Brigantine isn’t a serious solo ship. (Incorrect)

• Popular streamer put a video on about how Brigantine isnt a serious solo ship and that a solo brigantine isnt a serious threat.

I dont wanna name and shame because thats not nice.
    However, that is totally wrong.

Ive killed many other players, even a brigantine crew of 3 players.
    Ive killed skeleton galleons.
    Megs. Ive even done the fleet solo.

The only thing i cant kill is the Kracken in a Brigantine because its just way more harder than the sloop’s variant. However i can escape her quite well.

Overall the message of this post really is this.
    If anybody tells you something cant be done, take it with a pinch of salt.

In video games and in real life.

Now go out there and solo the kracken in a brigantine and post your story of how you did it!

Views
  • Imagine that you would fight against yourself. One you using the Sloop. Another using the Brigantine. Who do you think would win the most battles out of 1000?

It's more about the solo Sloop being significantly larger threat than the solo Brigantine. Then there is the easier pve.

The streamer, I have no idea who that is, is not "totally wrong" just because few solo players manage to use it in pve or beat worse players than themselves.

• @archaell In truth, both are just as likely to lose.

The only way to properly end a fight is to board.
    But if you have holes in your ship you gotta hurry back, yet stay on their ship long enough to sink them.

In a Brigantine i find i usually get infront of them, repair, board and then end it there and then.

In a sloop, im in an endless chasing game until one person runs out of resources.

Perhaps its coincidence, but ive got involved in a lot more action and been more victorious using the bigger ship than the sloop and its all down to its speed.

• @daringclarky I feel there are still things you have to learn. More speed alone does not equal higher combat effectiveness, and I'd argue its actually a stronger hindrance. As a Sloop I have actively used a ships speed advantage as bait against them and its a very effective tool. I've kited other ships into rocks and reefs. Boarding is effective, but not the only winning strategy. For every man that goes overboard trying to board you is one less man effectively maintaining the ship. For every cannon you strike sends them looking for health. You can overwhelm a ship without boarding them.

• @ghost-0f-dawn said in Brigantine isn’t a serious solo ship. (Incorrect):

@daringclarky I feel there are still things you have to learn. More speed alone does not equal higher combat effectiveness, and I'd argue its actually a stronger hindrance. As a Sloop I have actively used a ships speed advantage as bait against them and its a very effective tool. I've kited other ships into rocks and reefs. Boarding is effective, but not the only winning strategy. For every man that goes overboard trying to board you is one less man effectively maintaining the ship. For every cannon you strike sends them looking for health. You can overwhelm a ship without boarding them.

I appreciate your advice.
    However with the greatest respect, i manage fine in PVP. I regularly sink sloop crews solo, nevermind solo sloopers.

My skills arent in question here, im merely stating the brigantine can fight just as hard as a sloop solo.

On the contrary, ive sunk sloops because they assume im going to go full pelt at them, only to lower my sails and stay in their blindspot, hitting them over and over.

Speed is an advantage but its not the only thing i appreciate. I actually prefer the handling and turn radius. Its not as nimble as the sloop but it doesnt need to be.

The brig is like a drag car.
    Get comfortable with its handling and behaviour you can dance around even the nimblest of sloops.

I usually use only 1 sail when im exchanging fire. I can even stay in the blind spot and pelt them still.

Being comfortable is the best advantage and because im so used to it, i can utilize the ships advsntages as if i have crew onboard.

• @daringclarky

Why so salty about the opinion of someone else? In their view the brigantine is not suited for serious, competitive solo play. That does not mean it cannot be done nor that you cannot enjoy it.

Additionally the conclusion of solo brigs being a non-issue is fairly accurate, as most people that solo on a brig do so to be able to run and therefore are not threats.

Personally I think your view of boarding is required to be efficient at winning battles is a little closed minded and not using all the tools properly. Cursed cannonballs, when to strike with them and just in general can be just as combat impactful as boarding and is all dependent on the situation and enemy. I to believe that the sloop is the superior solo vessel, yet do not think that the brig is horrible.

Be the pirate you want to be, what does it matter that some streamer doesn't think it is optimal... you do you and enjoy.

• @cotu42 said in Brigantine isn’t a serious solo ship. (Incorrect):

@daringclarky

Why so salty about the opinion of someone else? In their view the brigantine is not suited for serious, competitive solo play. That does not mean it cannot be done nor that you cannot enjoy it.

