There’s too many freaking sloops man!

• The main reason i believe there are lots of sloops, solo especially, is because while its fun to play in crews, sometimes you just wanna chill by yourself and not deal with people taking charge of where the ships going, playing instruments and being generally annoying.

While i do sail with and without a crew i prefer the solo experience.

I started SOT solo and it made me really good at it now where i can even take crews on myself so if i want human interaction i just fly over to them and throw cannonballs 😂

• @itz-majman

Ah'be thinking tis part o' thee fun matey! Yaharr!

• @glannigan said in There’s too many freaking sloops man!:

So here we have a dead ship that 99% of the player base does not use for various reasons and the biggest push on the forums is for a surf board with a sail and a front cannon for single players....

The Galleon needs a buff or something tweaked to incentivize players to get on!

XP bonus, gold bonus, Easier anchor, I don’t know the answer but I do know there is a problem!

I dunno maybe I’m crazy and someone from Rare will pop in and say 40% of all ships are Galleons. I can only go off my personal experiences and time in the game. And that tells me the Galleon is DEAD!

(Except for me and the 3 suckers I recruit every night).

I'm one of those suckers!!! Haha - at least most of the time we have competent sailors on board with us!

• @ruigtand-nl said in There’s too many freaking sloops man!:

In my experience a easy fix would be being able to go to the shipwright and pay some gold to up or downgrade the boat if someone wants to join or leave. Or to allow 4 players on each shiptype but this would not help getting into a galleon..

I like the shipwright idea for sure. Pay some gold - up/downgrade the ship to accommodate your crew size. Having up to 4 crew members on any ship would be nuts haha, I don't think that would work. Perhaps the only problem with up/downgrading your ship would be space on a server. If the server is at its limit and you are trying to add 1-2 people onto your crew, maybe the game could auto-transfer your crew to a different server with space. Since you are doing this from a shipwright, you shouldn't lose any progress and keep the loot on your ship.

• @spiralout46and2

Yee make a lot o' good points me harty!

I guess people like the next new thing, only natural. They are gaming explorers looking for the next diamond in the rough. Once found, they will enjoy themselves for a while till the next shiny new game comes along. It's like real life SoT - always seeking the next best shinies...

A funny image popped into my head while making this comparison. You know how there are shinies in the water next to barrels now. Sometimes you are on a crew that is focused and don't care about those, maybe stop once or twice to stock up. Then, there are those sailors who will stop at every barrel in the water if he/she sees shinies in the water. Those are how gamers are haha. Some stay dedicated to their game, and others stop and see what else is out there.

• @kerrs-holley said in There’s too many freaking sloops man!:

@spiralout46and2

Yee make a lot o' good points me harty!

I guess people like the next new thing, only natural. They are gaming explorers looking for the next diamond in the rough. Once found, they will enjoy themselves for a while till the next shiny new game comes along. It's like real life SoT - always seeking the next best shinies...

A funny image popped into my head while making this comparison. You know how there are shinies in the water next to barrels now. Sometimes you are on a crew that is focused and don't care about those, maybe stop once or twice to stock up. Then, there are those sailors who will stop at every barrel in the water if he/she sees shinies in the water. Those are how gamers are haha. Some stay dedicated to their game, and others stop and see what else is out there.

Thank you so much, Matey! 😊 Yes, exactly. A small minority of gamers will get stuck on one game and happily sink months, or even years, into it. World of Warcraft is a perfect example, but games like Minecraft and Fortnite also have very loyal fans that continue to play the games since launch. But the vast majority are always looking for the next diamond in the rough. I think this is where most of our Galleon players have gone lol.👍

That analogy about shinies in the water is perfect, haha... Some stay focused and strictly check barrels when needed and it's back to the ship. But many others see the the chests, skulls and crates floating with the barrels and drop anchor and jump over to see what's there. When a game has been out for as long as Sea of Thieves has, while most people will still be enjoying the game and liking it, there is always other shinies off to the side of the ship that entices most Pirates to drop anchor, jump over the side and swim out into the big Sea of Games, and check out what else is out there.

Personally, and quite simply, I think this is the biggest single factor as to why Sea of Thieves isn't as populated and busy as it used to be. It's not the games' fault, it's not Rare's fault, it's not our fault. There's no 'one thing' in the game to point a finger at and lay blame on. It's just the gaming industry as it is. 💁‍♀️ Gamers naturally want to play more than just one game over the course of a year, especially with thousands to choose from. It's just how it is.

