the code. If private servers ever do come up great we all may come back, but i doubt that will ever happen.

Views
  • @scallywag7373

I stopped caring about commendations after the Athena ones were introduced and weren't backward compatibility and no effort was done to accommodate those that finished their grind to Athena 10. It for me invalidated the numbers I see there and unless the title is cool why should I care?

I care very little about loot because when I want it I can get it. There is tons of it out in the world and I have been gathering it for two years. I am not even very rich and have friends sitting on millions of gold. Gold doesn't make one a happy pirate, it is about the journey and not the spoils. Don't get me wrong I still gather and get happy when seeing a big haul float up to gather.

The game has more experienced pirates out there and it has never been about what type of pirate are they. It has always been the question how will you respond.

The majority of people will pounce, plunder and murder if you give them the chance and yet very few will be out purely for a pirate hunt and chase you across the world if you do it well.

Watch the horizon and choose how you will respond and if you choose to flee... don't run in a straight line.

The choice of battle is on you, you can flight, flee or try to negotiate. You would be surprised how many people will be open for a truce if you talk, before they seized control of your ship.

Btw. Could you send over some of these pirates you meet my way... I am getting a bit bored with initiating the battles or none at all while solo, my ship is full of shiney treasure sprinkled all over the place in case that helps.

• It's definitely become a "shoot first, talk later (never)" game over the last 1 1/2 years. There aren't really any heavy consequences to losing a fight. So people fight because they have nothing to lose.

That said, you still find fun, sociable and communicative players. So all is not lost. A 2 crew sloop invited me just last night to jump aboard and share in their adventures. Good times.

• PvP is always a threat like it should be.
    2 days ago we made a agreement with a Brigantine and a Sloop at Thieves Haven. Beeing on a Brigantine as duo
    Nobody boards anyones ship and keeps at distance, allied and all went fine for about 2 hours.

Yesterday we sunk 3 Brigs in total.
    All were coming for us to get booty.
    Sorry they messed with the wrong crew :-)

Most times it's no PvP at all and people avoid each other.

• @bugaboo-bill PvP is a critical factor to the excitement of this game.

Your example: the 3 ships that came to get your crew's loot saw a chance of profit, and you were justified in sinking them. That's all reasonable PvP! I think (hope) that the OP is addressing the general trend in the community towards insta-attacking without justification, reason or chance of profit. Violence solely for the sake of ruining another players gaming experience.

After all, another great plus in this game is the social aspect and player interaction. It can't be easy for Rare to balance both of these aspects of their sandbox. But I think that they do try.

Views
4 out of 5