Forsaken shores - an update after the weekend's Pioneer testing

• @elem08 I was wondering the same about the site

• I thought Rare decided it was important to plan additional time for testing and fixes in order to release builds that were on time and bug free? Over a week late on a build sounds like improper planning to me. Thanks for the honesty in any case. Reality wouldn't be much different if you had planned an additional week and just announced a release date of 27 initially anyways.

• @camelfromlunch3 said in Forsaken shores - an update after the weekend's Pioneer testing:

@the3sheetsneate said in Forsaken shores - an update after the weekend's Pioneer testing:

Hi everyone,

Following on from my post on Friday, I wanted to share an update with progress towards our Forsaken Shores release.

Our priority is to ensure we deliver a stable, polished and bug-free experience that all our players can enjoy. We have just had a weekend of Pioneer testing, which has highlighted a memory issue in the build, which is resulting in an unstable build where a large number of our Pioneers were experiencing crashes. From our investigations this is a complex issue that we are working through solving, but as such we do not feel in a position to release Forsaken Shores to our players with confidence this week.

Our goal this week is to resolve the memory issue and get enough Pioneer coverage so that we are confident we have resolved the issue, prior to releasing to all of our players. As such, we are moving the release of Forsaken Shores to Thursday 27th September. This will give us time to implement fixes, test, and get builds out to Pioneers to gain confidence.

We appreciate your understanding with this change in our release plans. I know this will be disappointing, but I resolutely believe this is the right decision. We are committed to giving everyone the best Forsaken Shores release experience, and this will enable that.

Thanks to all of our Pioneers for their support in providing valuable feedback and bug reports on Forsaken Shores so far. Alongside helping us gain confidence in the release from a stability perspective, we have been able to make significant tweaks to the gameplay experience as a result of the feedback we’ve received, and it is better for it.

Thanks,

Joe Neate
    Executive Producer

I for one haven't had one single release or update from your team that wasn't filled with bugs. In my opinion moving the release date will only upset and make players lose interest. better option would've been to expand the event and story time to do them so that they could still explore and see all the cool things and some lucky might not experience bugs. Its very disappointing that this felt needed to be done when there were better alternatives. Such as releasing it and using the public as a test would've been far better than just the pioneers if the "bugs" and "crashes" were so frequent. Release as normal and monitor it on a larger scale.

Yeah just no. We have had almost a full month of weekly shambolic title updates breaking multiple things in the game and you think ignoring Pioneer feedback for a second time as they did with the barrel inventory system change will be a good idea?

This game is hanging on by a thread right now and putting out yet another update to massively break the game for thousands of players in order to continue "testing it" but on a larger scale is perhaps the stupidest thing they do could do right now...and after the last month that would be saying something.

• @katttruewalker said in Forsaken shores - an update after the weekend's Pioneer testing:

@tinballoon24929

We're all sad, mate, especially Rare, but better to wait than try and play something which has fairly serious bugs like the memory leak Joe mentions.

This sounds like the current build for the game. When do we get fixes for the bugs that are currently in the game. Sheesh we've been stuck with inaccessible sloop cannonball barrels for two weeks now. W*f..

• @camelfromlunch3 I don't know why people are upset now. They had said that they were probably gonna delay it Friday and that means they're most likely gonna delay it. I don't think people would be as understanding if it were to be released to the public in it's current state. There should have been testing earlier on so that we weren't so close to launch, but there's nothing we can do now but hope for the best and be more hyped for the 27th which isn't that far away.

• @cokney-charmer I had zero issues with the barrels most people i saw complaining about the barrel "problem" was not being able to see if it was empty so i'm not sure what on earth you're talking about. My i ask you not to demean me in that fashion i don't feel like it follows forum rules. Hanging on a thread? the player count continues to increase despite everyone stating its failing. I fail to see that. The only issue i have is spawning into servers where people are just sitting at outposts waiting to gank players as theyre spawning in. Half the features were disabled with the AI Ships but i enjoyed that a great deal and it didn't "break the game" at all. They tested the game in a larger scale for the release by having an open beta did they not? so why not have an open beta for an expansion to work out the crashes? it would pinpoint the problem more efficiently while still giving people what they want. If you fail to see the logic in that then thats your problem.

• @cokney-charmer I've never seen a developer put out as many updates as often as Rare has with this game. Seriously. Nobody does this. Accusing them of not working hard enough is less than unfair.

• @the3sheetsneate Sounds good! I am glad you guys are taking the time to make the experiance better! Thank you for all your hard work!

• @the3sheetsneate as I’ve said elsewhere it’s a shame but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Also hoping you can work in Cursed Fishing into the game for the 27th too! ;)

• @mcsquidly said in Forsaken shores - an update after the weekend's Pioneer testing:

@cokney-charmer I've never seen a developer put out as many updates as often as Rare has with this game. Seriously. Nobody does this. Accusing them of not working hard enough is less than unfair.

really.....ever think the reason why they update on a weekly basis is pretty much to fix outstanding issues from previous updates? this past month since Cursed Sails ended all they have been doing is fixing the things they themselves broke in their own game, extending current event to plaster over the fact they got so much wrong.

The issue really is just how many people praise them under the pretence that they are being transparent but the truth is, they are still fixing problems in their game the new stuff is breaking, and by breaking we are talking game breaking systems in the game and hard crashing of the game.

Hard working yes, regular updates yes....but those updates shouldnt break things and make things worse. When that happens its time to end the BS praising and expect them to fix the game people have paid good money to play and invest time in.

In my humble opinion of course, but happy you are happy :)

• @treefittymonsta I've dealt with this problem firsthand and I agree it does need to be fixed. I think they have all of their attention focused on FS now though. Plus now with it delayed they're gonna really have to do that. Maybe we'll see a patch this week who knows.