There's a much bigger picture here if you step out of the box and look at it from a larger perspective. I think Rare is doing a pretty job in trying to adjust and adapt to the changes. Adding regular content and events, adding pets, reformulating Arena, dedicating support to the Creator's Crew to encourage more people to stream Sea of Thieves to give it more exposure and draw new players, interacting so much with their community... these are all things that show Rare is trying. This is a Developer that is passionate about their game, and cares about its future. I respect them for that and am glad to see them being proactive and trying to do what they can to keep players around. 👌🎮🌊🙂💜

• I can sail the Galleon solo pretty well (Although I can't effectively fight and sail it Solo). So I don't think it's the "difficulty" that is turning people off of that Ship. My whole crew will sometimes go AFK to go do things and I can get around the map fine on my own.

I think that there are three other issues at play here:

One is Random Crews. Put quite simply, they are terrible. Anchor-droppers, trolls, noobs, obnoxious potty-mouthed teenage boys, shrieking children, afk-ers and other undesirable types make Random Crews very frustrating.

Another is Player Numbers. SoT is a weird game that it not to everyone's taste. You love it or hate it. It's not for everyone. Unfortunately, in any group of 4 friends there's a good chance that 2 or 3 of them would rather play something else. So you just don't have as many dedicated crews sailing Galleons anymore.

Brigantines. Yep, they kind of make the Galleon redundant. Unless you happen to be 4 people.

• @kerrs-holley said in There’s too many freaking sloops man!:

@ruigtand-nl said in There’s too many freaking sloops man!:

In my experience a easy fix would be being able to go to the shipwright and pay some gold to up or downgrade the boat if someone wants to join or leave. Or to allow 4 players on each shiptype but this would not help getting into a galleon..

I like the shipwright idea for sure. Pay some gold - up/downgrade the ship to accommodate your crew size. Having up to 4 crew members on any ship would be nuts haha, I don't think that would work. Perhaps the only problem with up/downgrading your ship would be space on a server. If the server is at its limit and you are trying to add 1-2 people onto your crew, maybe the game could auto-transfer your crew to a different server with space. Since you are doing this from a shipwright, you shouldn't lose any progress and keep the loot on your ship.

I think you misunderstand how the population of a server works. Basically, each server has a max of 6 ships and 24 people. It is one or the other. So you could technically have 6 galleons on a server, though not likely. I have talked with @Ruigtand-NL about this before. The idea is simply. You are sailing a brig, with three people. And another friend shoes up. For now, the answer is leave the server you are on and start all over again. The suggestion is, let us upgrade to a galleon. Or downgrade if we are sailing a galleon and someone leaves. Pretty simple and would have no effect on the max number of ships on a server. And would still fall under the max number of players per server. It is a solid suggestion that really should be considered.

• I actually got thrown into an arena game with my friend once and we had to 2 man a galleon, was crazy fun but we still ended up winning lol.

The main issue is when people play this game they usually just bring along a single friend as their other friends could be away or busy or maybe they don't have many friends they play with.

For me its really not that fun to join in with 2 random players on a galleon, most of the time they don't communicate, you don't know their personality or their plans, for all you know you could be pirate legend and end up joining 2 new players caging chickens on crooked masts which is something I am sure no legend wants to do.

• @spiralout46and2 These are my words, copied and pasted from my brain.

I've had 3 different crews that I've sailed with since launch who have all moved away or play SoT far less than I do, so I'm always looking for crew regulars to join.

I've also found that now that the updates are once/month I personally just can't keep up. When they were larger updates every few months I felt I had more success because I could jump back and forth from one game to another over larger periods of time. Now I feel as though I'm constantly playing catch up to get involved in the next thing and I'm burning out a bit. Don't get me wrong, more things to do is great for this game and I've enjoyed them all for the most part, but personally I can't keep up. So when I take a break for a few days and my crew keeps playing without me, I often get left behind and have to catch up on the events solo if they are unavailable or have moved on.

• @badrobott

Sometimes I feel the same way hehe. I started playing this game when it first came out, and have barely got a chance to finish all these new adventures they keep coming out with.

• @badrobott said in There’s too many freaking sloops man!:

@spiralout46and2 These are my words, copied and pasted from my brain.

