Official Sea of Thieves Developer Update: November 14th 2018

• Ahoy maties!

It's that time of week again, another amazing developer update!

An info-packed update from Executive Producer Joe gives more insight into our plans for The Arena as revealed at X018, and teases future updates coming to the adventure side of the game you already know and love!

Talking points include:

Arena:

• Starting in the sea dogs tavern to scoring - core loop in place.
    • The team are in the early testing stages and making changes and playing daily.
    • Wanting to get this into Pioneers hands!
    • Will be rough around the edges on launch but will be polished as they go.
    • Sea Dogs are the fourth trading company - another way to progress to Pirate Legend - needing to hit the top level in 3 trading companies!
    • Arena is complementary to the experience.
    • Goals for Pirate Legends in Arena.
    • Cosmetics will be transferable across both modes.
    • Teams still working on both modes.

More:

• Quest system is being looked at to deliver crafted experience including more story and lore. The beginning for delivering new quests!
    • Pets - There is a team working on this right now!
    • A team is working on more features to enrich the experience further.
    • Thanks to all - For feedback and support - The future is incredible!
    Views
  • @musicmee

One of their best videos I'd say, heaps of exciting things on their way, a great time to be a pirate!

• @katttruewalker Agreed there!

So much detail and it's a video that fills me with so much confidence on the health of the game and the wealth of things still to come!

• Yep surely the best dev update so far.
    Not due to content but the way joe treated the subjects and talked openly about everything.

However this new alliance is intriguing me.. 4 alliance the players can choose 3 to max at lvl 50 and reach legend...
    I'm seeing merchant alliance going down in the choices of players.

• Great! Any hints at the release of the Shrouded spoils trailer?

• I wonder if the Bilge Rats have a letter of recommendation for the Sea Dogs?...

• @musicmee Goodness, there's all sorts in this one! Fantastic update with loads to look forward to.

Thanks for sharing!

• @nunoazuldimeter
    In regard to the merchant alliance comment I just have to say, "as it should go down!" Easily not my favorite!

• @rich223820 said in Official Sea of Thieves Developer Update: November 14th 2018:

I wonder if the Bilge Rats have a letter of recommendation for the Sea Dogs?...

I will recommend you to the business end of my Cutlass, good sir.

In all seriousness not sure how I would feel about that... if the new faction needs to be ground out to level 50 I guess it would all depend how the experience gain in the later levels per match played works out. I guess I dont really see any issue with that being another letter type you can purchase... they just need to add more things to purchase with doubloons to really force players to pick and choose going forward. I know I for one am sitting on about 500 doubloons and i still need to earn the ones for cargo runs... blah I fall asleep just thinking about it...

• So glad quests are coming...this is huge if it is going to be what I think it will be!

• @katttruewalker agreed so excited for the future of sea of thieves 😁😁😁

• @musicmee thanks for this😁

• I hope they'll change the Skeleton Forts to something less repetitive than this wave system...

Anyway, everything here sound really cool !

• @grievous32 said in Official Sea of Thieves Developer Update: November 14th 2018:

I hope they'll change the Skeleton Forts to something less repetitive than this wave system...

Anyway, everything here sound really cool !

I always found the waves relaxing after hours long all out war with other players to finally take control of the Stronghold... sadly that doesnt happen anymore and you are right, the waves by themselves are a bit of a snooze fest now.

• Yet another exceptional update...lots of good content on the horizon! :-D

• @musicmee I am really suprised at how the new information (for me at least I sadly didn't have the time to watch the stream about the arena) changed my view from unsure about the new game mode to "ok I can actually LIKE a full "PvP mode" " :D

The progression was a scare for me before watching this video since I was scared that the balance to get to pl would change too drasticially but making it so you HAVE to play adventure to lvl up at least 2 fractions with the sea dog fraction to get to pl is a very good solution for the arena not feeling like a "complete waste" (meaning only for cosmetic and no rep) but still not have the adventure mode beeing side crushed by the arena.
    When I read about the "shared progression" I thought that the 3 fractions would increase in the arena itself too along with the sea dogs and that was actually my worry, but thankfully I was wrong :D
    I like (and actually sort of suspected) the transferable/usable cosmetics in both modes since they try to not make it a fully different mode but try to "include" it in the adventure mode (still hope for making the arena accessible through the adventure mode like for example the pl hideout as an instance and not only having it as a selection in the main menu -.-)

And...and PETS!!!!!! Finally I can spend my sweet sweet money (or gaming time) to get the pets I want....meaning all of them but oh well no damage done there ;)

• @musicmee aye thanks for the update mate I hope we get pets soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• @musicmee wait does joe still have an invisible cursed canon ball in his hands?

• Did they say there was a team working on Pets or Pests?

• @wkd1337 I think the most relaxing thing in Sea of Thieves is to listen to the sound of the waves or the rain or the sound of the thunder when you're close to the storm.

