Safer Seas FAQ

• @shelley-preston
    Thank you for keeping the Shrouded Ghost in Safer Seas, I think those that protest probably already have it.
    I've been playing since day 1 and will take any opportunity anywhere to have that commendation.

People who will be using Safer Seas to get to grips with the sheer amount of detailed things they do need to do, learn, figure out, when you're browsing through the categories, the time it takes often sees you sunk. I think you have struck a very fair balance between the learning curve of the general game without being spawn camped by sweaty and sometimes toxic behaviour before you get to grips with the overwhelming amount of things to do.

Seasoned players who have 90-100 completion often forget how overwhelming it might be for a new Pirate.

Whilst I may not pop into safer Seas that often, there will be days when I just want to relax on my boat, tick off a few things on my to do list and not worry about looking over my shoulder.

I think Safer Seas is a brilliantly thought through introduction and calming zone for new and seasoned players.

• I'm very thankful for the time taken to put together a proper list of what is and isn't available on safer seas here. Thank you for this.

While there are things I would personally like if they added in (namely captaincy's ability to save ship loadouts and names), it's honestly a bit more generous than I was expecting, which I'm also very thankful for. I'm glad to see that they won't be depriving people of the chance to encounter the shrouded ghost (and other similar experiences like fighting the ashen lords) just because they don't want to take the chance of that encounter being ruined and the commendation being denied to them by pvp happy players.

• @blzofozz92 most likely not.

• @shelley-preston will players be able to sell to the reaper hideout or only at outposts?

• @pack6519

You cannot ever earn any Reputation for Athena’s Fortune or Reaper’s Bones in Safer Seas.

So would be pointless even if you could sell.

• Are we limited to just 1 ship on Safer Seas or can i have to sloops on the seas instead of 1 galleon

• I have a question that is the Voyage's Grade will be limit to lv40? Because of player cannot level up after lv40.

• @d3athgd Anyone is able to choose Safer Seas, regardless of levels but no rep will be granted after 40 in any Faction.

• @the-hax4r One Ship, single crew.

• Are you able to "scuttle and change seas" to cycle through world events?

EG: If I really want an Ashen Winds event.

• My only complaint with this is the fact that Captaincy & Guilds aren't just limited rather than fully restricted.

(Mainly for the Megaladon trinkets. Unless those are still tracked?)

• @voreo-sabrae now the meg trinket is really a big concern for me lol

• @Shelley-Preston

PvP v PvE is such an emotive subject no matter where your preference lies.

Has it never occurred to Rare that taking out the Eye of Reach. Muskets and flintlocks were available but took a long time to reload.

Maybe a flintlock and the Blunderbuss should be the only weapons aside the cutlass. At least it would be more in keeping with the golden age of piracy.
    They certainly didn't double gun.

A sword fight with blocking that worked and a game where as many of the quality of life issues are fixed properly, the positives of the Sovereigns should surely level the playing field.

I think where people who play the game have used it to repeatedly kill other players for their pleasure, double gunning and bouncing around like lunatics often voicing vile words is the root cause of why many players just want some space from that behaviour.

If you deal with the tools that allow that behaviour you will solve the issues that effect gameplay for the majority at the cost of losing those few who spoil it for everyone.

You keep the Roar which few players really enjoy, maybe using half that area for the ice world people seem to want creating a Fire and Ice environment.

Rare have done nothing with the Shores of Gold, huge area, nothing there once you've done the Tall Tale.

There are toxic communities growing up around Alliance servers and some who actually encourage payment through Patreon to have a boat on a safe server.

Maybe Rare needs to also make available 6 boats on a server to a group of friends. People who have traditionally come together as a community to create these environments have over time fallen out, fallen away and this has not helped the player base.

I was in a server last weekend where everyone allianced up, all strangers, the fun we had, that's the Sea of Thieves that your average player wants. Especially if time spent on the game is a huge consideration.

I would add that the original Arena was 20 minutes of absolute mayhem and fun. Why you changed it I don't know. Hourglass is fun but a 1000 wins for a curse. We should be doing hourglass for the sheer fun of it but alas most will leave at level 200. It should have stopped at 100 and maybe a league table like Emissary be introduced.

Rare has to end this ridiculous amount of rinse repeat behaviour that becomes so boring you never ever want to do it again once you have the commendation.

I feel it's laziness on Rare's part when they've run out of creativity.
    If you have run out of ideas, fix the quality of life and lets us enjoy the sandbox you've all created.
    We love the game and can be creative enough to enjoy it our way with the right tools made available. Safer Seas has proved to be popular, Alliance servers are popular, friends want to sail with each other and on more than one ship.

I have been playing Sea of Thieves from day 1 and come back daily if not weekly because I love finding treasure, doing voyages, and sailing the seas with the predominantly lovely other Pirates from all over the World. Nothing like positive player interactions.