I've had 3 different crews that I've sailed with since launch who have all moved away or play SoT far less than I do, so I'm always looking for crew regulars to join.

I've also found that now that the updates are once/month I personally just can't keep up. When they were larger updates every few months I felt I had more success because I could jump back and forth from one game to another over larger periods of time. Now I feel as though I'm constantly playing catch up to get involved in the next thing and I'm burning out a bit. Don't get me wrong, more things to do is great for this game and I've enjoyed them all for the most part, but personally I can't keep up. So when I take a break for a few days and my crew keeps playing without me, I often get left behind and have to catch up on the events solo if they are unavailable or have moved on.

I know the feeling lol. I've been feeling that way lately as I'm slipping further and further behind in the progress I'd like to be doing in Sea of Thieves because I've been focusing more on other games lately. When I do come on, I feel like there's 20 things I want to work towards at once and not enough time to do it all in lol. Then add in distractions like Reapers Chests, Barrels of Plenty with shiny treasures and shipwrecks everywhere, and a few hours on the game can fly by like 10 minutes lol. It is hard to keep up unless you play very regularly. 👏😊🌊🌴

• @nofears-fun said in There’s too many freaking sloops man!:

The suggestion is, let us upgrade to a galleon. Or downgrade if we are sailing a galleon and someone leaves. Pretty simple and would have no effect on the max number of ships on a server. And would still fall under the max number of players per server. It is a solid suggestion that really should be considered.

This is one of the things I have been suggesting for a very long time. If we are anchored at an outpost we should be able to go to the shipwright and change ship size. The current ship sinks then the new one pops up. The new ship could start with a fresh inventory like when first setting sail to keep things fair.

The other necessary option is to long on to the same server as a friend sailing with your own ship. That way family and friend can sail together.

The to biggest obstacles to keep friends and family sailing is not having enough room in a crew. These two options allow players to keep sailing together. The more pirates sailing, the more ships on the sea, the more opportunity for fun for everyone no matter what they are looking for.

• SLOOP GANG

• There are many sloops because no one wants to team with randoms since nothing has been implemented to prevent griefing.

• @trenix90

Yeah and I have no friends

• @Glannigan

What do you want to buff the Galleone?
    You need to make the game hard for sloops again and nerf the sloop as i said in my thread last week.
    @d-jaguar already said it.
    To incentivice using a sloop for almost everything except OoS Missions and Tales maybe is wrong.

• @spiralout46and2 sagte in There’s too many freaking sloops man!:

It is hard to keep up unless you play very regularly. 👏😊🌊🌴

I play not much, but i also do not play other games that much.
    My playtime for all games is maybe 10-20 hours a week at maximum.
    I often do not play any game for days or even 1-2 weeks.
    My crew is more or less the same and we mostly play on a Galleone.
    4 out of around 12 people find together to play.
    And we have all done since launch.
    So no i disagree that you have to play that regularily.
    We just play the one or the other day / week and mostly for only 2-4 hours.
    I cannot remember we played any longer.
    So you can achieve it all pkaying like me 1-4 days a week for 2-4 hours.

Edit: All Events including the Tall Tales were done in a few days.
    It never took us more than a couple of days playing together to get all Event rewards.
    The Tales needed some time dedication, we didnt spoiler anything and did it all by ourselves.
    But this was a lot of fun and a little challenge the first time.

• @glannigan said in There’s too many freaking sloops man!:

So I’m not the only one who sees this right? Hell even the videos and screen shots and memes are all sloops!

No Galleons!!!!! Handful of Brigs and freaking Sloops EVERYWHERE!

The Wheel if Pain the Galleon calls an anchor....is this the reason?

Is it because the Galleon requires skill and coordination? Is it because it’s too hard? Does it not come with enough Cannonballs?

Not enough people can afford a $12 dollar mic? Everyone’s is freaking solo’n?

It’s lame! Some tweaks are needed to get some balance back on the seas.

We all know sailing a Galleon is 10X harder. How do you incentivize Players to use this ship?

Give it better rewards or something!

The reason, is open crews is a living nightmare atm.

I'd rather just solo sloop, other people have the same idea.

• I prefer to play solo sloop so I can chill and not feel rushed and just do what I want. People won't like my play style anyway as I avoid combat when possible and sink my ship if I have a rowboat with loot to reduce the chances of other players finding me. If that is your play style however then send me a message but I'd probably still play solo and I don't play everyday.

Views
54 out of 55