The Fractured Isles - Content Drop Idea - New Tool/Encounter/Event

• As mentioned in my post about a new trading company Scholars of Curses, I had a few ideas for other content drops.

Now I know the concept for a grapple or crab type boss is new. But this was just my idea on how it could all be tied to together and work in world.

Hope you enjoy

Lore

Confusion has poured across the Sea of Thieves. Word of new islands appearing and disappearing across the original three regions. Some sailors have even said these appear to be moving across the horizons.

Reports of a lone pirate can be found on Crook’s Hollow. She says that her crew attempted to go ashore one of these islands. On it they found a crack as if the land has been broken in two. Her crew ventured inwards as she was instructed to watch the ship. From the edge of the island bubble began to form, then a mighty rock appeared to erupt from the sea! Smashing the ship and making it appear to sail itself off. She claims though it wasn’t her ship leaving her, it was in fact the island taking her from the ship. Water begin to appear around her ankles, as if the island itself was sinking. Nearby she spotted another island and bested her luck with the sharks.

Many don’t believe the tale and instead blame it on faulty anchors. It wouldn’t be the first time a ship hasn’t been anchored properly and set itself of on it’s own adventure. Because of this the tool-smiths have worked with shipwrights to modify ships cannons to now fire a land anchor.

New Tool - Grapple Hook

These are rare items found in containers. They can be loaded into the ships cannons and fired at islands to make a rope which pirates can climb along. Making ferrying items to and from without a rowboat easier.

Another use is during ship to ship combat they can be fired at enemy ships to act as a way of boarding. If the rope goes past the cannons turning circle it will snap. Pirates can attack the ropes with their swords to also break them.

Final use for grapples is for land maneuverability. If the play has a blunderbuss, when the grapple is selected in the inventory when holding RT/Left Mouse, they will load and on release fire. Giving the player a rope to climb from their position. Can be helpful for those pesky loot items that are stuck on cliff faces.

New Encounter - Giant Hermit Crab

Due to the raising temperatures around the eastern part of the map the giant hermit crabs that were living there have begun to migrate for a new home. They are unique and have the ability to float to the ocean surface, which is where they spend most of their time. Because of this foliage has begun to grow on their shells making them appear as small islands.

Crabs can come in multiple forms with different personalities. All appearing as 1 of 6 islands. Occasionally these islands can just appear and not actually be a crab itself just a hollow shell.

Types

The Hardened Hermit
    No cracks in shell to begin with and takes multiple hits to puncture shell. Very few points where a grapple can be shot into.

The Scurrying Snapper
    Smaller and quicker. Upon first interacting this crab will move as fast as a ship in wind.

The Diving Devil
    Occasionally will go partially under water leaving a few trees poking out. Water becomes superheated around.

The Poisoned Prancer
    Highly aggressive, has plants all over it which spit poison the players as they walk past. (similar to snakes)

Nipper Senior
    Has larger claws (one larger than the other) which do more damage and are harder to avoid.

Attack Pattern

Uppercut
    Bubbles will begin to form at the front of the grab and it will attack either left or right near this area.

Swipe
    If behind crab or somewhere it can’t attack it will spin and swipe a claw as it spins.

Grab
    If the players ship is close enough to the island two eyes will pop up out the water and the crab will grab the ship with its claw. Similar to Kraken grab. Must shoot eyes to get it too let go.

Player Inhale
    If a pirate is in the water in front of the crab it will begin to suck them in.

Dive
    Will sit lower in the water for awhile. Similar to how the Meg acts.

How to Defeat

• Can be defeated purely from cannon fire however this will destroy the shell and will give less loot. Plus will take more time to defeat.
    • Player must shoot at cracked parts of shell to make openings. A grapple can be shot at foliage on the crab to then board it.
    • Players can then enter the cave of the shell (filled with water) and dive to attack the fleshy part of the crab. After so much damage the player will be shot out, similar to the effect a geyser.
    • Once defeated the shell will become hollow and the players can grab the loot inside.