• @triheadedmonkey Didn't some folks have a quest for the Skull of Destiny though? I assume if "somehow" you got a debloon quest for the ritual skull or the SoD then it just wont appear at the end of the voyage. I was hoping that for instance I hop on to High Seas grab the quests and pop back over to safer seas they would be locked and you cant start the voyage.

• Legend Of The Veil still available in Safer Seas?

• @aiko8999 said in Safer Seas FAQ:

Legend Of The Veil still available in Safer Seas?

Read the FAQ

Can I become a Pirate Legend in Safer Seas?
    You cannot become a Pirate Legend or access any Pirate Legend content in Safer Seas.

• @general-keys735 sagte in Safer Seas FAQ:

Good that you limited Safer Seas.

Personally, I won't use it since I don't like the idea of having PvE servers.

One request, PLEASE limit players from doing the "Complete this Tall Tale 5 times" commendations.

In December, my hard-fought gold curse isn't going to mean anything anymore...

Your "hard-fought" gold curse...oh boy 😂
    It just takes a long time but you don't need to fight hard for it like u have to do for the golden lvl 1000 Curses. And only people who achieved like nothing in life would be worried about a digital cosmetic not beeing "rare" anymore. Its like the Fortnite kiddies with their "OG-Stuff"...its just a digital cosmetic in a video game, so calm down.

• @d4rkxkevin ok

• I wasn't too keen on the Safer Seas reveal but I think you've got the balance right on what is within SS and what isn't. I don't generally post here but a lot of the replies come across as quite entitled and I want to add a bit of balance here to say if you're going to do this kind of thing, then the plan as it is looks pretty solid to still incentivise high seas for players after they've learned the game mechanics.

• Hi
    Question:
    How long will it take till players can have the same expierience in Safer Seas like in High Seas. When will the Restricitons get removed?

• @dekayone3006 When they choose to sail on High Seas instead of Safer Seas.

• @triheadedmonkey

Man, I bet he thought he was a real-life investigative reporter about to get the scoop of the century with that cunningly concealed trap he just tried to pull on you.

• I know this isn't the place to be argumentative or anything like that, but I'm having a LOT of trouble behind the reasoning of very long-winded commendations like Seeker of Ancient Vaults, Hoarder of Barnacled Gold, and even World Event commendations like Hunter of [Ashen Lords] and Raider of Cursed Strongholds just... being freely available to complete without issue in what's supposed to be the tutorial. I understand some people may have not had to fight for some commendations in the past, but...

Vaults are one of the only high tier voyages that not only encourage stacking but have a very inherent risk of getting a lot of loot stolen from post voyage, which is still fairly healthy for the game.

Hoarder of Barnacled Gold has consistently been given advice to tackle the Ship Battle World Event to find more barnacled chests, enticing those not looking to do said world event currently to just steal from crews that go out of their way to obtain the same treasure.

The world event ones are even more concerning. Hunter of [Ashen Lords] is one of the stronger incentives to keep doing Ashen Winds currently, and if players could perform that on Safer Seas, they may have very little reason to do so on High Seas, which is supposed to promote conflict.

Then there's Raider of Cursed Strongholds, which is opening the vault of 120 Skeleton Forts. I recently completed this one because the current Stronghold World Events are so very poor in content and profit, and I barely have crew to do it with. I still had to fight over these forts even post Fort of Fortune because I sought to complete it for the commendation (and deny loot to any trespassers who dared to be in my cannon line).

A tutorial really shouldn't allow you to complete 720 commendations in pure peace, but it shouldn't be devaluing the entire point to keep doing content where contesting is intended and part of the experience of completing the game. Yes, we still have Reaper's Bones, Athena's Fortune, and their respective Hourglass Factions, but they're not world event related, they're more advanced portions of the game that newer players wouldn't even tread well on. The main 3 Trading Companies and most of the world events are still just as purposeful in the nature of the game as everything that is staying on High Seas, and it would be appropriate if there are enough restrictions to prevent players in Safer Seas from "getting too comfortable" there.

• Convenient Stores - Supplies from the Merchants will save you a wait. Buy every Resource and Commodity Crate!

I supposed this is a list that could be nit-picked to no end, but why would this one be excluded, for example?

• @dekayone3006 said in Safer Seas FAQ:

Hi
    Question:
    How long will it take till players can have the same expierience in Safer Seas like in High Seas. When will the Restricitons get removed?

@triheadedmonkey said in Safer Seas FAQ:

@dekayone3006 When they choose to sail on High Seas instead of Safer Seas.

I am certain the restrictions will slowly get removed; there's no point in having them if they believe this mode is needed at all.

• @lethality1 said in Safer Seas FAQ:

Convenient Stores - Supplies from the Merchants will save you a wait. Buy every Resource and Commodity Crate!