I made a thread about the Skeleton Forts and I hope Rare will take inspiration from these ideas to create something a lot better. But I know this would take a lot of time because it would need to create new AI for each boss, new Skeleton Fort's skin, etc.

• @grievous32 said in Official Sea of Thieves Developer Update: November 14th 2018:

@wkd1337 I think the most relaxing thing in Sea of Thieves is to listen to the sound of the waves or the rain or the sound of the thunder when you're close to the storm.

Oh, if we are talking most relaxing... I would say the gong sound when the enemy ship has been sunk. Which, ironically, is also the most aggravating noise when it's your ship making the sound... not that ever happens to me anymore...

I made a thread about the Skeleton Forts and I hope Rare will take inspiration from these ideas to create something a lot better. But I know this would take a lot of time because it would need to create new AI for each boss, new Skeleton Fort's skin, etc.

I would have bet money we were getting a Captain Flameheart-themed stronghold in the DR... oh well... maybe something like that will show up eventually.

• So first we get Shrouded Spoils, then we get The Arena, and after that we get some new quest system.
    Future looks new & interesting!

• @grievous32
    I feel ya but part of me wants them to stay the same... at least always have one the same as it easily was the best part of the game when it came out and has sentimental value, lol.

• @acebead40319154 a dit dans Official Sea of Thieves Developer Update: November 14th 2018 :

@grievous32
    I feel ya but part of me wants them to stay the same... at least always have one the same as it easily was the best part of the game when it came out and has sentimental value, lol.

Well we could just change things to make it different, depending which Skeleton Captain leads the skeleton crew on the island and one of them could just still have this wave system while others would have other system for each different Captain. But it will needs more work then =')

• I’m super excited. I don’t care how buggy it is at first, this all sounds so substantial (finally!!) and I haven’t even had a chance to actually watch the video yet. Hope to see the game thriving again once everything comes out!

Ship battles with pets? Yes. Yes. YES!

• I get the feeling that he is truly emotional that the game is working when he thanks us.

Next updates look so great. I trust and I will support this game.

• I am very curious and even excited to see what all lies beyond the fog around Shrouded Spoils.

There is absolutely nothing though in this video that confirms the game is in a healthy place or that everything is incredible. The truth lies on the sea when sailing and the fact that MODES ARE COMING.

There is also a lot of hypocrisy going on. The forums have always been full of fans and the inner circle shouting down ideas of rewarding players for PvP. Yet the arena will award players for just that in a condensed PvP path that counts towards becoming a Pirate Legend. It is a testament to how soon some forget and even praise all that is wrong right before their eyes.

• @x-crowheart-x said in Official Sea of Thieves Developer Update: November 14th 2018:

I am very curious and even excited to see what all lies beyond the fog around Shrouded Spoils.

There is absolutely nothing though in this video that confirms the game is in a healthy place or that everything is incredible. The truth lies on the sea when sailing and the fact that MODES ARE COMING.

The end is nigh!

There is also a lot of hypocrisy going on. The forums have always been full of fans and the inner circle shouting down ideas of rewarding players for PvP. Yet the arena will award players for just that in a condensed PvP path that counts towards becoming a Pirate Legend. It is a testament to how soon some forget and even praise all that is wrong right before their eyes.

Or maybe you were all just wrong, the whole time.

• @grievous32
    Lol... u are 100% correct... just need that one, lol.

• So will skelly ship waves events still be a thing?

• @red0demon0

It should be, they've always said the battles type was their first introduction in the Sea of Thieves :)

• @musicmee "goals for legends in Arra"?

• @roughleech03117 Cheers matey... Arena is what I meant to put :D

• @shikia-caeleaum said in Official Sea of Thieves Developer Update: November 14th 2018:

The progression was a scare for me before watching this video since I was scared that the balance to get to pl would change too drasticially but making it so you HAVE to play adventure to lvl up at least 2 fractions with the sea dog fraction to get to pl is a very good solution for the arena not feeling like a "complete waste" (meaning only for cosmetic and no rep) but still not have the adventure mode beeing side crushed by the arena.
    When I read about the "shared progression" I thought that the 3 fractions would increase in the arena itself too along with the sea dogs and that was actually my worry, but thankfully I was wrong :D

I wanted to speculate on this topic right here. I'm pretty sure that when you turn in items even during the Arena that correlate with the other factions in that mode (chests, gunpowder, skulls, etc) you are going to earn experience for those factions (gold hoarder, merchant alliance, order of souls). Joe Neate already stated they were intending on you to earn gold when you turn the items in, so I imagine you will receive the experience as well.

I imagine the experience gained in the Sea Dogs faction will be earned in another way... similar to how experience is gained at the end of a match in, let's say for example- Call of Duty Black Ops 4. This is how I would like to see this done, anyway. If you were to turn in loot that normally correlates to the other factions and gain experience for Sea Dogs that would seem weird.

• @wkd1337 how is experience gained at the end of call of duty black ops 4? So I can better understand what you mean by speculating on the topic.

Views
25 out of 61