New World Event - The Husk

A new type of cloud can be formed in the sky to indicate the location of The Husk. On first appearance it is just a small wooden structure sticking out the ocean. When a ship gets near enough though it erupts out to reveal a skeleton fortress.

This acts as a hybrid of the crab bosses and skeleton fortress. The crab itself is powder white, it is much slower and won’t attack as often however does have access to all its attacks.

The fort does have cannons a few cannons that it will fire at the player ship, the battle for the fort will always consist of 3-5 rounds. With the final round always being a new Skelly type “barnacled” they must be killed with a bullet but only once all the barnacles have been knocked off them with a sword (there’s multiple ammo crates on board the fort).

The encounter actually acts as two battles. If you kill the crab first the fort won’t move and is easier to board. If you kill the fort first the crab has less elements attacking you. Both hold separate loot as well.

And that's the full content drop, there could be a campaign similar to that of The Hungering Deep, with the character on Crook's Hollow being the main quest giver like Merrick.

Views
  • i like the crab thing, but then i dont know how it will work cause the seas can get pretty deep and im pretty sure crabs dont swim, they walk along the floor of the ocean, so idk how it would be able to reach the surface, and at the edge of the islands it normally kinda is a steep drop to the bottom of the ocean

• @captain-kyi

Awesome post. A few little tweaks here and there might be needed but overall solid post. Would you like this to be added to the Community Ideas Master List.

• Please keep posting great ideas. This is pretty soild stuff. Well thought through. Two thumbs up.

• @d4m0r3d said in The Fractured Isles:

i like the crab thing, but then i dont know how it will work cause the seas can get pretty deep and im pretty sure crabs dont swim.

This was something I thought of, but figured this is a bit of a "mythical" land some rules can be bent, in order to keep the crab type creature.

@captain-kyi said in The Fractured Isles:

They are unique and have the ability to float to the ocean surface, which is where they spend most of their time.

A possible logical explanation is they produce a type of gas that they can control their buoyancy with.

@ENF0RCER I'll be more than happy, any suggestions on improvements I'm all ears.

@Obliv1onZrock Thanks :)

• @captain-kyi

I like the Hermit Crab , great idea.

Now the thing about the Hermit Crab, is that it doesn't have a shell of it's own.
    It is a scavenger of shells from other sea creatures. As it grows it moves from one shell to another to find it's happy home.

IRL.. it can provide for some funny situations, in SoT maybe they could use "Broken Barrels" etc as their adopted Shell.

• @captain-kyi ehhh i dont like the idea of it floating, maybe make it a giant turtle or something, but then its kinda not as cool, who wants to kill a turtle ya know. but idk how to do the crabs, unless they made it so they went onto land and thats where you can fight them, but otherwise they are deep under the sea, but then theres no point for the ship grapple

• @d4m0r3d two words. Crab Turtle. As I said earlier it's a game so we can bend the rules of reality (this is a giant crab after all).

The creature could either be a hybrid of a crab and turtle. Or alternatively the crab could be a pest on the turtles back catching a ride to try to eventually steal it's shell. Or could somehow be controlling the turtle similar to how the Leucochloridium (why is the word paras1te banned from the forums) controls snails.

You killing the crab actually is freeing the poor turtles.
    alt text

• @captain-kyi yea the forums are super censored lol, and yea thst could work. A hybrid crab, or maybe they could give us some sort of scuba gear, like the og scuba gear with the huge heavy helmet, or potions that allow us to go deep underwater so we can fight it, and when you kill it a certain amount of times it unlocks commondations and gives you access to the ocean crawler gear or something

• @d4m0r3d said in The Fractured Isles - Content Drop - New Tool/Encounter/Event:

or maybe they could give us some sort of scuba gear, like the og scuba gear with the huge heavy helmet, or potions that allow us to go deep underwater.

Actually got similar mechanics written down for my fourth/fifth content drop ideas.

• @captain-kyi

Your post has been added to the Master List. I thankyou for your contributions. Any updates to this post you can leave as a reply to the MasterList.

Views
4 out of 11