I supposed this is a list that could be nit-picked to no end, but why would this one be excluded, for example?

Because you can only buy the commodity crates when you have the MA emissary flag up, but you can't raise emissary flags ;-)

• While I am glad to see there will be a new game mode to help bring a different playing experience for players, I am still disappointed. Personally if an anti-cheat could be placed into the game mode "high seas" it would be playable. Sea of Thieves is a lot of fun and I used to really enjoy playing it, however the hackers are so rampant and vast that it is impossible to enjoy the gameplay. So with that said, if any developers out there are reading this, can you please find a way to eliminate the hackers within the game? Legit players sinking people's ships and taking loot is one thing (that's apart of the game and totally fine), but someone using cheats to become invincible is just uncalled for. I have personally spoken to fellow sea of thieve players who all feel the same way as I do, it is no longer enjoyable because of the these hackers.

• @nex-stargaze said in Safer Seas FAQ:

Vaults are one of the only high tier voyages that not only encourage stacking but have a very inherent risk of getting a lot of loot stolen from post voyage, which is still fairly healthy for the game.

To be fair, 30 % of the usual value of a Stone or silver vault, without emissary, is pretty much nothing, so I don't see many people grinding Vaults on Safer Seas, past the novelty of doing one or two to understand the mechanics. People who don't want to waste time and gold grinding the commendation will still do it on High Seas.

• @kaoteek said in Safer Seas FAQ:

People who don't want to waste time and gold grinding the commendation will still do it on High Seas.

No they will not. Most players we steal loot from doing activities like this will likely not care much about the value of the treasure, but the safety in doing it all. Once you get a vault stolen from you and you're told you're trash for just "chilling and playing the game", you're staying on Safer Seas doing all that you please with nothing stopping you from going back to High Seas to face the music and become a better pirate doing the same activities you enjoy.

Opening 100 vaults is a pretty daunting task currently, emissary or not, because of the threat of PvP. Smart players will usually investigate ships parked at islands with Ancient Vaults on them to see if they're clearing out a vault, which is something that may happen a lot less if Safer Seas allows one to grind the main commendation for interacting with risky content with full safety and none of the risk.

in what's supposed to be the tutorial.

The idea that it’s a tutorial is copium from the community, it isn’t what Rare has said or promoted it to be. It’s literally their solution to the lifetime requests for PvE servers and they are handling it well. There’s still plenty required to be done outside of it to push people to high seas, but there’s lots to do if someone never wants to leave safer seas and that’s ok. Let someone grind out their 100 vaults, their 120 skeleton forts. What does it matter? People are doing it all day every day on alliance servers and the like. Their accomplishments have no impact on anyone else. Let them play the game how they want as long as they aren’t breaking the rules. There will still be plenty of people filling up normal servers, just like there are now.

• @abjectarity said in Safer Seas FAQ:

The idea that it’s a tutorial is copium from the community, it isn’t what Rare has said or promoted it to be.

Incorrect.

@abjectarity said in Safer Seas FAQ:

The idea that it’s a tutorial is copium from the community, it isn’t what Rare has said or promoted it to be.

Incorrect.

learning != tutorial. That's why I say it's wrong. A tutorial is the maiden voyage. It is an instructional guide. You cannot have a tutorial without instructions, unless you want to redefine the word itself. They say this is a great place to learn, but it is also a place for experienced users to explore, experiment, immerse themselves and go at their own pace.

Feel free to continue to believe what you want, and continue to be mad they have it set up the way it is.

• Greetings.

If I will be oh so lucky to come across Shrouded Meg and kill it on my not captained sloop in Safer Sea, will it transfer to my captained ship in High Sea? Trinket wise.

• Limit Captaincy, let only some milestones work. Like anything Fishing related.

I don't get limiting fun for other players, new or returning.
    "Sandbox game, play how you want!" ...is such a blatant lie.

• @missuspeanut said in Safer Seas FAQ:

Greetings.

If I will be oh so lucky to come across Shrouded Meg and kill it on my not captained sloop in Safer Sea, will it transfer to my captained ship in High Sea? Trinket wise.

If I recall correctly, the Shrouded Ghost Trinket does not have any requirements to milestones, it is available once your pirate has obtained the commendation at any point.

@voreo-sabrae said in Safer Seas FAQ:

What about some of the captaincy trinkets that are arguably annoying to do due to people being people?

You mean pirates attacking you in a shared world adventure game with no rules of conduct in relation to any in-game activity? I mean, that's just the game.

Since captaincy is not available on Safer Seas you will earn your milestones through the same trials or luck that everyone else will go through, warts and all.

I don't get limiting fun for other players, new or returning.
    "Sandbox game, play how you want!" ...is such a blatant lie.

You can still play how you want, but people are able to halt that fun with their own power. It's up to you to protect your fun in your area, just like at a sandbox in a playground.

Views
98 out of 280