• @camelfromlunch3 the NDA prevents you from DISCUSSING ANYTHING about current build being tested in Pioneers...that includes what you just did. There is a post in the Pioneers Forum area about this very thing. Might wanna refresh the info about the NDA :)

• Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade - bEHAVI0UR Interactive: Several months without any word, and then suddenly a new incoming update after the majority of people have stopped playing.

Just Survive - Daybreak Games: Sporadic updates and little communication, and then suddenly they announce they are sundowning the game.

Destiny 2 - Bungie: Unwanted updates that actually REMOVE content for people that have been playing for a while, while ignoring some feedback.

Sea of Thieves - Rare: Constant communication with players, constant work to try and fix bugs that appear, delaying release of updates to try and avoid ruining player experiences, etc.

Honestly, when you look at the gaming industry overall, there are far worse culprits out there than Rare, regardless of how you feel about them. And these are all games I've enjoyed playing at some point. I think they've earned the benefit of the doubt.

• Are u sure u havnt left wanda with her cursed cannonballs in the system with all these bugs lol 😂😂🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

• @cokney-charmer said in Forsaken shores - an update after the weekend's Pioneer testing:

@camelfromlunch3 the NDA prevents you from DISCUSSING ANYTHING about current build being tested in Pioneers...that includes what you just did. There is a post in the Pioneers Forum area about this very thing. Might wanna refresh the info about the NDA :)

Please show me where i discussed the current build? because nothing i stated is against the NDA.

• Thank you for the update @The3SheetsNeate.

I look forward to braving this new land when it releases. I’m glad the team found the issues that were troubling the FS build and have the upmost confidence that the team will be able to work them out.

Until then see you out on the seas!!

• @camelfromlunch3 I agree about the PVP and from what I saw in the forums there was mass crashing I didn't experience anything but then again I wasn't able to play as long. But that were to happen if it was released on the 19th I think people would be more upset then it being released on the 27th. That would ruin the entire experience for me if I had to deal with that. I have mixed feelings about it being delayed but I understand that it needs the time.

• @camelfromlunch3 you talked about what you saw "trolls blah blah outpost blah blah"....think of it like Fight Club, first rule of Pioneers is that you do not mention anything about it outside of the Pioneers forum area, not that you are in it or what you saw or anything about the current build being tested even if its a vague description of something which you did. It was just a heads up as some Pioneers also doing this on Social media. :)

• @cokney-charmer So there is only one outpost now? did i miss something?

• @cokney-charmer OMG THERES AN OUTPOST IN FORSAKEN SHORES???!!!! WHO WOULD'VE KNOWN?????????

• @cokney-charmer also it says directly under my name that i am in it so i'm not sure what NDA you're reading but you have been misinformed.

• @rainn-flutterrs the fact you are both pioneers and would have seen the post in that forum area about what the NDA means and you are both just hinting at things by talking about what issues you did experience is kinda the point....also the very fact its gone over your heads in such a way that you both think you have to defend yourselves when all you have to do IS NOT TALK ABOUT ANYTHING PIONEERS is kinda sad.

but you both do you both and enjoy the evening :)

• Ahoy maties!

Since I see a lot of confusion here about what is allowed to be mentioned and what is not. I thought I would drop this here for clarification.

@khaleesibot said in A MUCH more solid reminder about the Pioneer NDA.:

Ahoy there, it appears there is some confusion around the Pioneer NDA. The Pioneer Programme Information category has a lot of useful information around this issue.

Per the Insider NDA you signed, you are not permitted to disclose any information about the Pioneer Programme to anyone outside the Pioneer Forum. You cannot hint, allude, or speculate with non-Pioneers, or other Pioneers outside of the Pioneer Forum. While we at Rare may mention that Pioneers will be testing features, or Xbox shows you are playing the Pioneer build, you are still not permitted to discuss, or share any information about the Pioneer Programme.

Hopefully this clears things up for everyone!

• @rainn-flutterrs said in Forsaken shores - an update after the weekend's Pioneer testing:

@cokney-charmer OMG THERES AN OUTPOST IN FORSAKEN SHORES???!!!! WHO WOULD'VE KNOWN?????????

Wow great job at breaking your NDA agreement @Cokney-Charmer

• @cokney-charmer I dont have to defend myself I said nothing at all

• @camelfromlunch3 yeah I didn't type that....if you notice it's actually a reply to me.....but you just proved you consider that breaking the NDA and its from the other guy who seems to not understand the NDA.

Like I said, you both do you both and enjoy the evening being blissfully unaware of anything important.

• @cokney-charmer I am quite aware you didnt type it but i was making the point that you obviously mentioning is just as bad as what you're claiming i violated. If you cant understand that then i feel sorry for you.

• So what I'm gathering is they don't want to release forsaken shores because it's buggy, yet the current game has a stack of bugs in it that have been there for weeks so you can focus on new content. Queue the twilight zone music.

Rare fix the current game lol. Your priorities are all messed up. There a literally a dozens issues and bugs in the current build.

• @camelfromlunch3 then you should learn how to construct your forum posts a little better then instead of looking more foolish rather than taking the advice and just you know, following the NDA correctly and as instructed to only talk about things Pioneer within the Pioneer forum which includes talking about the current build in any way.

• 10 paces gentlemen re NDA... :)

alt text

• Ahoy Pioneers

Just a gentle reminder that discussion or comments around your experiences in the Pioneer build are under a very strict NDA.

We have a dedicated thread in the Pioneer section for you to comment on the post which Joe has made should you wish to do so.

https://www.seaofthieves.com/forum/topic/72701/update-from-joe-fs-delayed-until-27th-september-pioneers-can-discuss-here

Views
66 out of 217