Additionally the conclusion of solo brigs being a non-issue is fairly accurate, as most people that solo on a brig do so to be able to run and therefore are not threats.

Personally I think your view of boarding is required to be efficient at winning battles is a little closed minded and not using all the tools properly. Cursed cannonballs, when to strike with them and just in general can be just as combat impactful as boarding and is all dependent on the situation and enemy. I to believe that the sloop is the superior solo vessel, yet do not think that the brig is horrible.

Be the pirate you want to be, what does it matter that some streamer doesn't think it is optimal... you do you and enjoy.

Like i said i appreciated the advice.
    I just did not like the fact he said "I think you have a lot to learn" when i regularly succeed in PVP.

I wasnt bringing my own abikities into thr debate but it felt like i was being tarnished a noob, where i have video evidence of being quite the opposite.

Im simply sharing my opinion.
    Im not being salty or having a go.
    Im not saying that he is incorrect, im simply disagreeing with the fact a brigantine cant compete with a sloop.

Ive got videos to prove it can be done and quite quickly too..

For the record, i never said cursed cannonballs etc dont work and that boarding is the only way.

I simply meant boarding is my best strategy, the one i have most success with.

End of the day im sharing insight into what i have learned. This isnt a debate, im simply sharing what ive experienced.

Its up to everyone else to take the advice or dont. But to underestimate a solo brigantine has been the downfall of many sloops.

Yes many people use brigantines to run. I use it for the opposite, to chase down. Kinda like intridiction on elite dangerous.

The message was simply to not be put off by the ship or be intimidated piloting it solo.

Brigantine can be competitive. Ive got footage to prove it.

The more people underestimate her strengths the more ships i will claim sailing her.

• @daringclarky I think the brigantine can be used with a single person. Yet I do believe in high level competitive play the sloop is the superior vessel in combat when alone.

Additionally the style one likes to use in combat is in my opinion the biggest determination between what suits the person more. No matter what is technically or theoretical the best the person that plays is what matters.

You state that boarding is your most effective way of fighting and to be honest I understand. Yet my experience has taught me that boarding is based on how good the pirates are in the combat. How good you are at fighting and boarding and how good the other crew is as avoiding/denying you from boarding and if you board how the fights pan out. Therefore if I win by boarding, which I do fairly frequently it is more on me just being a better pirate or executing better in that fight. I have no doubt in my mind that you are nothing else than a good or even amazing pirate.

I am more defensive in my style and usually contain myself to my ship during battle (when solo), unless I see a clear opportunity where I know my ship will be safe while I leave and mainly wait for them to send boarders over to strike, as they are missing manpower. If you pick your moments and get a good salvo off it can be a game changer in battle, especially combined with a cursed ball or 2.

To be honest, I do not believe the streamer was right to dismiss any pirate as a non-threat. Even if the sloop is better it isn't going to be a 100% win rate and in the right hands any ship can be dangerous. I have been solo on a galleon starting up an Athena's for like 30 mins to 45 mins before my first crew members joined back in the day and still could sort of fight -usually just defending my ship, sailing and using cannons (exhausting amount of work, even outside of combat).

I am happy to hear that you aren't salty, but it seemed like you came here to find the need to justify that a solo brig is viable based on someones opinion and there is no need to justify what you enjoy doing. Not everyone has his/her view and people will notice when they are beaten by a solo brig, that they are not a threat ;)

Pick the ship and crew size that you enjoy and own it. If you are a good pirate you can use any tool and succeed. I am happy you found a ship that suits you.

• @cotu42 Thanks matey :)

• Only the noobiest noobasapien should lose to a solo brigantine.

• @marsmayflower said in Brigantine isn’t a serious solo ship. (Incorrect):

Only the noobiest noobasapien should lose to a solo brigantine.

Depends on the person piloting the brigantine 😁

• @daringclarky let me put it this way. If I were on my sloop fighting myself on a brigantine, I would dominate the brig. And I’m pretty good on a brig.

• @marsmayflower said in Brigantine isn’t a serious solo ship. (Incorrect):

@daringclarky let me put it this way. If I were on my sloop fighting myself on a brigantine, I would dominate the brig. And I’m pretty good on a brig.

Fighting yourself sure.
    Fighting me? Dont hold your breath.

Views
12 out of 13